3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Weird Power Windows Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 05:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Weird Power Windows Problem

Hey everyone,
Ok here's the problem.
Last night I parked my car as usual and later that night it rained a lot.
When I got out there in the morning the front passenger, rear passenger, and rear driver windows are rolled all the way down. Everything inside is completely soaked. On top of that the battery is completely drained. Ok, so i jump start the car and roll up the windows but then the rear windows roll down by themselves. I have to hold the buttons in the up position for them to stay up. But as soon as I turn off the car, let go of the buttons, get out and close the door, the two rear windows roll themselves down again. Also, when the car is off, I can hear one of the rear window motors running, which is completely draining my battery.
I tried searching to see if anyone else has had this problem, but i couldn't find anythings.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sound's like the switch is stuck my guess would be the master switch panel on the driver's front door panel. Unplug the master and put the windows back up and see if it still happens.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:10 AM

ok, so i've taken out the drivers window control (unplugged it and checked it) and tried to put the windows back up but it didn't work from the master control or their individual controls. Then I realized that the p/w lock was pushed down so I unpushed it. Now when I try to push the windows up, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but what does always happen is that the two rear windows go down by themselves. The only thing thats changed is that the motor that was running when the car was off is no longer doing that.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:37 AM

Take out the master switch and take it totally apart and blow it out and let it dry. Put it back and try it. If it is still screwed up get another one. I have a good one and several others do too.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by bhunter
Take out the master switch and take it totally apart and blow it out and let it dry. Put it back and try it. If it is still screwed up get another one. I have a good one and several others do too.
Yeah that sounds like a good idea, but what happened was that i put all the windows up using the master switch. Then when they we're all up i unplugged the master switch, a minute or two later the two rear windows went down again. Im thinking it not the master switch because there's no way that it could cause the windows to go down when its not plugged in. But i'll still check that master switch. Im just trying to isolate the problem.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by america8371
Yeah that sounds like a good idea, but what happened was that i put all the windows up using the master switch. Then when they we're all up i unplugged the master switch, a minute or two later the two rear windows went down again. Im thinking it not the master switch because there's no way that it could cause the windows to go down when its not plugged in. But i'll still check that master switch. Im just trying to isolate the problem.
Take apart your other switches too and dry them out also. I also have one of those switches.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:35 PM
mod or sell?

if your rears went down with the master unplugged, then I'd check the window regulators.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:10 PM

If you're taking out the circuit cards, make sure you resolder the joints for the large white relays. That has fixed a ton of window problems for me......
Old 05-16-2006, 08:18 PM

You need an exorcist! J/K You definitely have a unique problem on your hands, though. Hopefully one of our electronic experts will chime in. My only suggestion has already been stated: get another master control switch.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:25 PM

That's wierd that they'll both go at the same time. When you were watching the window's go down with the master switch unpluged did the window's go down from the motor or kinda fall down. If it was unmotorized then i'd 2nd
then I'd check the window regulators.
. You could also try the same thing with the rear door's take one side off and unplug the switch.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Dude, I've got NOS!!!1!!1!1one

Sometimes that spastically happens to me. Well the motor stays running for 30-40 seconds after turn off but nothing happens. Its really weird, I thought my car was possessed when it first happened.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Dude, I've got NOS!!!1!!1!1one

Sometimes that spastically happens to me. Well the motor stays running for 30-40 seconds after turn off but nothing happens. Its really weird, I thought my car was possessed when it first happened .
Old 05-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by joe94gxe
Sometimes that spastically happens to me. Well the motor stays running for 30-40 seconds after turn off but nothing happens. Its really weird, I thought my car was possessed when it first happened .
Hi there,

I have just come accross this forum after serching internet about the exact same problem I found on my wife's car.
Rear right window will intermitently lower itself and the only way to get it back up was to use the master pad (on drivers door to wind the window up and then use the lock button)
Old 06-08-2006, 05:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by internetautomar
if your rears went down with the master unplugged, then I'd check the window regulators.
Hi there
Where abouts are "the window regulators" you reffered to located?
Old 06-08-2006, 05:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LQ91SE
If you're taking out the circuit cards, make sure you resolder the joints for the large white relays. That has fixed a ton of window problems for me......
Hi there,

Where abouts are the circuit cards and large white relays located?
Any guides/tips on what exactly to do to resolder the relay joints?
Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 05:22 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by enfantterrible
Hi there
Where abouts are "the window regulators" you reffered to located?
Old 06-08-2006, 05:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK to expand on the previous two posts/questions:

Our maxima's rear drivers side window has been playing up (lowering intermitently) and I was unable to find the cause. The fix was to simply use the window lock button.
Today though the whole thing just died completely so now none of the windows can be operated. I have checked the fuses and they all appear to be fine.
I am looking for tips on where else can I look for a fault.
Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Thanks for the speedy response!
Old 06-08-2006, 05:37 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

OK to expand on the previous two posts/questions:

Our maxima's rear drivers side window has been playing up (lowering intermitently) and I was unable to find the cause. The fix was to simply use the window lock button.
Today though the whole thing just died completely so now none of the windows can be operated. I have checked the fuses and they all appear to be fine.
I am looking for tips on where else can I look for a fault.
Thanks
I guess would be the master switch on the driver door is toast...Fairly common problem on these cars...

