3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The 5 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006 | 08:09 PM

The 5 speed swap

the track in TH will be closing because the vigo county fairgrounds has been sold to TARGET....so they will be moving the fairgrounds east of terre haute.
anyhow, next year will be the last year for the track.

i seriously need to get the 5 speed swap done asap. i have my eye on one for $550. $700 for the whole assembly. my friend says i should go with just the transmission and buy all of the other parts new, especially since im going to want a lightweight flywheel and middle of the road clutch.

1. does anyone have an exact parts list?

2. how difficult is this (and by that i mean hanging the clutch pedal and getting the linkages together, making room for the master cylinder)?

3. and if this is something i need to have someone else do, what is a good price?

im afraid of my max at the moment because im on my 2nd auto transmission and i just dont have faith in them! i would really like to get the off-the-line power gain that one gets from a manual and have a dependable transmission while keeping my originality and not buying a newer max. suggestions?
Old 08-25-2006 | 08:36 PM
Alex_V

its easy. Trust me. Id rather drop a tranny then do a timing belt.

Im actually about to replace the rear main seal. They know when you change the tranny, and they only leak AFTER your done.

~Alex
Old 08-26-2006 | 02:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

tranny
clutch pedal brake pedal
clutch lines
clutch master cylinder
5 speed Flywheel
cv axels
5speed starter

I think thats about it!
Old 08-26-2006 | 05:25 AM
Alex_V

engine backing plate, the bottom half is diffrent. VG starters are the same auto or 5 speed. Change 4 wires and you got a swap.

~Alex
Old 08-26-2006 | 03:58 PM

4 wires? is this from the tranny to the gauge cluster or...?
Old 08-26-2006 | 04:52 PM

Need the shift linkage too. I cut my existing brake pedal and put a new pad on it.
Old 08-27-2006 | 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by todamax
Need the shift linkage too. I cut my existing brake pedal and put a new pad on it.
Thats what I did too.

Getting the shift linage out of the 5sp car was hell because it was riveted in.
Old 08-27-2006 | 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 4dscPat
Thats what I did too.

Getting the shift linage out of the 5sp car was hell because it was riveted in.

heh, that is what a drill is for... You need one anyway to drill the holes for the master cylinder.

Here are a couple of pics from my project. I never finished the pages, I will soon...

http://www.digerati.us/car/Car%20Pro...-Speedswap.htm
Old 08-28-2006 | 06:13 AM

nice pics; you did a VE 5 speed swap, though. the transmissions are different for the VGs and VEs, are they not?

anyhow, if anyone can think of anything else that I'll need (i was going to ask about shift linkage since no one said anything!), just say it.
Old 08-28-2006 | 06:29 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Maxitech has done this swap...You may get more help if you pm him about it.
Old 08-28-2006 | 08:43 AM

There are all sorts of little brackets and crap that I didn't know were needed before getting into it. PM me with a list of what you have, and I can fill in the blanks. Make sure you get everything you can before starting. I had almost a month of delays because of missing parts.
Old 08-29-2006 | 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by alextothestars
nice pics; you did a VE 5 speed swap, though. the transmissions are different for the VGs and VEs, are they not?

anyhow, if anyone can think of anything else that I'll need (i was going to ask about shift linkage since no one said anything!), just say it.

Yup, the concept is the same though. There are a few pics that show the brackets and pedal config, those might help.
Old 09-15-2006 | 04:54 AM

to maxitech

umm sry i had to bring this back up, but maxitech, or anyone that knows/hasdone the 5 speed swap can pm me a list of ALL the parts ill need, also how difficult is it to do the swap, only things ive done sofar where battery change and fixed master window switch.. also i know that my mechanic wont do the swap but if i get him to do the easy parts like put the trany in and mount it all i would have to do is the cuttig of the pedal. drilling holes to mount cluct cyl, and slave, and the linkage attached, wires etc.. lol it would take me all weekend right? if i can even do it..

