Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   Front end project log. (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/364959-front-end-project-log.html)

goon9 08-13-2006 04:14 PM

Front end project log.

I finally got around to working on her face lift.

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/d0826f5e10.jpg
http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/90aca0fbce.jpg

Stock bumper, wings west kit, a little glass.

Michael 08-13-2006 05:14 PM

interesting...looks almost like a mustang or something. How is the grille going to look?

goon9 08-13-2006 05:40 PM

Here's the plan for the new lines.
http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/93fad898b0.jpg

jaguax 08-13-2006 05:46 PM

Damn that's pretty aggressive looking. I like.

goon9 08-13-2006 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Michael
interesting...looks almost like a mustang or something. How is the grille going to look?

No grill, possilbly mesh behind it.

Jbr8k 08-13-2006 06:32 PM

http://www.auto.vl.ru/catalog_photos...kyline_753.jpg

Looks similar? Good luck with it.

goon9 08-13-2006 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jbr8k

Sorta what i was going for. I would like to shave the old blinker holes.

Hectic 08-13-2006 07:53 PM

Micheal's right on about the stang resemblence. tbh i'm not really feeling the pillars right now, of course it will definitely look a lot different painted with the lights installed. good luck with the rest. are you going to paint afterwards? nice work man.

goon9 08-14-2006 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Micheal's right on about the stang resemblence. tbh i'm not really feeling the pillars right now, of course it will definitely look a lot different painted with the lights installed. good luck with the rest. are you going to paint afterwards? nice work man.

getting closer to paint, still a long way.

internetautomar 08-14-2006 06:09 AM

my first thought was rustang too.
we'll see how it ends up though.
Keep us posted

shvelle 08-14-2006 06:39 AM

Looks great! Really aggressive. My first impression was Mustang or 94'ish Prelude. Nice change tho - will definately give your car some one-off distinction.

aminus21 08-14-2006 07:07 AM

Looks nice..It's nice that you always try things that no one has done before...i wish i knew how to do body work..ill learn someday..:)

kcidmil 08-14-2006 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Michael

That sound familar therealgoon? Same thing I said last night when you first showed it to me.

Now... your going to clear you schedule after this one to do mine right?

goon9 08-14-2006 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
That sound familar therealgoon? Same thing I said last night when you first showed it to me.

Now... your going to clear you schedule after this one to do mine right?

Yeah... does sound familiar. If you don't mind parking your car here for a year, I'll do what I can. :hs:

Maxmus_X 08-14-2006 06:11 PM

does look stangy, but definitely keep us posted!

shavedmax 08-14-2006 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by aminus21
i wish i knew how to do body work..ill learn someday..:)

me too, i hope..............

very agressive undertaking goon, i still havent figured out about the lights.

kcidmil 08-14-2006 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
Yeah... does sound familiar. If you don't mind parking your car here for a year, I'll do what I can. :hs:

Hmm... shouldn't be too much of a problem, I have a feeling all my engine and tranny work will take me a year, mostly fund issues.

tripleGmax 08-15-2006 09:34 AM

gonna look cool man. my input on your wtb spacers idea......dont do it and buy different rims. spacers are not cheap.

shavedmax 08-15-2006 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
gonna look cool man. my input on your wtb spacers idea......dont do it and buy different rims. spacers are not cheap.

im sure he has rims already, thats why he needs spacers for them. you can get spacers reasonably priced, but i would prefer to buy a wheel with a nicer offset to have a lip that spend the money on spacers. just my .02

goon9 08-15-2006 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
im sure he has rims already, thats why he needs spacers for them. you can get spacers reasonably priced, but i would prefer to buy a wheel with a nicer offset to have a lip that spend the money on spacers. just my .02

Ha... No I don't have any wheels yet. I figured if someone had a deal on some I could use them on my stockers. I keep changing my mind on wheels... I wanted 19's or g35, Now I think I want some forged 17's....

