3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.
View Poll Results: Which Should I Do
Go Maaco
30.56%
Go With Friends Friend
47.22%
Leave It
22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:36 PM

Paint Job

Well I went to good ole Maaco and got an estimate for a paint job. He said if i get it re-painted white it would b around 7hundred thats with prep and painting. then i said w/ clear or w/o n he said w/o n w/ clear its 1000. soo i was like thats quite a bit to save by myself. but then i called my frined chris to ask about his friend who paints and he will do it for 300 or soo. not some cheap paint job. all i got to do is buy the paint and what ever minor charges he gives me. and i know the guy does good work. b/e when my friend chris had his eclipse this guy painted it and it had pearl n metal flake in it also ghost flames. heres a pic

he got it painted factory(ish) color but its House Of Kolor.
But im gonna get it painted black. cuz ive seen some pretty sexy black 3rd gens.

Hers my car as it is

Getting 17x8 Cobra rims, get Konis, Sprint Springs.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:40 PM

I'm kind of having the same dilema, I need a bit of body work done too, and anyone who's been to maaco before knows that maaco sucks for body work. I could take it to a pro who knows what he's doing but it takes alot of extra dough. What to do...
Old 08-03-2006, 12:41 AM

Yea i have small hail dings. that arent noticeable and one noticeable dent on my bottom of my right 1/4 panel. Cant i pop out the hail dents myself with one of those kits. or should i let a shop do it or the stealership do it. the guy at maaco actually wanted me to get my car repainted with the dings in it.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:51 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

what you dont understand is that paint job from your friends friend will wind up costing you well over $1000 when all is said and done. When I use cheap paint (good paint but cheaper than high end) I wind up spending $600 for materials. Now that isnt just paint but sand paper, bondo, etc etc. All that stuff is goign to be paid for by you. That being said I would trust the paint that guy uses over maaco especially if he is using HOK...that is good paint but not real expensive depending on where you get it.

Anyway $300 for labor is a great deal but expect to spend over $1000 when all is said and done because paint and paint supplies are not cheap.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Way out West

I would agree that you will likely spend the same in materials, but I would have the friend do it, because you will likely end up with better paint on the car.

Another thing I saw is you wanted to paint your car black. If I were you, I would stick with white. If you want something different, add some pearl to it.

IMO, it looks ghetto when you paint a car a totally different color and your engine bay, door sills and trunk, etc are still the old color. I doubt that for $300 labor, your friend's friend is going to do all the engine bay and stuff, too.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:09 AM

yeah, i agree with Cliff. Keep it white. Its so much cleaner. and especially with a a pearl coat, it would look like the sex.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:30 AM

OK i will go white. but, i know what pearl is but isnt there like different colors that the pearl can be like blue tint, or like red tint etc... I am not sure.

He is gonna charge 300 for everytrhing. he does it cheap b/c he isnt a real business.

But also another option is I could Go to Nashville Auto Desiel College and let the students paint it. But, dont know how much that would be.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:33 AM

an for those that said leave it like it is. i took the pic of my car with a camera phone and u cant see the imperfections in the paint. it would look really bad if i started tryin to fix my car up if i did nothing to the paint. clear coat is pelling on the top. and messed up trunk lid. and hood paint. ill take a pic with a good camera soo it is clearly.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:51 PM
VIP Maxima

i would go with whoever masks everything off and sands down the factory paint to the metal.

/thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
sands down the factory paint to the metal.
Why do people think this is a good thing to do? You do not need to sand it down to the metal unless you have several paint jobs already (paint thickness is a problem) and then you dont need to go all the way to the metal.

The factory panels have an ecoat (or electro coat) on them which beats anything you can spray on it. If you take it down to the metal you are sanding this ecoat away and having to use an epoxy primer or something else. These are good primers but not as good as the ecoat.

anyway this is one of my pet peeves...if the paint is good then sand it down...do body work, seal and paint. No need to sand to the metal.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:10 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Michael
Why do people think this is a good thing to do? You do not need to sand it down to the metal unless you have several paint jobs already (paint thickness is a problem) and then you dont need to go all the way to the metal.

The factory panels have an ecoat (or electro coat) on them which beats anything you can spray on it. If you take it down to the metal you are sanding this ecoat away and having to use an epoxy primer or something else. These are good primers but not as good as the ecoat.

anyway this is one of my pet peeves...if the paint is good then sand it down...do body work, seal and paint. No need to sand to the metal.
my thoughts exactly. sanding down to bare metal is a good way to encourage rust, and bubbling paint
Old 08-03-2006, 08:44 PM

I told my friend to give the paint guy his number and give me a call. im ready for paint. and for the guy saying go white b/c i will still have white door jams and trunk and under hood. couldnt that b easily b fixed with the rattle can.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by DigitalMaxima90
couldnt that b easily b fixed with the rattle can.
yeah thats a nice way to ruin a good paint job. Actually painting under the hood with rattle can isnt a bad idea but painting the door jambs is IMO a really bad idea. It will not match perfectly, will not shine as much and will scratch much more easily.