Q: the flywheel goes in trany with cluthplate then clutch? is it then housed by a cover or??? ima have to buy the chiltons guide to the maxima and need the right tools like a ramp and air tools
Old 09-16-2006 | 03:21 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Hey alextothestars, if you decide to do the 5 speed swap let me know I'd like to watch and possibly help as I'd like to also do the swap once I start making money again. And the best thing is you're only Total Est. Time: 3 hours, 46 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 188.63 miles away from me, well divide the total est time by 2 so its all good

I might be in Indiana (again) in 2-3 weeks from today.
Old 09-16-2006 | 06:39 AM

He's not doing the swap...he's getting a 5th gen.
Old 09-16-2006 | 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pepi
umm sry i had to bring this back up, but maxitech, or anyone that knows/hasdone the 5 speed swap can pm me a list of ALL the parts ill need, also how difficult is it to do the swap, only things ive done sofar where battery change and fixed master window switch.. also i know that my mechanic wont do the swap but if i get him to do the easy parts like put the trany in and mount it all i would have to do is the cuttig of the pedal. drilling holes to mount cluct cyl, and slave, and the linkage attached, wires etc.. lol it would take me all weekend right? if i can even do it..

Q: the flywheel goes in trany with cluthplate then clutch? is it then housed by a cover or??? ima have to buy the chiltons guide to the maxima and need the right tools like a ramp and air tools
If you are serious about doing the swap, donate $20 and then you can search for some of the MANY threads on this subject. Just know, again, if you are serious that you are getting into a major time and money consuming project.
Old 09-17-2006 | 12:00 PM

i decided..

i think i will either look for a working 5spd which i have found, a 93 se dohc original owner with 244,000km but buddy wants $3500 cdn, for that price (actually $2490) i seen a 5spd 95maxima so im kinda stumped.. i like the body more on the 93 but for less $ and newer car and 5spd its a tough choice...

either way i wouldent give the guy nomore than $2500 tops and he said he has all service records.. so hopefully has alot of new parts also..
Old 09-17-2006 | 04:16 PM

ok, u guys seem to have alot of questions about his swap. so im gonna have to give u guys a link to the 5-swap sticky so all u guys that need the rest of the info on the parts and re-wirin' but only for the VG 5-speed tranny. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=434469 <--- click on the link to the left and just read. any questions just pm me.
Old 09-26-2006 | 09:02 AM

People People:@ The swap is not hard a 2day weekend with all your parts arranged and some beer with asorted tools and a good freind to pump that clutch is all You need. GRNMAXDMON has helped me with mine and knows were to get the literature to back hiself up
Old 09-26-2006 | 11:09 AM

I'm so glad you 2 bumped this thread which led me to the other one lol...got tranny (will be getting rebuilt) and also getting new fidanza lightened flywheel and clutch set cant wait to have a 5 speed.
Old 09-26-2006 | 11:29 AM

yes we max owners play a major role!! we help each other out with problems and fist hand experience that may only seem to happen to ourselves when no ones around to experience. i think the more people to do this 5spd swap the better. It will give max owners a chance to address these problems and get them resolve before it's a continuing problem.

like for example:@searching.................................................. .................................................. ......................................... input shaft bearing common problem on ve vlsd 5speed and vg 5speed trannys
Old 10-01-2006 | 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
People People:@ The swap is not hard a 2day weekend with all your parts arranged and some beer with asorted tools and a good freind to pump that clutch is all You need. GRNMAXDMON has helped me with mine and knows were to get the literature to back hiself up
damn right thanks buddy. it took me 2 days as well to complete the swap and with no problems since then.

guys, once u have the auto tranny out along with all the other auto tranny parts u will c that it is extremely easy to do. whats gonna slow u down a little is just makin' the hole on the firewall for the clutch master cylinder and pedal. for the brake pedal u can just cut it and not worry about swappin' out the whole brake pedal assembly. i did this to mine. oh, for the tranny mounts, u just need to change the front tranny mount and brackets but the rear mount is the same but u have to change the brackets.
Old 10-01-2006 | 01:19 PM

Here's a couple of self explanitory pictures that i have took. this is the aftermath of 1 day of racing with a exedy clucth and pressure plate kit that i had been running. what happen was the spring poped out of the clutch and fumbled around til it had gave out. i had launched my max at 6800 or 7000rpm not realy sure and kaaboom.

