3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

T/C the VG...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:54 AM

T/C the VG...

ok guys i have made a decision to just boost my VG and not do a pain in the a$$ engine swap like a VE and a VQ so i'll just stick to my VG and keep goin with it. i recently bought a Turbo from my buddy who has a 240 for $200 with new seals put in. its a Master Power T3/T4 is that good enough?? if it is what other good parts can i use to work right with the turbo and the engine? what size intercooler, what type of blow-off valve, things of that matter u know. im in no hurry but would love to start gatherin' all of the necessary parts.

Rick
Old 09-08-2006, 09:10 AM
"and falling like a rock"

What's the specs of the turbo. What kind of boost/HP are you looking for?

Yeah, I would not try the VQ swap at all, and the VE's are just trouble in the long run.

I would shoot for a nice 220 HP package, little lag, good enough power not to be under-steering like a Peugeot.

EDIT: Oh and what's your budget?!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Not sure why everyone wants to go intercooled so early! Get your set up installed and running first. Then, upgrade.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Not sure why everyone wants to go intercooled so early! Get your set up installed and running first. Then, upgrade.

Well It depends on his turbine, amount of boost he wants to run and what kind of gas he will be using to whether he needs one or not in the beginning.

Keep in mind that the 300zxT (VG30ET) didnt use an intercooler because its compression was so low and the boost was low too and was still plenty fast/fun.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

before you buy anything else..pick up a book maximum boost by corkey bell. that book will give you all the in's and out's of the turbo, plumbing, set up design, etc etc. once you read that book cover to cover then look at your budget and consider what you want to do. remember the $ you put into the car will far exceed it's current valve. also remember that there are many many other cars out there that are more turbo friendly and with more aftermarket support compared to the 3rd gen. also if you are not that handy then you're going to be paying A LOT for someone to put something together for you. also if your 3rd gen ever gets hit...most insurance will consider it totalled (even if it's a messed up fender).

take all that into consideration before you break into the 3rd gen VG. IMO i would do the VQ swap if i knew it would work in a 3rd gen bay back in the day.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:51 AM

honestly i don't know what r the specs on the turbo but will find out though. money, i don't know whats the average amount one spends in doin' a VG turbo setup. for right now i just want to spend my money on the basic stuff. the pipin' i will figure out cuz i was talkin' to Jeremy a.k.a. maxmaxima (i think thats his u/s) and he hasn't given me a price for the pipin' and i can't keep on wastin' time on waitin' for a price u know. i really want this to be my daily driver until i get a newer car so thats where i need u guys to tell me what parts r good and whats not.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
before you buy anything else..pick up a book maximum boost by corkey bell. that book will give you all the in's and out's of the turbo, plumbing, set up design, etc etc. once you read that book cover to cover then look at your budget and consider what you want to do. remember the $ you put into the car will far exceed it's current valve. also remember that there are many many other cars out there that are more turbo friendly and with more aftermarket support compared to the 3rd gen. also if you are not that handy then you're going to be paying A LOT for someone to put something together for you. also if your 3rd gen ever gets hit...most insurance will consider it totalled (even if it's a messed up fender).

take all that into consideration before you break into the 3rd gen VG. IMO i would do the VQ swap if i knew it would work in a 3rd gen bay back in the day.
i've done all of the work on my car in and out, so doin' it on my own isn't a problem is just gettin' all the correct parts that will work right. money like i said i don't know whats the average but i will not buy all the parts all at once. im not in a hurry but will buy parts little by little.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
i've done all of the work on my car in and out, so doin' it on my own isn't a problem is just gettin' all the correct parts that will work right. money like i said i don't know whats the average but i will not buy all the parts all at once. im not in a hurry but will buy parts little by little.
seriously...get the book. it's a very small investment on something that you'll put a lot of time and $ into.

you may know how to work on the car...but if you never done work on a turbo car...this will be something totally new.

no one makes a kit...so you'll probably end up making a lot of the parts yourself...be ready for that.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:22 PM

IMO i would do the VQ swap if i knew it would work in a 3rd gen bay back in the day.
Can it work? Which VQ? And is it easier or harder to do than a turbo VG?
Old 09-09-2006, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by jlars205
Can it work? Which VQ? And is it easier or harder to do than a turbo VG?

