Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   Front end project log. (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/364959-front-end-project-log.html)

Darkwing48 10-06-2006 04:47 PM

They are coming out a little uneven on the curve to the second pic. But they look alright in my opinion.

BTW: I Think these Honda kits out here are wantabe SkyLines

goon9 10-06-2006 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
They are coming out a little uneven on the curve to the second pic. But they look alright in my opinion.

BTW: I Think these Honda kits out here are wantabe SkyLines

Ur right about it looking uneven.

Btw, it's not a honda kit.

shavedmax 10-06-2006 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
I'm sorta stuck on that, they're not comming out well... If I hack em, Then what?

just make them alot smaller, have them wrap around to create a grille opening 1/2 inch out from the headlights. it's looking very good, i'm impressed

unless you wanna make the grille bmw like, like maximagirl's 4th gen. but you need to weld it to the hood, no glassin there................

ColombianMax 10-06-2006 06:40 PM

Woah, lookin good so far. is it me or do I seem a little bit of Audi resemblance on the 3rd/bottom picture?

shavedmax 10-08-2006 04:13 AM

please dont tell me your dash is white.

goon9 10-08-2006 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
please dont tell me your dash is white.

Currently yes...... My taste as delopeved since then. It was one of the first things I did. The whole interior was flat white. Came out real clean. PITA the drive without polorized sun glasses!

After I get the outside done. Everything everything inside weill get glassed, the door panels are going to be completely shaved. I'm not even using the old door panels for anything. Dash any center console will be reshaped a little. Then painted probubly a gun metal.

Right now the inside is mostly stripped and painted flat black.

shavedmax 10-08-2006 06:04 AM

Currently yes...... My taste as delopeved since then. It was one of the first things I did. The whole interior was flat white. Came out real clean. PITA the drive without polorized sun glasses!

After I get the outside done. Everything everything inside weill get glassed, the door panels are going to be completely shaved. I'm not even using the old door panels for anything. Dash any center console will be reshaped a little. Then painted probubly a gun metal.

Right now the inside is mostly stripped and painted flat black.

ya know, i was contemplating passing on the 3rd gen body mod crown to you until i saw the dash.........................................

maxitech 10-08-2006 06:31 AM

Hey, Goon:

You gonna have that car ready for Maxus in June?

Michael 10-08-2006 07:05 AM

bah forget Shaved :D...keep it molded but you have to mold the rear as well so its nice and smooth across the entire side. It will be pita if you ever have an accident though.

DeMeYz 10-08-2006 08:38 AM

looks pretty damn good, can't wait to see it finished.

deftones1868 10-08-2006 04:11 PM

i really like the front end, it looks a 1000x better than stock

shavedmax 10-08-2006 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Michael
bah forget Shaved :D...keep it molded but you have to mold the rear as well so its nice and smooth across the entire side. It will be pita if you ever have an accident though.

i had my rear shaved when i had my gs300 lights, it kept cracking. no way to make it look factory and get the glass thick enough that it wouldnt.

whatta long road it's been to come full circle, lol.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...18_63_full.jpg

goon9 10-08-2006 05:34 PM

Made some progress, I'll have pics up later.
Gotta take another break on the body. Gotta change the input bearing. FUN!

Thanks for the compliments.

One thing I learned so far. EVERCOAT body filler OWNS. Better than bondo brand at a 1/3 of the price.

goon9 10-08-2006 05:35 PM

i had my rear shaved when i had my gs300 lights, it kept cracking. no way to make it look factory and get the glass thick enough that it wouldnt.

I already have a 1/4 of glass on mine...:wall:

Matt93SE 10-08-2006 05:42 PM

eek.. how much weight are you adding under the guise of looking fast?

the work looks pretty good though. not my style, but I applaude the commitment to the cause and actually following through with something.

