3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Tranny woes @ 149k, horror inside...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:20 PM

Tranny woes @ 149k, horror inside...

WEll here an update of my jdm swap engine/ tranny.

From my last post i posted up that i really almost blew up the engine trying to avoid an accident. In the process of doing that i think i have also broke the throw out bearing/fork in the tranny, and parts went all over, to the point where there is a hole the size of a dime/nickle on the input shaft in the bellhousing of the transmission.. Since my max is in the shop i have been looking really hard calling junk yards and looking on here.. but i really want to vent something on here.

Today-
I was in the process of talking to an org member here for a tranny. I spoke to the individual about 3 pm told that person that I was going to do what it takes to pickup the tranny and was ready to drive 10-14 hrs each way to make it happen. Now i just found out just 5 hrs before I was to leave to meet the org member, someone went and locally gave him a depsoit and paying 50 bucks more than what i was qouted. He accepted the local offer with out even a call to tell me that someone else is getting the tranny. I think that is some messe up thing to do to another person. I would have proudly matched the offer if i had the chance. BUt Not one phone call back, finding out a few hours just before I was to leave my house, rent a car, drive down 700+ miles to and from and break night and day, just so I can get my max on the road.
The response i got from the org member was really bad, " sorry but i do have a parts tranny if interested", wtf ???? " i can see if i can find one locally if you want.." WTF you could have done that for the local guy and sold me the tranny, a fellow org member, but the tranny did sell locally as the price was higher than what i was qouted, but mysteriously sold less than 6 hrs after our las contact. I was ready to lay down my time in drivng and my money in cash, but i got the short end of the stick. It would have made me more pissed off if i would have driven down there and would have been told it was sold before i got there.

I am a lost for words... now i have to look and find another tranny somewhere else. and now i have my maxima at the mechanics with massive down time. going on almost 2 weeks+, and whats worth is that my birthday is tomorrow 29th June. What a birthday it will be with out my maxima to drive around in. I was all amped for this trip...

The person will remain annonymous, dont want to blow spots here, but I want the person to read this understand that when you have a deal in the works, dont be curel and take the offer back, and also please call the person back if another offer was made.

I am so upset right now. yep 4 hrs left to go before my trip was to begin, now stuck here riding my bro's Pathfinder, until i can find another donor tranny...

If anyone can help me please call me 347-436-3751 or pm or email mew price, I am looking for a 5spd VLSD VE30DE Transmission. Will pick up anywhere in the north eastern area
Old 06-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Alex_V

theres a VE in the local junkyard, I dont know if the 5 speed is in the car still or if I have time to get it. but if I can I will

~Alex

Old 06-28-2006, 09:07 PM
I miss my VE

Yeah man, thats messed up, but this isn't even close to how people can back stab you when you least expect it. Why did you have to go through so much for a tranny anyway? There are seriosly no VE5 trannies around here? Maybe even rebuilding it would have been cheaper or much easier then the trip you were planning.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Way out West

Sucks about the .org member going for more $$ instead of being straight with you. Better communication would have probably been key to not p!ssing you off. At least offering you options like you mentioned.

I know it is pretty hard to find a VE tranny. You might have to do a car-part search and pay the shipping or once again be willing to drive. I would think renting a car and paying for gas would be about as expensive as shipping a tranny.

good luck and be patient.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:45 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I hate it for you but thats life unfortunately. I have been done that way before as well.

I have always been told that once you make a deal you are true to your word but not everyone goes by that.

Without knowing his side of the story though...I will not jump to conclusions...and I know who it is just because I have been reading the for sale section the last few days.

I mean it goes both ways. I have been told people are going to get something...right down to saying they were leaving in a couple of hours and then never show up. You wind up missing a sale that way. What might have been the best thing was have you give him a deposit so it a sure deal.

people are flaky...buying and selling.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:49 AM

renting a car is cheap for me, i work at a rental office, plus i can get the cobalt or similar with great gas milage one i get on the high way, fill up what 3 times? < 100 bucks and rental about 5 bucks for 2 days... 150+ what ever the tranny cost.. i just just want to pick up the tranny so i can get it to my mech faster than it would cost me to ship it. Down time is the problem. There are some tranny close by but they are asking almost more then what cost me for the jdm engine, vultures.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Michael
I hate it for you but thats life unfortunately. I have been done that way before as well.

I have always been told that once you make a deal you are true to your word but not everyone goes by that.

Without knowing his side of the story though...I will not jump to conclusions...and I know who it is just because I have been reading the for sale section the last few days.

I mean it goes both ways. I have been told people are going to get something...right down to saying they were leaving in a couple of hours and then never show up. You wind up missing a sale that way. What might have been the best thing was have you give him a deposit so it a sure deal.

people are flaky...buying and selling.

yeah your right though, but I have been on the org for a while. I posted that i am dire need of a tranny, and i even offered paypal, which he said its not really good for him. I have been on here for years. I have met many people at meets, and people know where i live. NE nyc area i must know like 20+. But that isnt the point. Not a phone call back to tell me that someone else wanted the tranny, i was about to leave my house at 12 am to rent a car and to get ready to drive down there, the only thing i needed was the address that i wrote down that i left in the car before i came upstairs to my apartment. i called the individual up and as for his address and thats how i got the bad news..

