3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

tried fixing temp collant sensor...no results

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 08:51 PM
davis449

Ok I tried the cleaning and dielectric grease on my temp coolant sensor (the red one) and the other black one next to it and I've sealed them up pretty good. The results: temp gauge worked for about five days and the engine still hesitates. So now I think I'll have to replace the sensors all together. I can't wait to see how much that costs. I am now running out of ideas. Can anyone offer aadvice?

Old 06-24-2001, 11:43 PM

What is your car doing? Hesitating when the car is cold.
Old 06-25-2001, 03:19 PM

You cleaned the red & yellow connector?
Old 06-25-2001, 03:53 PM

light bulb just went on!

It is possible that yours wasn't a problem.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by davis449
Ok I tried the cleaning and dielectric grease on my temp coolant sensor (the red one) and the other black one next to it and I've sealed them up pretty good. The results: temp gauge worked for about five days and the engine still hesitates. So now I think I'll have to replace the sensors all together. I can't wait to see how much that costs. I am now running out of ideas. Can anyone offer aadvice?

My temp coolant sensor seems to be on the fritz. If i push the connector in the cooling fans turn on, however if I release the pressure they turn off. Otherwise they do not turn on when the engine gets hot. Since my temp guage doesn't really work I will not know if it is overheating. You said that you cleaned yours(the red and yellow connector), is it hard to remove and how did you clean it? Is it easy to replace yourself? Please help its starting to get hot here.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:33 PM

parts for sale

Originally posted by CMD89

My temp coolant sensor seems to be on the fritz. If i push the connector in the cooling fans turn on, however if I release the pressure they turn off. Otherwise they do not turn on when the engine gets hot. Since my temp guage doesn't really work I will not know if it is overheating. You said that you cleaned yours(the red and yellow connector), is it hard to remove and how did you clean it? Is it easy to replace yourself? Please help its starting to get hot here.
i have been trying to piece out my car if there is anything that you may need let me know techsx2@earthlink.net
Old 04-23-2002, 08:08 PM

I've been having some probs with my temp sensors as well. The cooling fan sometimes won't kick in and the temp gauge sometimes drops to 0. I will be replacing both fairly soon. They run about $20 for one and $18 for the other. I can find the exact amount for you if you want, so they're not the most expensive parts to replace either!

-V
Old 04-23-2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by vmok
I've been having some probs with my temp sensors as well. The cooling fan sometimes won't kick in and the temp gauge sometimes drops to 0. I will be replacing both fairly soon. They run about $20 for one and $18 for the other. I can find the exact amount for you if you want, so they're not the most expensive parts to replace either!

-V
that should be no problem but do you need to replace the guages in the dash or are you taking about the temp switches under hood
Old 04-24-2002, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by techsx2

that should be no problem but do you need to replace the guages in the dash or are you taking about the temp switches under hood
The sensors under the hood. You can try testing the gauge in the car by putting the car in the on position (not started), removing the temp sending connector (the black one, that's a simple spade, not the fancy red one), and find a piece of wire to ground that to something. These sensors are located off of the thermostat outlet, on the passenger side above the drive belts behind the distributor. The temp gauge should go full hot.

-V
Old 04-24-2002, 10:34 AM

alright fellows I had the same problem with my 90 maxima. If I pressed the coolant temp sensor on the engine the fans would come on. I would not let a problem like that stay there to long. I did not replace it and my fans work fine.
1- I disconnected the red and yellow sensor and cleaned it out by just scrapping the metal contacts with a very small screwdriver.

2- use a tie strap to wrap the sensor and the wire close together so force is always applied to the wire to be pressed against the sensor. A quick and easy fix. Tell me how it works out.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have had the same problem for a while now

Originally posted by maldogs
alright fellows I had the same problem with my 90 maxima. If I pressed the coolant temp sensor on the engine the fans would come on. I would not let a problem like that stay there to long. I did not replace it and my fans work fine.
1- I disconnected the red and yellow sensor and cleaned it out by just scrapping the metal contacts with a very small screwdriver.

2- use a tie strap to wrap the sensor and the wire close together so force is always applied to the wire to be pressed against the sensor. A quick and easy fix. Tell me how it works out.
All my friends ask me if the engine going to explode and I say nah it has been doing that for a while but seems now to be effecting the engine because it hesitates. Where are these wires located? I think I am going to find them now?

Thanks