3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Plastic housing on E36 HDLights need replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Plastic housing on E36 HDLights need replacement?

Hello,
I am looking at various E36 headlights for my max and was wondering if I need to get the ones with the plastic housing if I want to have them flushmounted, or can I get the new ones with a glass housing? Thanks.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:26 PM

ok, what exactly r u tryin' to say??? if u need E36 headlights go on Ebay and u can find them dirt cheap. the ones with the plastic lens r not gonna come ready to be flush mounted with the maxima body lines, u would have to customize that on ur own. the glass lens is a bit bigger i believe. its up to u if u want the plastic lens or the glass lens.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Thanks for the input. My questions was, if I get the light with the glass housing, can they be modified to be flushmounted on my Max, or do I have to get the ones with a plastic housing in order to do that? What is required to flushmount them? Do I need to take off the housing by cutting them, or what? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Having the plastic lens is probably easier since you have to cut and fabricate gts or wade covers for the lights to fit flush.

This is from Triple G.

im sorta double posting (i put pics in the members rides section), but i wanted to give anyone a headsup who might be doing this.

Ok so i have had my e36 headlights for 9 or so months and they werent flush mounted and i was sick of how they looked. So i studied awsm66 and craig brace and james92se's pictures of their installs. i bought some headlight covers and went to town.

things to keep in mind, you can still use some of the current plastic lens of the e36, but way less than i or my dad thought. we actually only used a small amount of the sides and very little of the top. you can choose to not use any if you want, but it made it easier for us to line up the covers with the lens and making them flush. we test fit about 4 times to make sure the light output was correct and that the covers sat flush on with the hood and corners. also mine are not sealed on the sides completely, but they are fine from getting wet inside and are fine. I went this route as i couldnt think of an easy way to join the sides because of the difference in the e36s and maxima contours. but like i said its not a problem.

it took my dad and i about 14 hours total, but over the course of 3 days as we had other things going on and just worked on them when we had time but made it a priority. it can probably be done in a day, but we didnt rush. so im not really sure how long it will take you.

as far as light output its great.

ive only got a few pics right now, but ill take some more either tomorrow or in a couple days.

you can click on the pics for a larger view and see what i really mean by flush mounted. i gotta thank michael, craig and james for doing it before me and having great pictures.

i think i covered most of it, but if you got questions feel free to ask.