3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Step 1: Strip car

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Step 1: Strip car

Old 06-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Old 06-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Old 06-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Old 06-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Old 06-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Copy/paste from the other forum

The pics pretty much explains itself. I'm stripping the car to help lower the cost of painting. Besides the molding/frame around the rear glass and on top of the windshield, everything else that's either rubber or plastic was removed. If it wasn't for those trim pieces I would have absolutely no masking lines. I plan on masking of the rear glass myself, which I'll pull back the molding and tape it on the rear glass. Mike, I know you know what I'm talking about because it was your suggestion.

The plan is to keep the car white, and to be honest I might keep my side door molding. They serve a lot more purpose being on than off, but I did take them off the car for painting.

They will paint the bumper covers, grill, door moldings and Stillen kit seperately off the car. Then I'll re-install everything. Depending on how I feel I might do the door, trunk and hood jams myself. They charge extra to do those area. Since these areas are out of sight I wouldn't mind using the spray can to touch them up.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:30 AM

looks good thats how i am gonna do my maxima when i get ready to paint it. it is just so much easier and chepaer to strip it yourself. you really dont need to be to handy with tools to do it and its save you lots of time and body hours with the paint shop.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

good lord...can't wait to see it finished Mike
Old 06-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

try to see if you can get another door for the rear.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:52 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Awesome! I am planning on repainting the Max next summer. Some quick questions for ya...

(1) Why did you remove the interior door panels?

(2) How did you remove the door sideguards?

(3) That's a monstrous garage, why not do it at home?

Subscribed like WHOA
Old 06-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Awesome! I am planning on repainting the Max next summer. Some quick questions for ya...
Subscribed like WHOA
1)Because I plan to dynamate the intire interior, doors, under carpet, and I'm debating if I want to remove the headliner
2)Flat screw driver, pry the corner up and pull
3)Don't temp me

Dan, you're coorect I might send the money and get a door shell
Old 06-19-2006, 05:26 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CandiMan
1)Because I plan to dynamate the intire interior
I thought you meant DYNAMITE not dynamat on first read
Old 06-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by DanNY
rear?...his rear doors appear fine. That front drivers door though...not so much.

edit: When are you planning on taking it to the shop Mike?
Old 06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by Michael
When are you planning on taking it to the shop Mike?
Mike to be honest with you, what I'm starting to realize is that whenever you start a project (home remodling, auto repair, stamp collection, landscape work) you start off saying "I want to do X, Y and Z" But as you start the project and go deeper into the project you start saying to yourself, since I'm doing X I might as well do Xa and Xb. Then you start Y and you realize the same thing, and so on and so on. It's a classic case that you should always add 10% onto your budget and time, regardless of which project you plan on doing.

Between home stuff, family, and now the Max I've officially bitten off more than I can chew. For all you guys who have local friends and family who's always willing to lend a helping hand, you better count your blessings.

So to answer your question when am I planning on taking it to the shop, I don't know. But let me ask you this, if you wanted to re-paint your door, trunk and hood jams would you do the jams first then paint the car. Keep in mind I'll be painting the jams with spray paint. How about the interior, would you sound damping the interior before painting the car? What would be your order of things if you wanted to paint the jams, paint the exterior and sound damping the interior?
Old 06-20-2006, 02:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that's the driver door you n00b

cmon Mike, I remember that air compressor you got a while ago, doooo iiiiiitttt
Old 06-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by CandiMan
Mike to be honest with you, what I'm starting to realize is that whenever you start a project (home remodling, auto repair, stamp collection, landscape work) you start off saying "I want to do X, Y and Z" But as you start the project and go deeper into the project you start saying to yourself, since I'm doing X I might as well do Xa and Xb. Then you start Y and you realize the same thing, and so on and so on. It's a classic case that you should always add 10% onto your budget and time, regardless of which project you plan on doing.

Between home stuff, family, and now the Max I've officially bitten off more than I can chew. For all you guys who have local friends and family who's always willing to lend a helping hand, you better count your blessings.

So to answer your question when am I planning on taking it to the shop, I don't know. But let me ask you this, if you wanted to re-paint your door, trunk and hood jams would you do the jams first then paint the car. Keep in mind I'll be painting the jams with spray paint. How about the interior, would you sound damping the interior before painting the car? What would be your order of things if you wanted to paint the jams, paint the exterior and sound damping the interior?
I know full well what you mean. Why do you think I never finished the first 93. I kept finding more I wanted to do then I never could get the money or time to do it and officially got burned out. I am trying not to make that same mistake on my current 93.

I would paint the door jambs first but to be honest i dont think I would use rattle can paint. Thats just me but it will chip easier and will not look as good as your nice new paint job you will have on the outside. To be honest the way I would do it (and the way I am doing my next paint job on a Maxima) is pull the trunk, hood and doors (pull from the door side so you dont have to mess with adjustments so much) and paint it all off the car. That way you can just tape up the interior like I did in my pic below and paint the jambs along with the rest of the car. Its a little more work though.