Michael 10-08-2006 05:42 PM

yeah I know but it would look cool if you could keep it from cracking.

goon9 10-08-2006 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
eek.. how much weight are you adding under the guise of looking fast?

the work looks pretty good though. not my style, but I applaude the commitment to the cause and actually following through with something.

I'm not sure on exact pounds... I know the body kit wasn't any more than 20 pounds. The extra glass.. I coulnd't say. I've cut alot of metal including the spare wheel well to help with the weight. No carpet or sound deading, it's a little loud in it.

shavedmax 10-08-2006 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Michael
yeah I know but it would look cool if you could keep it from cracking.

yeah i agree, but i like the functionality of being able to take off a bumper or a side skirt if i needed to do any work.

oh and goon, stopped using bondo awhile back. i use the cheap evercoat, liteweight, it flows pretty good, not as good as rage, but its also not that expensive. i hope someone told you to use a finishing glaze on top. it makes the finish work alot easier. easier to spread, easier to sand, lot more money, 15-20 bucks for a quart, but you're just using a small ammt at the end. i use icing from usc, but evercoat makes metalglaze. it's 30 bucks for 30 ounces in eastwood, ouch!

goon9 10-08-2006 06:00 PM

yeah i agree, but i like the functionality of being able to take off a bumper or a side skirt if i needed to do any work.

oh and goon, stopped using bondo awhile back. i use the cheap evercoat, liteweight, it flows pretty good, not as good as rage, but its also not that expensive. i hope someone told you to use a finishing glaze on top. it makes the finish work alot easier. easier to spread, easier to sand, lot more money, 15-20 bucks for a quart, but you're just using a small ammt at the end. i use icing from usc, but evercoat makes metalglaze. it's 30 bucks for 30 ounces in eastwood, ouch!

I thought the extra money for glaze was a little much. Even after I think I have the filler perfect, I skin on somemore to get it Real smooth. The rattle can high build primer seems to fill the imperfections well. I may try the glaze... We'll see how tranny situation goes.

shavedmax 10-08-2006 06:27 PM

I thought the extra money for glaze was a little much. Even after I think I have the filler perfect, I skin on somemore to get it Real smooth. The rattle can high build primer seems to fill the imperfections well. I may try the glaze... We'll see how tranny situation goes.

old school guys use polyester resin ( 'glass resin)in the bondo to make it smooth. never tried it. supposedly works good, but makes the top coat gummy so it's tougher to sand at first

Michael 10-09-2006 07:00 AM

old school guys use polyester resin ( 'glass resin)in the bondo to make it smooth. never tried it. supposedly works good, but makes the top coat gummy so it's tougher to sand at first

I have used it and it works great except I used something called plastic honey which is the same thing but is marketed for fillers instead of just buying resin. It didnt make my top coat gummy though...sanded very well for me.

my favorite finishing putty is 3M parihna putty but the evercoat easy sand is very good as well.

Darkwing48 10-09-2006 09:38 AM

Ur right about it looking uneven.

Btw, it's not a honda kit.

Oh yeah I know.
It was an unrelated idea that just came up to me.

ustfdes 12-04-2006 04:44 PM

any updates?

goon9 12-04-2006 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ustfdes
any updates?

Sorry not yet.

I had to take a break to-

-Rebuild a Ve trans
-stage 1 clutch
-light flywheel
-replace rack and pinion
-replace axles, hubs
-replace tire
-replace oil pan
-replace WHOLE interior

and now the cold weather is stopping me. I dont' want to lay on glass and have it cure spring time!

Thanks for the interest.

shavedmax 12-04-2006 05:27 PM

Sorry not yet.

I had to take a break to-

-Rebuild a Ve trans
-stage 1 clutch
-light flywheel
-replace rack and pinion
-replace axles, hubs
-replace tire
-replace oil pan
-replace WHOLE interior

and now the cold weather is stopping me. I dont' want to lay on glass and have it cure spring time!