I can't say exactly since I have never done it, but I'll put it this way, we have on this forum several turbo'ed 3rd gens. We have NO VQ swap 3rd gen's on this forum, and IIRC only seen ONE ever done and it was an automatic.

You will have to rig custom mounts, along with the VQ of course, AND the VQ transmission with axles, ECU, instrument cluster, etc...

You would be taking a car that was about as smart as a brick (in terms of ECU and electronics) and transplanting a AMD64 in there.

All that for what...190 HP at best

my .02
Old 09-09-2006, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by 89blackse
I can't say exactly since I have never done it, but I'll put it this way, we have on this forum several turbo'ed 3rd gens. We have NO VQ swap 3rd gen's on this forum, and IIRC only seen ONE ever done and it was an automatic.

You will have to rig custom mounts, along with the VQ of course, AND the VQ transmission with axles, ECU, instrument cluster, etc...

You would be taking a car that was about as smart as a brick (in terms of ECU and electronics) and transplanting a AMD64 in there.

my .02

There was one dude outside of the usa that paid a shop to but a vq in. And there was a 3rd with a vq in it on the west coast for sale on ebay. I'd like that try the swap if I had the moneys.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by 89blackse

my .02
Actually no, with the VI intake on the VQ30, and other mods and some tuning (SAFC) 220WHP isnt uncommon. The VQ has good potential, but for boosting, the VG is fine. And if one did the VQ swap, you might as well get the VQ35 as it has much more power and 250WHP+ is possible.

Id rather swap in the VQ into my s13 any way, oh wait I am going to do that..... I can turn and not body roll like an ocean liner (in my s13). Id like to take a ride/and or drive some of the more modded max's tho, that might change my mind but probably not.

~Alex

Old 09-09-2006, 12:22 PM

seriously...get the book. it's a very small investment on something that you'll put a lot of time and $ into.

you may know how to work on the car...but if you never done work on a turbo car...this will be something totally new.

no one makes a kit...so you'll probably end up making a lot of the parts yourself...be ready for that.
where can i get his book? ebay? also i already know about makin' my own parts but i've just seen people on here use name brand parts for the BOV and I/C. but if it helps i'll try to get the specs on the turbo and maybe u guys or urself tell me what can i get for the necessary parts.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:24 PM

honestly i don't know what r the specs on the turbo but will find out though. money, i don't know whats the average amount one spends in doin' a VG turbo setup. for right now i just want to spend my money on the basic stuff. the pipin' i will figure out cuz i was talkin' to Jeremy a.k.a. maxmaxima (i think thats his u/s) and he hasn't given me a price for the pipin' and i can't keep on wastin' time on waitin' for a price u know. i really want this to be my daily driver until i get a newer car so thats where i need u guys to tell me what parts r good and whats not.

hey man.. i cant really give you even a rough price untill weve discussed what you want to do.. there are sooo many variables that could change price alot. and im not about to throw a price out there and then have things change that cause it to cost alot more.. you must still see it from my perspective. if you wanted me to build an identical seup to what i have .. i mean identical to what you see in my pictures.. it would be like 8-900 just for the manifolds, y-pipe, and down pipe... but that would mean that you would need the exact turbine houseing i have... hard to find .. if you even want that one. so what i was saying is you find a turbo or tell me exactly what turbo you want how you want the waste gate ran and such.. and then i can give you a rough estimate.. there alot more to it that just pulling a number out of my head.. so dont blame me for wasting anytime.

