3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Replace auto climate control with manual one

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Replace auto climate control with manual one

Does anyone know if you can replace the auto climate control with a manual one? It seems the temperature sensors are going bad, and so the car doesn't heat and cool as it should, but every component is working fine (heater, a/c etc.). Maybe I can just swap out the auto control unit with a manual one?

Cheers
Old 06-25-2006, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by mszilves
Does anyone know if you can replace the auto climate control with a manual one? It seems the temperature sensors are going bad, and so the car doesn't heat and cool as it should, but every component is working fine (heater, a/c etc.). Maybe I can just swap out the auto control unit with a manual one?

Cheers
No; I don't think anyone is going to downgrade from a luxury feature to a manual one. You say the car "doesn't heat and cool as it should, but every component is working fine (heater, a/c etc.)"??????

What exactly is wrong? There is a sensor in the car behind the radio bezel, one on the dash, and one outside where the hood latch mechanism is. This system rarely goes bad, except for the digital display. I have extra units.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:34 AM

people havr upgraded, so im sure you can downgrade. but before you try doing that at least make sure that the sensors are the problem. i had a problem in both my cars with the vacuum switch that opens a valve that allows coolant into the heater core. it's on the firewall. that may be your problem.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:55 AM
mod or sell?

it's ALOT easier (probably cheaper too) to just replace the sensor if that is truly what is wrong
Old 06-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Will
No; I don't think anyone is going to downgrade from a luxury feature to a manual one. You say the car "doesn't heat and cool as it should, but every component is working fine (heater, a/c etc.)"??????

What exactly is wrong? There is a sensor in the car behind the radio bezel, one on the dash, and one outside where the hood latch mechanism is. This system rarely goes bad, except for the digital display. I have extra units.
Well, the A/C was recharged last year, and I know the heater core is good...

It's kinda weird... So what's happening is that, on max cold (18 deg), it's not as cold as it should be, and on max hot (32 deg) it's not as hot as it should be. If I disconnect the sensor behind the radio bezel, then it seems to work ok (on full cold it's alot colder and on full hot it's alot hotter). The thing is, I checked this sensor and replaced it with another one from the wrecker. So does anybody know which sensor is historically most likely the bad one? My outside temp seems to be wonky too, sometimes it's reading 10 deg high. Anybody know the best place to start troubleshooting?

Also, my digital display started acting up recently... Will, how much would you want for one of your extra units?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:16 PM

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm new (hi!) and I am not allowed to post my own thread and (apparently) not allowed to search. Could someone link me to a discussion of how to upgrade from the manual to the digital climate control?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2006, 04:29 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by theophile
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm new (hi!) and I am not allowed to post my own thread and (apparently) not allowed to search. Could someone link me to a discussion of how to upgrade from the manual to the digital climate control?

Thanks!
http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace