3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Ve Rwd?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well everyone is implying that the Z32 trans is stronger than the Z33 trans but it makes no sense for Nissan to switch to a weaker tranny (regardless of the amount of gears).

They learned their lesson when they replaced the FWD maxima 5-speed with the newer 6-speeds and I have a hard time seeing why they would do the opposite move for their RWD lineup.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Well everyone is implying that the Z32 trans is stronger than the Z33 trans but it makes absolutely NO sense for Nissan to switch to a WEAKER tranny. Why would they do that? Both cars produce 300 horses stock.
Three points i want to make:

1. I never compared the two. Next time try quoting the people your response is directed toward.

2. I never said the tranny was weak, i said it had reliability issues. Can't argue there. What good is it if your tranny can handle 500 WHP strength-wise but your synchros are shot and/or you get completely locked out of gears?

3. The 300ZX was heavier, made more TQ stock, and was more easily modified to make big power, which nissan was well aware of. What makes you so sure the 6-speed is sooo much stronger than the 5-speed, anyhow?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:37 PM
I miss my VE

Well everyone is implying that the Z32 trans is stronger than the Z33 trans but it makes no sense for Nissan to switch to a weaker tranny (regardless of the amount of gears).
They learned their lesson when they replaced the FWD maxima 5-speed with the newer 6-speeds and I have a hard time seeing why they would do the opposite move for their RWD lineup.
It might not make sense, but it seems everybody is saying the oppisate is happening in the real world. Companies don't always improve on everything they have
Old 10-08-2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
Three points i want to make:

1. I never compared the two. Next time try quoting the people your response is directed toward.

2. I never said the tranny was weak, i said it had reliability issues. Can't argue there. What good is it if your tranny can handle 500 WHP strength-wise but your synchros are shot and/or you get completely locked out of gears?

3. The 300ZX was heavier, made more TQ stock, and was more easily modified to make big power, which nissan was well aware of. What makes you so sure the 6-speed is sooo much stronger than the 5-speed, anyhow?
I didn't say it was stronger. Several people in this thread (you excluded) have stated that the Z32 5-speed is much stronger than the Z33 6-speed and I asked for proof. That's it.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
it doesn't matter how heavy the RB is.. you're not going to do it anyway.
+1 on that, thank you.

Also, Google is your friend for these questions. You are basically asking everyone else to do the leg work.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:48 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
+1 on that, thank you.

Also, Google is your friend for these questions. You are basically asking everyone else to do the leg work.
Thought somebody knew
Old 10-09-2006, 05:43 AM

With that mindset it should mean that Nissan made the VQ35DE stronger in the 350Z than the VG30DETT was in the 300ZX when we all know, stock for stock, the VG30DETT is much stronger than the VQ35DE.

It could be a design flaw, manufacturing error, who knows... all I know is the Z32 tranny is proven to be much stronger than the Z33 6-speed. For some reason it seems like people think more gears = better... like a 6-speed has god like status over a 5-speed and I have no idea why.

The Z32 5-speed is not only strong but, when talking boosted applications, has a much better gear ratio than the 6-speed... on top of that, the Z32 5-speed actually has a lower ratio in 5th than the 6-speed does in 6th.

The 6-speed has close ratio gears, which are aimed more towards N/A engines... like the car its in. Boosted vehicles tend to like wider gears so the 5-speed fits well there. Actually, when getting into high power outputs turbo vehicles start to really like super wide gears. I know of a guy at HybridZ that has a rear end down into the 2.xx ratios and was getting faster with every decrease in ratio. Another guy swapped a Powerglide 2-speed into his Z and took off nearly 2 seconds in the 1/4... yet all of these Z32 guys are swapping in 4.08 diffs from a 3.69 diff (that is bigger than a Ford 9 inch nonetheless)... I can't wait to prove them wrong.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:06 AM
STFU n00b!

I didn't say it was stronger. Several people in this thread (you excluded) have stated that the Z32 5-speed is much stronger than the Z33 6-speed and I asked for proof. That's it.

the proof is in the pudding.
Z32 trannies are put in racing applications all the time and routinely handle 600hp without fail.
Z33 trannies are falling apart in STREET CARS.