Its my birthday, 25 at that. kinda got the "gift" that i wanted dangling infront to be taken back and given to someone else
Old 06-29-2006, 06:01 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by crazy4maxima
yeah your right though, but I have been on the org for a while. I posted that i am dire need of a tranny, and i even offered paypal, which he said its not really good for him. I have been on here for years. I have met many people at meets, and people know where i live. NE nyc area i must know like 20+. But that isnt the point. Not a phone call back to tell me that someone else wanted the tranny, i was about to leave my house at 12 am to rent a car and to get ready to drive down there, the only thing i needed was the address that i wrote down that i left in the car before i came upstairs to my apartment. i called the individual up and as for his address and thats how i got the bad news..

Its my birthday, 25 at that. kinda got the "gift" that i wanted dangling infront to be taken back and given to someone else

yeah sucks that you didnt get a call to at least let you know.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Michael
yeah sucks that you didnt get a call to at least let you know.

It is VERY irritating when SOMEONE makes a F/S thread,then will not respond to members requests...
Old 06-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Getting back to his roots

Even though it was a **** move on his part, if you really wanted it you should have put up a deposit to secure it. I have been stiffed by people many times who tell me to hold a part for them and then never follow through. Have you tried www.car-part.com?? There are usually tons of engines and trannies on there.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:18 AM

i have i called almost all the spots but i am not paying 1000 for a tranny... I found one in ri i am going there in a few mins... 6 hrs total and paying the same price as the other guy.. Like i also stated, i was asking him if he had paypal.... so its not like i wasnt going to pay him, i would have given him the cash in hand, and he said he had it for some time .. just coinsidance that another guy came after me and got the tranny.. oh well the salvage place in ri that i am going to will have 2 on hand ....

thanks for those who pm'ed me... i appriciate the jesture and help....
Old 06-29-2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94

It is VERY irritating when SOMEONE makes a F/S thread,then will not respond to members requests...
What does F/S mean?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm needing a caw

Yeah sorry to hear. If I KNOW someone is hundreds of miles away, I make DAMN sure they know what is up before they have to travel.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by cparker5
What does F/S mean?

I think it means for sale
Old 06-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It means for sale. That does suck, though- I mean if he wasn't sure about you, he could have requested a deposit, and at least called to let you know that he found a local buyer.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm needing a caw

He did? .....
BUt Not one phone call back, finding out a few hours just before I was to leave my house, rent a car, drive down 700+ miles to and from and break night and day, just so I can get my max on the road.

Originally Posted by O_Rly
It means for sale. That does suck, though- I mean if he wasn't sure about you, he could have requested a deposit, and at least called to let you know that he found a local buyer.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

BUt Not one phone call back, finding out a few hours just before I was to leave my house, rent a car, drive down 700+ miles to and from and break night and day, just so I can get my max on the road.
My bad read that and thought it said "not one phone call". Still you'd think it'd be common practice to call the person and at least offer them a chance at matching the price or something.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:11 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I personally think this is just bad business...
Old 06-29-2006, 07:16 PM
mod or sell?

without ones word one has nothing
Old 06-30-2006, 02:06 AM

well i just got home from rhode island.. I left the 29th june at around 1:20pm, stopped in the bronx to fill up @ around 1:40. i got to RI at around 5:05. Picked up the tranny from capital salvage in Providence RI exit 23 on the I-95. Called up Clark aka Dabose, and meet up with him and hung out. Went to his crib,chilled and met his homeboy, and we all went to go see Superman( that shiet was freaking great). Left his house at 1:40am- got to my home in nyx @ 4:50, did the trip in 3hrs, but i estimate it to be about 2 1/2 hours and 220 miles driving from there. i stopped to get coffee, then another stop for gas... looking for the better deal. 1 place had the gas as much as ny 3.20/gal i put 10 bucks 3 gal. then i kept driving til i hit the 95 in ct exit 40. Ther eis a citgo that is selling gas for 3.03/gal . filled up...

any way the tranny will go ito the shop in the next couple of hours. 300 for the tranny+ 107 in gas but i still have more than 3/4 left so i say maybe 70 bucks with for the round trip..

I am using N34JZ beater Pathfinder, w/ a bad knock sensor i got about 18-19 mpg. sucker has a big tank 17 gals every time to fill so t prob 19-20 gals cap.
yay, my max is almost ready to be ready and driven.. wish me luck..

Thanks for those who pmed me to show their love and to offer me their tranny that they are selling.....

now wish me luck and hope the tranny is good, and the jdm engine works
Old 06-30-2006, 02:19 AM

Old 07-04-2006, 07:22 AM

have you checked by shea stadium yet? i saw a couple ve5s around a couple months ago.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:00 PM

is it me or does that tranny look really dirty inside???
Old 07-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
is it me or does that tranny look really dirty inside???

yeah its pretty bad. Probably had a rear main seal leaking. Mine looked that bad when I pulled it out but it looks much better now. Couple cans of brake cleaner to get the major part then rags and paint gun cleaner to get the rest. I couldnt get in the hard to reach corners but its clean enough...

Old 07-04-2006, 07:04 PM

goes from bad to worse... Now since i had the lgihten flywheel it got trashed with the ckutch disk also. I Am gonna go back to the stock flywhhel.. since my mechanic reccomended it... aluminum +heat = warpped flywheel+ faster wearing clutch. so i went on ebay and got a flywheel for 77 bucks shipped and an act clutch disk replacemnet for 155..

so far

jdm engine=1130
tranny=300
clutch=155
flywheel=77
parts for engine swap=100+
labor+dont even want to know
Old 07-07-2006, 07:34 PM

ok stupid question....

is that hole suppoed to be there where the input shaft is???