3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

i need help figuring out this shift lock problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2001, 07:35 PM
kevp

Just three days ago, my shift lock started sticking. If i pressed it down i could shift fine, but before then i'd never ever used it. In fact i pretty much forgot it was there. Since three days ago the car is acting worse. Now it is being very picky as to when it wants to start. I will turn the key, everything gets voltage, but all i hear is a 'click'. The engine refuses to turn over. This was kinda hit or miss three days ago, sometimes it would start 5 times in a row first try, others it would take 5 trys to get it to start once. This usually meant i would pop it out of park, into drive, and try it. If that didn't work i would push down on the shift lock firmly and turn the key. This seemed to work for two days. But today the car just will not start. I've had the console off for a good look at it, and dont see where there's a connection not taking place. Is anyone familiar with the shift lock mechanism? Maybe the not starting and the shift lock problems are unrelated, just coincidental? Has anyone heard of this before?

My car is a 1992 GXE... uhm... am i did i forget anything?

Any suggestions or words of advice would be appreciated...

Old 06-24-2001, 12:31 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Yeah, I got a suggestion.....

Daniel B. Martin!!!

Nah, but seriously, are you sure it isn't the starter going through it's 'swan song'? Try putting the car in Neutral and starting it. Maybe that'll help. My expertise is more electrical than mechanical, but that would be my first avenue of approach.

Then, Daniel B. Martin!
Old 06-24-2001, 11:39 AM
JD

Shift Lock Switch

If I remember correctly there are two relays that affect the shift lock mechanism. I only had to replace one replay over by the passenger side kick panel. Neither are at the shift console.

Mine went out, had to push the little button to shift from park to drive but I had no trouble at all in starting it.
Old 06-24-2001, 11:34 PM

i have to press the shift lock button 95% of the time to shift out of park, but i've never had any problems with the engine not starting.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:12 AM
kevp

Well i don't think that the shift lock problem is related anymore. I've tried for over a day to play with it, and i think i've narrowed it down to this little switch/relay/something at the base of the shifter. Two small wires (a hot and a ground) come out of the shifter from underneath the black finish of the shifter and go into this little switch box. I don't know exactly what it is or does but when i played with that wiring the car started (this was early sunday morning and the car hasn't started since). I can't reproduce that effect now, so i don't think it's the wiring going into it, rather it's the actual switch itself. If i can get ahold of a camera, i'll post some pics of what i think it is.

Also, what are some specific telltale signs or ways to rule out the starter/cyllinoid?