3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rolled my Maxima two days ago....twice

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 02:47 PM

Let me start by saying it is a miracle to be alive and typing this story. I was going to visit my Dad via a four lane highway Thursday when it was raining. An eighteen wheeler began to pass me in the left lane and scooted over just a tad too far and his trailer hit the left rear quarter of my Max causing it to fish tail. I regained control for a split second but than it fish tailed again into the grass/mud shoulder and spun wildly out of control. It skidded out of control on the shoulder for about 50 feet until it hit an embankment, rolled over sideways twice, and came to a skidding halt about twelve feet from some railroad tracks where a train was approaching about a quarter of a mile away!!!! The air bag deployed and all of the windows were busted out, but with the exception of a few cuts from flying glass and some scrapes on my chest fromt he seat belt, I merely crawled out of it. Once the police were called and I told them about the 18 wheeler, they set up a road block and found the truck. Talk about lucky. Sadly, I purchased the car about 3.5 weeks ago. It was the red 92 5 spd with only 61000 miles on it!!!!! Ofcourse the car is totaled and the other guy is at fault. Also, my insurance company has filed suit against him for hit and run. Maybe a new Max is in my future. Well, I just wanted to tell everyone my brush with death. Incidently, when the car was rolling and I realized I was headed for the RR tracks, I wasn't paniced because I knew that I was certainly going to die and that this was the end. I hope that means I'm good with God or something!!!! So my advise from all of this......beware of truckers passing too close and for the love of all that is good....WEAR YOUR SEATBELT ALL OF THE TIME.
Old 06-17-2001, 03:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Maximus1000
Let me start by saying it is a miracle to be alive and typing this story. I was going to visit my Dad via a four lane highway Thursday when it was raining. An eighteen wheeler began to pass me in the left lane and scooted over just a tad too far and his trailer hit the left rear quarter of my Max causing it to fish tail. I regained control for a split second but than it fish tailed again into the grass/mud shoulder and spun wildly out of control. It skidded out of control on the shoulder for about 50 feet until it hit an embankment, rolled over sideways twice, and came to a skidding halt about twelve feet from some railroad tracks where a train was approaching about a quarter of a mile away!!!! The air bag deployed and all of the windows were busted out, but with the exception of a few cuts from flying glass and some scrapes on my chest fromt he seat belt, I merely crawled out of it. Once the police were called and I told them about the 18 wheeler, they set up a road block and found the truck. Talk about lucky. Sadly, I purchased the car about 3.5 weeks ago. It was the red 92 5 spd with only 61000 miles on it!!!!! Ofcourse the car is totaled and the other guy is at fault. Also, my insurance company has filed suit against him for hit and run. Maybe a new Max is in my future. Well, I just wanted to tell everyone my brush with death. Incidently, when the car was rolling and I realized I was headed for the RR tracks, I wasn't paniced because I knew that I was certainly going to die and that this was the end. I hope that means I'm good with God or something!!!! So my advise from all of this......beware of truckers passing too close and for the love of all that is good....WEAR YOUR SEATBELT ALL OF THE TIME.
Very glad to hear you're okay. The car will be replaced, although you may have to step up to a 4th gen . If I were you I would file criminal charges against the truck driver. If it was a door ding that's one thing, but he nearly killed you.
Old 06-17-2001, 03:13 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Damn man.....

good to see your alive!!! how bad were your injuries?? thats some scary ****...lastnight I was dropping my girl off after seeing a movie and coming down I95(4 lanes) and this FedEx bigrig was swerving in and out of the right lane(I'm guessing he was nodding off), I moved all the way over to the left lane just to be safe, those trucks can be a major hazard sometimes! anyways hope you make a full recovery and sue the HELL out of that driver!!!
Old 06-17-2001, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Weasel

Very glad to hear you're okay. The car will be replaced, although you may have to step up to a 4th gen . If I were you I would file criminal charges against the truck driver. If it was a door ding that's one thing, but he nearly killed you.

Bro dont worry about the car, its replaceable,Like Weasel said Thank goodness your okay.... man it must really suck, same thing happened to me when i had my 94SE....but my incident happen 2 days after i got the car. =(
Old 06-17-2001, 04:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Our cars are great, but I would not want to die for one of them. The car can always be replaced but we are not so lucky.
Old 06-17-2001, 09:27 PM

You said your insurance company has already filed a suit.

I would also file a personal lawsuit against the driver and his company. Most of these truck companies have very good insurance, so they would be happy to settle with you for a very nice sum.
Old 06-17-2001, 09:47 PM

Damn!! That's a pretty scary incident that happened. I'm sorry to hear that.. but atleast you got out okay and not severly injured. You are very lucky. While I was reading your post it kinda reminded me of my car accident. Painful memories... but like mentioned earlier.. the car is replacable and you are not. I'm also happy to hear that the police caught the guy in the 18 wheeler.. if they didn't find him... oh man.. that would really suck. Best of luck to you with the insurance law suits.
Old 06-17-2001, 10:18 PM

just like what everyone said, im happy nothing serious happened to you. hope the driver gets whats coming to him
Old 06-17-2001, 10:25 PM

Thanks for all of the kinds words. Like I said, I didn't that I was going to die, I KNEW that it was over. Thankfully I was wrong. Yeah, I intern for a legal firm and my next door neighbor is a civil attorney. So I'm covered as far as law suits are concerned. Hmmmm, how about a new 7 series....lol. I'll try to post some pictures of my car upside down near the tracks and some detailed shots in the junkyard after I get my film developed.
Old 06-18-2001, 12:17 AM
STFU n00b!

Wow.. glad to hear you're okay. Recently, it seems like it's 3rd gen Maxes vs. the World.

Again, just glad to hear the situation came out the way it did. it's bad to lose a car due to stupid people, but it's worse to lose a life.
Old 06-18-2001, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
Wow.. glad to hear you're okay. Recently, it seems like it's 3rd gen Maxes vs. the World.

Again, just glad to hear the situation came out the way it did. it's bad to lose a car due to stupid people, but it's worse to lose a life.
stupid people
Old 06-18-2001, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by SkyMax

stupid people
Glad your OK
Old 06-18-2001, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Maximus1000

Yea i think u got a few friends way up there. Good luck with gettin ur new car, it may be a long wait especially if u have to go to court.
Old 06-18-2001, 10:20 AM

Man

Glade you are ok, and you should be able to afford the 7 series! My uncle was a trucker and a friend of his also had a hit and run and the trucking companies love to settle! And after talking to my other uncle, a lawyer, he pretty much said start shopping for a car. You will get boats of money from the trucking company if you play your cards right. More good news is the trucker that hit you will never EVER be able to drive a truck again and it is very possible that he might not be able to drive a car again as well due to the way the laws work! Good luck with the insuracne company and if you get that 7 series, take me for a ride!
RB
Old 06-18-2001, 07:17 PM
Maxima Princess

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
Yeah No kidding....im glad I got rid of mine when I did!!!! hehe j/k I miss the car VERY much, however if it's wasn't the 3rd gen curse that was gonna take me down it would have been the money replacing all the parts of my engine that were dying at one time
Old 06-20-2001, 07:23 AM

I expect to settle witht the truckers insurance company for roughly four times my med bills (about 1100.00) and plus another $15,000.00 for damages. All of this is on top of the near $8000.00 they are paying for my car. I suppose a nearly new car paid for in cash is the silver lining out of all of this.