I would be careful though and not take it too far like I did or eventually it might wind up like mine did (just sitting being used as a parts car while I fix up two VE5s (the 92 PA has and my current 93).
Old 06-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by MrGone
that's the driver door you n00b

ugh...right right...front door. don't make me kick you in the nutz
Old 06-20-2006, 09:07 AM
mod or sell?

nice jeep wheel, 4x4 much?
Old 06-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
nice jeep wheel, 4x4 much?

I put those on when a hurricane was coming (I think Ivan) because I didnt want the car to fall on its suspension if it was blown off the jack stands.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:27 PM
I will eat your children

step 2:?????
step 3: Profit?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:04 PM

Subscribed like WHOA
you cant take off the door handles or glass without taking off the door trim panels......................

looking good so far.......... i would change the front door though, fixed rust never goes away.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

I put those on when a hurricane was coming (I think Ivan) because I didnt want the car to fall on its suspension if it was blown off the jack stands.
was that the storm i drove through to get to NOPI that year?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Chris91SE
was that the storm i drove through to get to NOPI that year?

no this was the year before last...remember my car was at some guys shop supposedely being finished when I went to NOPI that year...thats been 4 years ago almost I think (maybe 3)...has Dan gotten his extinguisher yet lol .
Old 06-21-2006, 03:11 AM

no this was the year before last...remember my car was at some guys shop supposedely being finished when I went to NOPI that year...thats been 4 years ago almost I think (maybe 3)...has Dan gotten his extinguisher yet lol .
and i was going to go tot hat one too, but i didnt feel like dodging trees on the expressway with my freshly painted car..................................the good old days!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:39 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Old 06-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

focker is either huffing it or using it as a door stop.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

focker is either huffing it or using it as a door stop.

lol...let me see if I can come up with another one (he had a few at the time but not sure if he has any right now) and see how much a hazard shipment will be. i will email you later if I find something so I dont ***** up Mike's thread anymore.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:13 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Sorry to bump an old thread, but whatever became of this project?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Sorry to bump an old thread, but whatever became of this project?
I forgot this thread existed, so here you go. The car was strip further before being sent to the body shop. Both fenders and all four doors were removed.

For you guys with sagging 3rd gen doors you should know about these. I bought four hinges for both front doors.

And finally it was towed to the body shop with no fenders, bumpers or doors under the cover

While I took the doors and fenders
Old 09-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Banned

dang dude you got alot of rust on your max
Old 09-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Due to my home project I had going on at the same time I wasn't able to get too many in progress pics. All I got was the doors being sanded and primed and finally after the body and panels were painted and cleared.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
dang dude you got alot of rust on your max
On the contrary to what you're seeing, this car has very little rust. Remove any original door hinges on a 3rd gen and you will probably see the same thing. It looks like Nissan paninted the A piller after the hinges were installed. And those rust spots you see on the rocker panel is all surface rust from where I had the Stillen side piece riveted on.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Here's one more in progress pics

The body panels and Stillen kit was wrap and taken home

And finally the car being towed back home

I initially tried to work something out with Michael, having him paint the car. We are a tad bit too far apart from each other to have this job done with no hassle. So I said heck with it a took it to a local shop. I had a couple high end body shops in mind but reality and life came into play and I took it to a local Maaco. This establishment uses BASF products compared to some of the other high end shop that uses Silkens, Dupont, etc.

The plan is for me to put on the body panels and take it back for the final buffing. So far I've installed the rear bumper and hung the four doors, but all four door hinges and stricker needs adjustment. After the doors then the fender and front bumper. What you can't see in the pics is that they did the hood and trunk jams and painted the underside of those two pieces. So far I'm pleased with the results. They could have taped off the rear window molding a little bit better but if you're firmiliar with the rear window molding on a 3rd gen you'll know it's a molding that can't be removed unless the glass is removed. It's not a perfect 10 but it's pretty reasonable for the $2150 price tag.

Since I went through all the trouble of removing the trim pieces and panels I could have went for a different or custom color. Then I would have to paint the engine bay and truck area, besides I like the white.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:03 AM

and the final outcome was.....................................
Old 09-28-2006, 10:13 AM

You must have big plans for her, Please keep us updated.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:52 PM

If you dont mind me asking, how much did this cost and what was the turnaround from the shop? I'd like to get a new paintjob within the next few months.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by shavedmax
and the final outcome was.....................................
It's not completed. It's on me to put the car back together and return it to them for final buffing

Originally Posted by mikekantor
If you dont mind me asking, how much did this cost and what was the turnaround from the shop? I'd like to get a new paintjob within the next few months.
I don't mind you asking if you don't mind reading
I paid $2150, and I was willing and ready to pay $3500 at a higher end establishment but shet happens and I didn't go that route. The turn around time was extremely long because I told them I wasn't in a rush. If you've ever dealt with vendors that's the last thing you want to tell them. "I'm not in a rush" because they will put you on the back burner. That I knew and I was willing to accept it.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:21 PM
I miss my VE

She's turning out beautiful. Don't forget about this thread when your done
Old 09-28-2006, 06:01 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by mikekantor
he posted a $2150 price tag on the paint job from a Maaco
Old 09-28-2006, 06:58 PM
NWP Engineering.com

That's awesome man! I can't wait to see the finished product! I'm sure it will be flawless!

For me, it's "Step 1: Strip car" then... uhhh... I think that's it.

Quick Reply: Step 1: Strip car