If I had to choose a tranny for a custom application (in this case it's an old-school iron block VE with a huge, flat powerband),
which do you think I'd use? the 5 spd, old school, wide-ratio, tranny with a bellhousing that bolts right up and can take all the abuse I want to feed it and laugh, OR the 6 spd, close-ratio, finicky POS tranny that I'll be replacing every year or two?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:56 PM

It doesn't make any sense for Nissan to take away the VI, VTCs, and IRS for 5, 7, and 9 years respectively, but they did.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:56 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by MrGone
It doesn't make any sense for Nissan to take away the VI, VTCs, and IRS for 5, 7, and 9 years respectively, but they did.

Very good point..
Old 10-10-2006, 07:16 PM

the VTC's were ****ty anyways.....made good power... but should have been designed better
Old 10-10-2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
the VTC's were ****ty anyways.....made good power... but should have been designed better
The VQ didn't miss 'em either way. Still makes more power mod for mod when equipped with a VI. IRS and the VI i agree were missed, but the beam can handle suprisingly well and the VI issue can be fixed with a factory bolt-on part (MEVI).
Old 10-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well paper it didn't. I'd say when the VQ got the VI in 99', then the VQ didn't miss the VTCs. The VQ just wasn't a great breathing car until it got one or the other.

I agree. The VQ didn't miss 'em. IRS and the VI i agree with though.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Well paper it didn't. I'd say when the VQ got the VI in 99', then the VQ didn't miss the VTCs. The VQ just wasn't a great breathing car until it got one or the other.
You're right about that. Until '99 it was all low-end and strong mid-range. But i edited my previous post for clarity.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:59 PM
VGsidestepper

Ok this is what you do!!!

take the Vg 0ut of you're maxima , Put it on a engine stand....

go to the junkyard or http://www.redz31.com/forum/

GET
z31 exhaust manifolds + t3 turbo
crossmember and all engine mounts
z31 tranny and all mounts
z32 maf
88-89 300zx ecu with romulator
z32 fuel pump or walbro 255
intercooler and piping

And be happy with a engine that can support 500+ horsies on stock internals.

(Tuned correctly)

Old 10-10-2006, 08:01 PM
VGsidestepper

and if you wanted to be even more happyer , GET a Gt30r turbo the turbo best for the VG30e.

Awsome for a 9:1 comp engine.

All around spoolage

and hey even good gas mileage.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Alex_V

Dont need a Z32 maf untill you build your tranny or go over 300HP.

You also know the Z31 is RWD and the maxima is FWD and using the Z31 tranny will require a RWD conversion that is VERY fabrication intensive and you have to be rich or know your s*** to get it done. But Im sure you knew that.

Im sure you knew RWD engine mounts dont work in a FWD application right?

The stock ECU can be chipped and a romulator used as its the same ECU as a Z31. Maxmaxima91 has the setup you need to read about.

~Alex

Old 10-10-2006, 09:24 PM
I miss my VE

I heard theres a VE RWD conversion going on for the VE, but not for the Maxima
Old 10-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Alex_V

I believe Matt was working on one, and he linked some pics to some guy that was using a VE in a S12 (RWD older 200sx).

I had planned on doing it to my shell but it was a rusty POS. I want to do one in a few years when I can get a maxima roller super cheap and want a diffrent project and have the room to do it. It'd be either like a stock maxima thats RWD and 300+HP or a gutted track *****. But thats another day.

~Alex

Old 10-11-2006, 07:37 AM
VGsidestepper

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Dont need a Z32 maf untill you build your tranny or go over 300HP.

You also know the Z31 is RWD and the maxima is FWD and using the Z31 tranny will require a RWD conversion that is VERY fabrication intensive and you have to be rich or know your s*** to get it done. But Im sure you knew that.

Im sure you knew RWD engine mounts dont work in a FWD application right?

The stock ECU can be chipped and a romulator used as its the same ECU as a Z31. Maxmaxima91 has the setup you need to read about.

~Alex
Lol i was talking about him putting the vg in the AE86

Old 10-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Alex_V

Where did any one talk about a corolla? wtf man.

~Alex

Old 10-11-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

Another terrible idea.

Originally Posted by VGsidestepper
Lol i was talking about him putting the vg in the AE86
Old 10-11-2006, 09:04 AM
VGsidestepper

Originally Posted by PunkFriday
was there ever a RWD trans for the VE30DE engine? i've got a wrecked maxima and a slow AE86 that is begging for 190hp.
Maybe if some one acttualy read this....

And the Vg in a AE86 would not be a bad idea.