Thanks for the interest.

spot light and extra hardener are your friends

oh and goldie is now cruisin in the sky..................................:angel:

95bkackmax18s 12-04-2006 06:14 PM

nice work, coming along. should be sweet when its done. evercoat is the sh1t. i use it.

goon9 12-04-2006 08:11 PM

spot light and extra hardener are your friends

oh and goldie is now cruisin in the sky..................................:angel:

possilbly after the holidays. O! I bought a hobart mig! And an auto shade hood. So... I'm considery removing the 'pillars' out of the bumper, and extenting the hood down like you mentioned. Got any examples other maximagirls?

shavedmax 12-05-2006 04:42 AM

possilbly after the holidays. O! I bought a hobart mig! And an auto shade hood. So... I'm considery removing the 'pillars' out of the bumper, and extenting the hood down like you mentioned. Got any examples other maximagirls?

not on a maxima, but i wouldnt wrap it around, just have both ends dip down like they do now(kinda like vampire teeth) and have the grille fill in between. i think that would be easier.

which hobart did you get? i have a 120. its at least 5 years old cause i bought it used, but still runs good. if i pupgrade i'm buying a 220 machine to do heavy gauge stuff.

goon9 12-05-2006 08:37 PM

not on a maxima, but i wouldnt wrap it around, just have both ends dip down like they do now(kinda like vampire teeth) and have the grille fill in between. i think that would be easier.

which hobart did you get? i have a 120. its at least 5 years old cause i bought it used, but still runs good. if i pupgrade i'm buying a 220 machine to do heavy gauge stuff.

It's a 120, it's good up to 3/16's.

+The 'viper teeth' sounds like the way to go.

shavedmax 12-06-2006 03:39 PM

It's a 120, it's good up to 3/16's.

+The 'viper teeth' sounds like the way to go.

i used it for the abortion that killed goldie, that was 3/16 and 1/4 inch plate. it does work, but at a 20% duty cycle you have to be carefull not to overheat it. pretty much for every 2 minutes working it had to be 8 minutes cooling.:tard:

ustfdes 11-17-2007 07:13 PM

any updates? ;)

shavedmax 11-17-2007 09:41 PM

WOW. it's been almost a year since i posted here. tim how ya making along brotha? btw, my wife had a girl. how's yours doing?

goon9 11-18-2007 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by shavedmax (Post 6077725)
WOW. it's been almost a year since i posted here. tim how ya making along brotha? btw, my wife had a girl. how's yours doing?

Hey congrats! Been doing alright, my girl is around 3 months now.... The do grow fast!

ustfdes: No real updates, minor stuff yesterday, Maybe this even I'll have something. Making some brackets :) I don't know if you seen them yet;)

ustfdes 11-18-2007 03:53 PM

goon brackets = ownage, send pics ;x

almost daily i look at the um......secret bracket....and go, "wow....that's nice."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w/bracket2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w/bracket1.jpg

almost posted without censoring the rest of the picture ;X would have been interesting.

goon9 11-18-2007 04:04 PM

Well the plan today was to cut a new line in the bumper to fender. But here's some pics anyway.

https://media5.dropshots.com/photos/...119/004013.jpg
https://media5.dropshots.com/photos/...119/050345.jpg
https://media5.dropshots.com/photos/...119/050831.jpg

Maximahappy22 11-18-2007 04:30 PM

Your car looks funny :D

ColombianMax 11-18-2007 05:17 PM

those wheels look wide as hell son

Duckman540i 11-21-2007 07:11 AM

Goon, what wheels are those? Can you get a few more side shots of the car?

maximal 11-21-2007 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by goon9 (Post 6078548)
Well the plan today was to cut a new line in the bumper to fender.

i always wondered how you'd remove your bumper/fenders. i figured you'd need 3 people to remove it. this way makes a lot more sense, and will look better, too.

goon9 11-21-2007 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Duckman540i (Post 6082760)
Goon, what wheels are those? Can you get a few more side shots of the car?

http://a143.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...27e8f69a86.jpg
They're ro_ja Forumula 5's