Old 10-01-2006 | 04:14 PM

Got tranny!!!

Hey not to take over the thread but I just got my 5 speed today and still got some more things to get such as the shifter rods and shifter along with flywheel and clutch, but here are some HUGE pictures with what I have so far and you guys can tell me if theres more than what I mentioned missing. BTW if this doesnt really go fine, I'll make my own thread with the pics in it instead. Any tips on how to get clutch pedal and brake pedal out?
Have:
Tranny
Some lil reservoir with some lines
All the plates
Mounts
shift boot and mount
Accelerator, wasnt able to get brake or clutch pedal

Old 10-01-2006 | 04:22 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Good thing you're not doing the swap...
Old 10-01-2006 | 04:24 PM

lol yea tell me about it.. wanna come do it for me
Old 10-01-2006 | 04:32 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

lol yea tell me about it.. wanna come do it for me
NO!
Old 10-01-2006 | 05:19 PM

Why would you need another accelerator pedal???

Also, don't use that wierd block with loopy lines coming out of it, just go straight from the master to slave...and order a stainless steel clutch line from Matt...

Also, it's much less work to take a sawzall to the auto brake pedal than mounting the manual one.
Old 10-01-2006 | 05:21 PM

One more thing...I would recommend using NEW master and slave cylinders, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and axle seals...
Old 10-01-2006 | 06:03 PM

Getting Fidanza flywheel and debating whether using ACT or Exedy clutch, yea clutch master and slave cylinders prices are about 29 bucks each at my job (soon ex job), I'm most likely getting clutch and flywheel from Brian if he can get those brands, so I'm probably going that route too, Once you're here in Chicago I'll check out your setup and you can explain things better in person The reason I got accelerator is because the clutch, brake, and accelerator on 5spd donor looked different from regular auto brake and accel.

Cant wait to have everything done cuz my tranny only works on "D" up to like 35mph then just revs up (slips) so I gotta keep it on "2" if I want to go faster and the damn MPG is killin me always on "2". Well, going back to JY tomorrow for clutch pedal and clutch along with flywheel and plate. Then I'm gonna toothbrush tranny with orange blast, then wirebrush (coarse then fine) it with a drill until its nice and sparkly and then delivering to the rebuilder to examine !!!! yay!!!

BTW I'm having the tranny rebuilt by a Chicago Maxima Club member that has rebuilt several 5speeds for other members yes he's an ORG member too but from the 5th gen section I'm assuming.
Old 10-01-2006 | 09:44 PM

Hey not to take over the thread but I just got my 5 speed today and still got some more things to get such as the shifter rods and shifter along with flywheel and clutch, but here are some HUGE pictures with what I have so far and you guys can tell me if theres more than what I mentioned missing. BTW if this doesnt really go fine, I'll make my own thread with the pics in it instead. Any tips on how to get clutch pedal and brake pedal out?
Have:
Tranny
All the plates
Mounts
shift boot and mount
Accelerator, wasnt able to get brake or clutch pedal

your on the right path with the swap, if i may i would recommend a fidanza flywheel and a good clutch to hold at least 20% over oem. as far as the swap goes turn the tranny by hand and listen closley for that darn input shaft bearing if by any chance you hear bearings or the shaft dos'nt turn smoothly have it check out. when i bought my 5speed i had gotten 2 because i read all pros and cons for this tranny and everyone had a problem with the input shaft bearing. on the first tranny the throwout bearing was already bad so i really didnt know what to listen for so i installed it and you could hear it low speeds in 1st and 2nd in other gears not that noticable. that tranny only held up until i went to the track and launch it around 6800 or 7000 and there goes my clutch, throwout bearing, and input shaft bearing all at the same time. so i went inside the second tranny and stripped it and had the input shaft which holds 4th an 5th gears sprocket shaft bearing replaced. bacicaly i would be rebuilding the entire tranny as an experiment to better understand on how it works as far putting it back together. because when i start my turbo swap this tranny will go in so the max will be down for a while until i have the time to finish the tranny.
Old 10-01-2006 | 10:07 PM