Anyway, I did trim down the 'pillars' on the grill section and was going to take a pic, but I just put some foam on it... Looks like snot:doublethu

tripleGmax 08-16-2006 11:29 AM

i say go with 19s.....it would help set off your ride man

shvelle 08-17-2006 02:11 PM

Update?

Questions:
1) What are the little white dots in all the pics? Did you have to drill into the stock bumper to get the fiberglass to 'grab'?

2) Did you add shape with expanding foam? And if so - can you simply fiberglass right over the foam, or will the resin 'eat' the foam?

(please excuse my ignorance...)

shavedmax 08-17-2006 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by shvelle
Update?

Questions:
1) What are the little white dots in all the pics? Did you have to drill into the stock bumper to get the fiberglass to 'grab'?

2) Did you add shape with expanding foam? And if so - can you simply fiberglass right over the foam, or will the resin 'eat' the foam?

i've used expanfing foam on many a project, the resin doesnt eat it

goon9 08-17-2006 04:22 PM

Update?

Questions:

The dots are pop rivets. I laid 2 layers of glass, counter sunk the rivets, and then ground them. I know the plastic bumer will pull away... I hope the rivets will help when cold weather comes.

Yeah, I used foam, and the resin doesn't eat it. I didn't do too much, 2night but here's where it's at.
http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/350...9042604_th.jpg
http://aycu40.webshots.com/image/479...3329900_th.jpg
http://aycu08.webshots.com/image/360...4917059_th.jpg

I still have more forming to do with the grill pillars.
I did decide to shave the stock blinker holes. Might kinda tuck some new blinkers in the fog area. And still deciding on what kinda of blinker....

shavedmax 08-17-2006 04:48 PM

looks like you're doing a good job on the bumper, not a huge fan of the grille opening just because i think it distracts you from the cleanliness of everything else, unless you're planning on changing the lights to be flush with it, then :thumbsup: .

goon9 08-17-2006 05:07 PM

looks like you're doing a good job on the bumper, not a huge fan of the grille opening just because i think it distracts you from the cleanliness of everything else, unless you're planning on changing the lights to be flush with it, then :thumbsup: .

Heh, Thanks.... You remember writing me 3 pages of emails about not molding the body? I kinda regret it, 2 gallons of resin and a few hundred rivets later.

I was thinking about changing the headlights.... But I just made these not long ago, lol. I was looking at the Acura TL's.

We'll see about the grill, I'm getting a head ache over it.

shavedmax 08-17-2006 05:26 PM

Heh, Thanks.... You remember writing me 3 pages of emails about not molding the body? I kinda regret it, 2 gallons of resin and a few hundred rivets later.

I was thinking about changing the headlights.... But I just made these not long ago, lol. I was looking at the Acura TL's.

We'll see about the grill, I'm getting a head ache over it.

juanfucious says: i toods u so. nes time lisen to me gwasshoppa.

why do u think im moving on from goldie. ive told so many people not to go too crazy with their projects because usually it just overwhelms you and you give up. so far it looks really good, stick to the front, dont do anything to the back until the front's done(made that mistake before) and youll get it all done.

goon9 08-17-2006 05:34 PM

juanfucious says: i toods u so. nes time lisen to me gwasshoppa.

why do u think im moving on from goldie. ive told so many people not to go too crazy with their projects because usually it just overwhelms you and you give up. so far it looks really good, stick to the front, dont do anything to the back until the front's done(made that mistake before) and youll get it all done.