Just ask him how much extra for the door jambs and engine bay if you decide to change colors...if he wants too much for the engine bay just use rattle can on it.

Be sure and ask for a price on paint and supplies. Like I said it will be over or close to $1000 by the time you are done.

Again $300 is a good deal because it is a LOT of work to produce a nice paint job...a LOT of work. I would not touch it for that little and I am not a pro or have a shop either.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:27 PM

yea. if i wasnt good friends with the paint guys friend i would probably get butt-raped w/ a price worst than maaco's, but it would look better. I think my parents are gonna help me out on the price a lil soo it wont b that bad to pay 1000 for the friends friend. the painter still hasn't called me tho been two days. but i dont have nothing but time.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I think he was being sarcastic.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by N34JZ
I think he was being sarcastic.

maybe so but that didnt seem like a sarcastic remark to me and I hear it all the time. Not knowing the poster though maybe he was being sarcastic.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 PM

man **** all this. im not puttin anymore money into the maxima except for maintenance. im fixin my rx7. i loss to a freaking kia tonight. my car has no potential. it weighs 2tons and has nothing but about 150 to the wheels. soo im done with this heavy *** car. im sick of it. rx7 here i come.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

man **** all this. im not puttin anymore money into the maxima except for maintenance. im fixin my rx7. i loss to a freaking kia tonight. my car has no potential. it weighs 2tons and has nothing but about 150 to the wheels. soo im done with this heavy *** car. im sick of it. rx7 here i come.
what you thought a stock 16 year old car was gonna be fast? if speed is your goal dont even think about paint, get the car up to par mechanically and then mod it, modding isnt cheap you gotta pay to play so if you want easy speed and a wide selection of aftermarket stuff a 3rd gen max isnt the way to go.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:21 PM

i didnt buy the car it was a gift. i thought since my moms 99 se was quick and this is the generation below it it would b generally quick. but it isnt. after i get the rx7 engine in and boostin this will be up for sale. or in storage.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:31 PM

well whatever you do, keep us posted.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:51 PM

well im still debating if i want to just fix up my max. or go ahead and get the rx7 and have both cars or sell the max. for engine money for the seven. soo here is the cost.

-$300 for a 89 5spd rx7 shell.(will need paint, got an rx7 guy paints for 250-750 like 45 mins from me)

-$800-1500 for the turbo engine and tranny

-Countless weekends working to get it together. since i work monday - friday i will be getting a raise at work soon soo money will come a lil easier. I just cant go spending money on useless **** like i always do. self control.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:13 PM

go with ur friends friend...macco is garbage
Old 08-21-2006, 04:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

if you want fast over looks, which is sounds like you do because you were all hiped about paint job until a Kia smoked your ***. either fix it mod it, or sell it, get a ve 3rd gen 5spd and mod it. or get someting new all together. You are driving a 90 vg. My friend has a VG and my moded VE auto smokes the **** out of his.

good luck on whatever you do. just make sure your happy with it
Old 08-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i need a VE
Old 08-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by pimpp85
i need a VE
Old 08-21-2006, 02:07 PM
westler92

+1

Esp if you gonna paint it the same color

Old 08-21-2006, 02:14 PM

i thought since my moms 99 se was quick and this is the generation below it it would b generally quick. but it isnt.
You did do some research about GXE vs SE versions, correct? The 92 SE's and up have a more powerful engine, equivalent in horsepower to their 4th gen counterparts.

But this is besides the point. A 4 door family sedan is not a race car.

If I were you I would keep the max and maintain it. Use it for as your daily driver because it is a damn reliable car, insurance is low(especially for your age), and the ride is comfortable.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

im workin on the ve as we speak
Old 08-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Banned

lolz ok for those dat said its not a race car its kinda funny cuz the se models are labeled 4dsc = "4 door sports cars" and the power difference fromt he ve and vg is about 30 hp and 8 lbs of torque. and it also is a difference between slugomatic and 5 speed in power lose.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:46 AM

It doesn't matter what they label it, it's still a FWD family sedan. I'm not bashing it in any way, I love the car, but it's far from a race car.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:02 AM

Unless you got turbo under the hood.