as far as the clutch pedel goes i removed the brake pedel. here is a list on how to get it out without cursing and violence.
  • remove the under plate under the dash to better view under there
  • remove the 2 bolts that hold the steering coloum inplace
  • remove the 4 bolts that holds the brake and power booster together and there is a hidden bolt at the top of the brake pedel that why i stated lower the steering coloum.
  • remove cruise control switch and tail light switch harness and out it goes.
  • install the smaller brake pedel reverse procedure of installation.
  • mount up the clutch up with the upper bolt and get an idea of were its going to go in terms of drilling and cutting.
  • once done take your measurement and draw your lines and prep it up for drilling and cutting.
  • now i used a bunch of washers to hold the clutch pedel to the clutch resevoir because on my parts car there was a spacer there that i could not get out so washers will do just fine.

so after all of that goes go ahead and drill your holes after you've gotten your measurement and layout of the way it's going to mount up'

Ps:@=some people have went to there parts car and made a cardboard templet from the engine bay and drilled from there i found that rather confussing and a bit hard so weight your options and try what ever soots you.
Old 10-02-2006 | 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
as far as the clutch pedel goes i removed the brake pedel. here is a list on how to get it out without cursing and violence.
  • remove the under plate under the dash to better view under there
  • remove the 2 bolts that hold the steering coloum inplace
  • remove the 4 bolts that holds the brake and power booster together and there is a hidden bolt at the top of the brake pedel that why i stated lower the steering coloum.
  • remove cruise control switch and tail light switch harness and out it goes.
  • install the smaller brake pedel reverse procedure of installation.
  • mount up the clutch up with the upper bolt and get an idea of were its going to go in terms of drilling and cutting.
  • once done take your measurement and draw your lines and prep it up for drilling and cutting.
  • now i used a bunch of washers to hold the clutch pedel to the clutch resevoir because on my parts car there was a spacer there that i could not get out so washers will do just fine.

so after all of that goes go ahead and drill your holes after you've gotten your measurement and layout of the way it's going to mount up'

Ps:@=some people have went to there parts car and made a cardboard templet from the engine bay and drilled from there i found that rather confussing and a bit hard so weight your options and try what ever soots you.
Cool, thanks a lot man, I'm gonna go tomorrow after work as it rained today and I was just exhausted cuz I work overnight and well the day before I didnt sleep as I was pulling tranny and misc parts. I'm definately gonna finish getting everything else.

As for the flywheel I'm def getting the fidanza flywheel even if it takes a lil longer for the swap as its like $359 on ebay, if Brian has it cheaper well thats perfect!

Now on the clutch I dont know what I want, a lot of people with 5spds told me either ACT or Exedy..I dont know anything about clutches so I would like to hear about some good clutches, cheap and exoennsive but not too pricey.
Note: I can drive stick without stalling the car and jerking a lot but I'm still not your professional manual driver that can shift without the passenger noticing so if you guys can recommend something that suits my needs I would really appreciate it.
Old 10-02-2006 | 08:53 PM

I'm not thrilled with the ACT/Fidanza combo, I really wanted a SPEC. When I replace the clutch another ACT will not go in.

edit:nevermind.
Old 10-03-2006 | 06:07 AM

I used washers as a spacer for the clutch pedal, as well...but it would be wise to put some sheet metal in between...Back in august the metal on the firewall cracked and gave way rendering the clutch pedal useless. Make sure you reinforce it!
Old 10-03-2006 | 05:16 PM

So you coming to chicago foo?
Old 10-03-2006 | 07:00 PM

Planning on it...I have and appointment in lincoln park at three on friday, so I could meet up with you after that, then will be driving out to and staying at my buddy's house in Geneva.
Old 10-03-2006 | 07:02 PM

Kool, I dont think Brian will be able to meet up as he has his family time on the weekends. Well, maybe 2k3titaniumSE can come too just for a little photoshoot Doubt Josh will come to Chicago as hes got school