Exp if he has one sitting in his front yard ( Or back )

Old 10-11-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm needing a caw

Just because he has a VG sitting there (or any other heavy arsed iron blocked V6) doesn't make a good idea. Unless you actually enjoy taking lots of time, $ and effort to make the car handle worse than before.

Maybe if some one acttualy read this....

And the Vg in a AE86 would not be a bad idea.

Exp if he has one sitting in his front yard ( Or back )

Old 10-11-2006, 09:26 AM
VGsidestepper

handle worse then before?

the vg is the next engine i would put in a AE86 Other then a 1jz or 2jz.

Gobs of power next is VG30E

If you know any thing about the VG witch sounds like you dont , Then you would be saying the same thing i am.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm needing a caw

Do you ACTUALLY know how much these engines WEIGH? The only worse engine to put in there WOULD be the inline 6 iron blocked Toyo motors.

Cripes to everything holy.

handle worse then before?

the vg is the next engine i would put in a AE86 Other then a 1jz or 2jz.

Gobs of power next is VG30E

If you know any thing about the VG witch sounds like you dont , Then you would be saying the same thing i am.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:43 AM
VGsidestepper

have you ever weighed a vg ?

Old 10-11-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

You think it's lighter than a 4 cylinder? A better question is have you weighed one? You're the one suggesting the swap.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:11 AM

From what I can find, the VG is roughly 100 to 150 lbs heavier than a 4AGE (pretty sure that's what came in the AE86). That's not overly bad, especially since the VG should sit a but further back and lower than the I4, but you'll probably notice a bit of a difference. A VQ30 would likely be the way to go though. (4AGE is somewhere around 250)

The VG is a surprising light engine for a iron block V6. Z31.com claimed the 85 turbo engine as weighing 396 lbs. That's right under the KA24DE. The VG30DE(TT) weighs nearly 600 lbs. The VQ30 should be under 300 lbs from what I've read.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 AM
VGsidestepper

Originally Posted by mtcookson
From what I can find, the VG is roughly 100 to 150 lbs heavier than a 4AGE (pretty sure that's what came in the AE86). That's not overly bad, especially since the VG should sit a but further back and lower than the I4, but you'll probably notice a bit of a difference. A VQ30 would likely be the way to go though. (4AGE is somewhere around 250)

The VG is a surprising light engine for a iron block V6. Z31.com claimed the 85 turbo engine as weighing 396 lbs. That's right under the KA24DE. The VG30DE(TT) weighs nearly 600 lbs. The VQ30 should be under 300 lbs from what I've read.

When i had my engine shipped to me they had it marked as 327 pounds.. The shipping company that is , So i dont know .

Old 10-12-2006, 10:06 AM

The VQ didn't miss 'em either way. Still makes more power mod for mod when equipped with a VI. IRS and the VI i agree were missed, but the beam can handle suprisingly well and the VI issue can be fixed with a factory bolt-on part (MEVI).
Apparently you've never gone against a VE in the 3500+ range...

2000 is when they got the VIAS
2002 is when VTC's were reintroduced
The only time a beam can do anything great is when it is transfering power to the ground.

And there is not a single person on this forum who has properly installed a MEVI to work like it was designed to from the factory.

When Jeff92se does an engine swap he does not use a hoist, instead he reaches over and lifts it out. He knows a little bit about engine weights.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Slamnasty
I agree though. The VE rules, but it is truly massive for a V6. It's not a good platform for swapping I think because it's only giving you several dozen more hp, as opposed to potentially over 100 more hp with a VQ, and THEN add in the VQ's extra weight savings, technology, and so on. If you were going to do more of a JDM-style swap, I'd say SR20. As for the VE in a RWD car from the factory, no such thing ever existed, least of all here in the US.