If you are a diy kind of guy,take the master switch out and look for burnt/bad spots on the curcuit board,then try to solder the burnt connections...
Old 06-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I guess would be the master switch on the driver door is toast...Fairly common problem on these cars...

If you are a diy kind of guy,take the master switch out and look for burnt/bad spots on the curcuit board,then try to solder the burnt connections...
Thanks mate,

yes I am a DIY type, or at least I like to think I am.
Have just pulled the master switch apart but could not see/find any visible damage.
Found the "large white relays" mentioned in one of the posts on the PCB of the master switch assembly.
Everything looks OK, I cleaned it all up with compressed air and when I put everything back I realised that I can no longer lock the car using the keypad on the drivers door . I do not know whether your (American) models have the pad on the door to lock/unlock the car?
Maybe the thing has been reset since I disconnected the power to it?
Now not only I have a drivers window stuck half way up (which is not good given the amount of rain we've been having as of lately) but I can no longer lock the door.

I have tried using search on this forum to find other related post or at least schematic drawings (or link to them) but for some reason the damn thing keeps saying I do not have access to that feature.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:28 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Thanks mate,

yes I am a DIY type, or at least I like to think I am.
Have just pulled the master switch apart but could not see/find any visible damage.
Found the "large white relays" mentioned in one of the posts on the PCB of the master switch assembly.
Everything looks OK, I cleaned it all up with compressed air and when I put everything back I realised that I can no longer lock the car using the keypad on the drivers door . I do not know whether your (American) models have the pad on the door to lock/unlock the car?
Maybe the thing has been reset since I disconnected the power to it?
Now not only I have a drivers window stuck half way up (which is not good given the amount of rain we've been having as of lately) but I can no longer lock the door.
I would check the wiring going to the master switch to see if it has power going to it when you cycle the key on..If there is no power then it would not be the master switch..

I have tried using search on this forum to find other related post or at least schematic drawings (or link to them) but for some reason the damn thing keeps saying I do not have access to that feature.
You have to donate $20 to the forum to enable the search feature...[very worth it]
Old 06-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

I was not aware of the donantion scheme, not sure how easy it is to do it given I am in Australia but will look into it.
Cheers
Old 06-08-2006, 07:37 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

I was not aware of the donantion scheme, not sure how easy it is to do it given I am in Australia but will look into it.
Cheers
You pretty much need a paypal acct. to donate the $20...

http://forums.maxima.org/payments.php
Old 06-30-2006, 09:12 AM

I have a P/W question as well. THe only window that works is the read driver side window. The rear passenger side window seems to do nothing. When using the switch, no sound is made (i.e. from the motor). In the front, the first time I try to use the switch to roll the windows down, the motor seems to make a slight noise, but it is faint and momentary. The window does not move. I found out the hard way that I can "push" the window down about an eighth of an inch, but now it won't stay up any more and the switches still do not roll down/up the windows.

If it were only a regulator problem, the motors would still make noise, right? So am I safe to assume I have to replace the motors? Also, if there is a problem with the motors, is there a chance the regulators are OK, or would I have to install the new motors to find out?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:02 AM

I have the same problem... I put down the front 2 windows the other day and now I can't get the passenger up and the rears are unresponsive. The only one that works is the front driver side. Any ideas?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by KNYFE
I have the same problem... I put down the front 2 windows the other day and now I can't get the passenger up and the rears are unresponsive. The only one that works is the front driver side. Any ideas?
Would this be a problem on the I30 or a 3rd gen maxima?
FWIW you may have pushed the window lock switch and locked them
Old 07-06-2006, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Would this be a problem on the I30 or a 3rd gen maxima?
FWIW you may have pushed the window lock switch and locked them
I'm an idiot. Actually figured it out on my own but thanks for the advice. Thats what I get for having other people move my car.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:49 AM
mod or sell?

LOL, glad you figured it out.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:34 AM

Hi there,

I have just come accross this forum after serching internet about the exact same problem I found on my wife's car.
Rear right window will intermitently lower itself and the only way to get it back up was to use the master pad (on drivers door to wind the window up and then use the lock button)
My right rear window on the 3rd Gen i used to own did it too, except mine would sometimes go up and down by it self. Again the lock button was the only thing that would stop it. Only did it intermittently too.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by stevesmax
My right rear window on the 3rd Gen i used to own did it too, except mine would sometimes go up and down by it self. Again the lock button was the only thing that would stop it. Only did it intermittently too.
did you find a fix for it by any chance?
Old 07-20-2006, 05:10 AM
Alex_V

Its all in the switches. replace the ones thats giving problems and that should solve it.

~Alex