I'll get it done. And get it up there for paint one o these, days... next year? lol.

shavedmax 08-17-2006 06:49 PM

I'll get it done. And get it up there for paint one o these, days... next year? lol.

should have a garage by then....................................i hope

Michael 08-17-2006 07:01 PM

well now my feelings are hurt :(. I am closer...:D...na just messing with ya.

shvelle 08-18-2006 05:32 AM

So the rivets help the fiberglass and plastic bumper expand and contract at the same rate, preventing cracks?
Good solution. Not sure I would have thought of that. (not the first time around anyway)

Shavedmax - you're not really letting 'goldie' just rot in your backyard - are you??? That'd be a real shame.

shavedmax 08-18-2006 11:29 AM

So the rivets help the fiberglass and plastic bumper expand and contract at the same rate, preventing cracks?
Good solution. Not sure I would have thought of that. (not the first time around anyway)

Shavedmax - you're not really letting 'goldie' just rot in your backyard - are you??? That'd be a real shame.

nope ill be letting her get turned into a cube in a couple of weeks.

shvelle 08-18-2006 12:04 PM

I'm not on the forum everyday, so fill me in... Is the car completely stripped now? Why would you crush such an incredible peice of art?? Do you have any current pics?
I think your car was an inspiration to us all. I KNOW it was for me!

GRNMAXDMON 08-18-2006 12:08 PM

r u serious Juan? ur gettin' rid of goldmember by just crushin' her??? thats a shame man. y?

shavedmax 08-18-2006 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
r u serious Juan? ur gettin' rid of goldmember by just crushin' her??? thats a shame man. y?

so i could be like moster garage when a project isnt completed..............lol

seriously, i'm taking anything valuable off her(bumpers,doors, hood fenders, radiator, seats, lights, sunroof etc) and getting rid of the shell.

my plan to tuck 20's went sour and i gutted the back structure. the plan was to fix it with a 4th gen solid rear axle. found a parts car, cut it up to use the rear, found another 4th gen that needed a rear clip, voila,birth of bluemember. i do have a line on another parts car, but the car's sat without a gastank for over 2 yrs, i took out parts for my wife's 93 when i needed them. even if i do put it back together it's still an 89 vg auto, with patched up rust issues. to put it together the way i wanted will take tons of work that most people would never appreciate, so i would rather cut my losses now and make room for new toys. i have the 4th gen, i'm planning on building a mini-truck, which i have always wanted to do, so i have to make room somewhere. no one's shown interest in the doors, so when my brother can drive maybe we'll find a clean 3rd gen to throw them on.

it breaks my heart to do it, funny thing is i had found a nice 92-93 gxe with a light front hit that i was going to try to buyand swap all my parts into. by the time i went the guy started fixing it to make a quick buck, even at ther 800 he wanted for it done it was a steal, but not worth it. so if you believe in fate, things happen for a reason. not like ill leave the forum, 4th gen forums sucks for the most part, lol, :wall: and i've made many good frinds here that wouldnt want to lose.
shvelle, if you look in my sig pic the thing next to the 4th gen is goldie. dont wanna take the cover off and cry until i have to.j/k

shvelle 08-18-2006 07:29 PM

shvelle, if you look in my sig pic the thing next to the 4th gen is goldie. dont wanna take the cover off and cry until i have to.j/k

For some reason, I couldn't see sig pics earlier today when I posted. Works now tho.

It's a cry'n shame that you're gonna scrap'er. I'm amazed that no one has PM'd you asking what you'd want for'er?!? I would, but I'm too far away, getting married soon and have too many other projects already.

:sadwavey: Goldmember... :wtc:

gregoryin07 08-19-2006 08:36 AM

Thats awsome! It does look aggressive. post some pics when your finished with it.

goon9 08-21-2006 04:57 PM

http://aycu16.webshots.com/image/369...2454046_rs.jpg

Did a tad more. It's real rough, still have yet to round things out.

shavedmax 08-22-2006 07:03 PM

http://aycu16.webshots.com/image/369...2454046_rs.jpg

Did a tad more. It's real rough, still have yet to round things out.

days upon days upon days of sanding.......................
dont say you werent warned

Chris Gregg 08-22-2006 07:22 PM

I like it. I've had a similiar idea to replace my grill as well (which is really on the hood). My inspiration was along the line of the R34. "Fins" at inner portion of headlights would aim in toward the center of the car rather than out/away as yours do. Can't wait to see the finished product!