Jeremy
Old 09-09-2006, 04:12 PM
No turbo, no care!

where can i get his book? ebay?
http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-...e=UTF8&s=books
Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
hey man.. i cant really give you even a rough price untill weve discussed what you want to do.. there are sooo many variables that could change price alot. and im not about to throw a price out there and then have things change that cause it to cost alot more.. you must still see it from my perspective. if you wanted me to build an identical seup to what i have .. i mean identical to what you see in my pictures.. it would be like 8-900 just for the manifolds, y-pipe, and down pipe... but that would mean that you would need the exact turbine houseing i have... hard to find .. if you even want that one. so what i was saying is you find a turbo or tell me exactly what turbo you want how you want the waste gate ran and such.. and then i can give you a rough estimate.. there alot more to it that just pulling a number out of my head.. so dont blame me for wasting anytime.

Jeremy
money isn't the issue. its not like im gonna buy everything all at once. all im askin' is ur help on what should i get next and know what to get to make it work right. the turbo i have is a Master Power T3/T4. i still have to get the specs cuz i bought it from my friend who had it on his 240 and upgraded to a larger turbo. i know that the manifolds, y-pipe and down pipe is goin' to be costly. don't think i was thinkin' like $400-$700 for just the manifolds, y-pipe, and down pipe. another thing is that my car has always been my daily driver and not my weekend car to just embarass the people out on the streets who drive Hondas, Mitsubishis, etc... im not tryin' to blow my engine jusst to prove that im faster than the other person. also i did what u told me to do and thats talkin' over an email but i guess ur box was full or something and i told u i sent u an email but u didn't respond. trust me im not tryin' to give u a hard time cuz im not that type of person to be givin' u a hard time on this. i just wanna do this and start gatherin' all the parts necessary before i start on puttin' in my car. i'll buy the book like danny said and go from there and if i get stuck somewhere then thats where u guys come in to help me out. im not here to say that "i know everything and that my way is gonna work the best." if i ever say that i know u guys r gonna send me to he11 and i don't need to throw away a reputation that i built in here from nothing u know. u guys have always helped me out and i appreciate that.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:44 AM

you should just buy a newer, faster maxima. i gave up on investing in mine last winter. it will cost the same in the long run and you wont have to **** with anything...even if it is fun doing so.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by alextothestars
you should just buy a newer, faster maxima. i gave up on investing in mine last winter. it will cost the same in the long run and you wont have to **** with anything...even if it is fun doing so.
believe me if i could i would but i can't cuz i don't have the cash to spend on a newer car at this point. thats y im in no hurry to doin' this my 3rd gen. and i can't sell her since i know im not get all my money back plus i really like my 3rd gen. my white '89 on the other hand i let go since i didn't invest money into it and i got more money back then what i paid for it.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 PM

money isn't the issue. its not like im gonna buy everything all at once. all im askin' is ur help on what should i get next and know what to get to make it work right. the turbo i have is a Master Power T3/T4. i still have to get the specs cuz i bought it from my friend who had it on his 240 and upgraded to a larger turbo. i know that the manifolds, y-pipe and down pipe is goin' to be costly. don't think i was thinkin' like $400-$700 for just the manifolds, y-pipe, and down pipe. another thing is that my car has always been my daily driver and not my weekend car to just embarass the people out on the streets who drive Hondas, Mitsubishis, etc... im not tryin' to blow my engine jusst to prove that im faster than the other person. also i did what u told me to do and thats talkin' over an email but i guess ur box was full or something and i told u i sent u an email but u didn't respond. trust me im not tryin' to give u a hard time cuz im not that type of person to be givin' u a hard time on this. i just wanna do this and start gatherin' all the parts necessary before i start on puttin' in my car. i'll buy the book like danny said and go from there and if i get stuck somewhere then thats where u guys come in to help me out. im not here to say that "i know everything and that my way is gonna work the best." if i ever say that i know u guys r gonna send me to he11 and i don't need to throw away a reputation that i built in here from nothing u know. u guys have always helped me out and i appreciate that.
its cool man.. we can stil discuss things.. i dont think the email ever worked. I think ive been waiting on it. I didnt know you sent it. If you want to try again.. feel free.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
its cool man.. we can stil discuss things.. i dont think the email ever worked. I think ive been waiting on it. I didnt know you sent it. If you want to try again.. feel free.
great Jeremy. i already sent u a message and i also went ahead and ordered the book that Danny told me to invest in as well.