Orrrrrrr... what you could do is just mix the SR20 idea with the VE idea and get yourself an sr20ve (aka neo VVL) produces slightly less HP than the VE30de (~5 or so) and its definately WAY lighter. And it can be used in a front OR rear wheel drive application(writeups can be found on sr20forum.com)
Old 10-12-2006, 02:42 PM

Apparently you've never gone against a VE in the 3500+ range...
Like i said, that can be fixed with a factory bolt-on VI.
2000 is when they got the VIAS
2002 is when VTC's were reintroduced
Okay....
The only time a beam can do anything great is when it is transfering power to the ground.
You amuse me...
And there is not a single person on this forum who has properly installed a MEVI to work like it was designed to from the factory.
I suppose you're talking about the flutter that occurs when the engine revs down between upshifts? What does that have to do with anything? When eqipped with a VI, a VQ will put more power down mod for mod in a lighter, more compact package. This is the last i'll say in this thread about this.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I think the Z32 rwd tranny bolts up. I "think" being the operative word. But IMHO, the heavy and huge VE30DE isn't really my idea of a good swap motor. Sorry to say but a VQ series would be a much better choice. There might be JDM rwd tranny available. If not a RWD G or Z tranny
I have be doing some reading on swapping the Yamaha V6 SHO motor. It seems like a decent choice. 30 more hp & 10 more tq than the VE or VQ30 stock, variable length intake manifold... I have seen some highly built SHO motors making awesome power and AFAIK, there are actually forced induction kits that are commonly available.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:15 AM

Why not the DE-K?
Old 10-13-2006, 05:47 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
I have be doing some reading on swapping the Yamaha V6 SHO motor. It seems like a decent choice. 30 more hp & 10 more tq than the VE or VQ30 stock, variable length intake manifold... I have seen some highly built SHO motors making awesome power and AFAIK, there are actually forced induction kits that are commonly available.
The SHO motors are over weight according to every source I have read.
the P/W ratio is lousy and many other motors offer more power with less weight.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:37 AM

http://http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/HOT%20STAFF%20Part%20II%20-%20S2000%20Motor.htm

tee hee. this would be fast as ****.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:02 PM

Like i said, that can be fixed with a factory bolt-on VI.

Okay....

You amuse me...

I suppose you're talking about the flutter that occurs when the engine revs down between upshifts? What does that have to do with anything? When eqipped with a VI, a VQ will put more power down mod for mod in a lighter, more compact package. This is the last i'll say in this thread about this.
I'm talking about the power valve being load based, not time based. Matt and I have addressed it a number of times.

I'm glad it's the last time you'll say that because it means nothing. The VQ30 did not come with a Power Valve. It did not come with VTC's. JClaw asked why would a newer transmission be weaker. My point is Nissan cut back on every aspect of their product line. They removed features they knew worked well.

How can you argue stock for stock the VE is the inferior motor? It has innovative features unheard of for it's time and place in the market. The VQ is a simple motor. All aluminum engines have been around for decades and switching from a massive double roller to a tiny single roller timing chain would make installing a Fidanza feel like changing mufflers.

If the early 90's Nissan was still around we would already have VQ35DDs, it would not be a joke to hope for a V8 Z, and the Titan would not have had any problems. Instead we have the engine that should have been released in 1995 come around seven years late. Could you consider the 2008 Maxima when looking at a 2008 BMW 335i? In 1989-1994 it was a serious contender. Would it surprise you if the Z32 transmission is better?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:23 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Z33 trannies are falling apart in STREET CARS.

Say what? Where? Who? Are you talking about breaking gears (which is a torque-handling problem) or all the synchro problems (which have nothing to do with the transmission's strength).

I'm greatly interested in that I'm going to be helping with a Z33 buildup this winter, the transmission portion of things is in my lap.

There have been a few vague reports of broken gears on my350z.com, and these were ALL in cars that are putting out greater than 600ish pound-feet of torque (all the ones that I've seen, and I'm in the forced induction forum every day or two) and yet these guys have never opened up the transmissions to see what the mode of failure was. They just go buy a new one from the dealership.

I don't know anything about the Z32 transmission so I can't comment on whether or not it's stronger than the Z33 trans, but the Z33 transmission is NOT a weak transmission contrary to what some folks in this thread are claiming.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:35 PM

How can you argue stock for stock the VE is the inferior motor? It has innovative features unheard of for it's time and place in the market. The VQ is a simple motor. All aluminum engines have been around for decades and switching from a massive double roller to a tiny single roller timing chain would make installing a Fidanza feel like changing mufflers.
Had to respond to this one. You're a V8 guy, so you believe in the bottom line. You don't mind that the reason that they can offer so much HP and TQ n/a is mainly due to their displacement. All that matters is that they do, correct? So how can you argue against an engine that makes more power mod for mod when equipped with a VI despite the lack of VTC's (only 2-stage and unreliable long-term) and with much less aggressive cams?

Quick Reply: Ve Rwd?