3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

first string of problems from the 3rd gen are here

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:49 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

first string of problems from the 3rd gen are here

well untill now ive been loven the 3rd gen, but im getting some crazey problems now

backtrack a lil, when i got, the 1st week my brake at batt light came on, so i figured the infamious altnator was bad, so i got one from the org and put it on , no changes. so i left it alone sence my alt tested good

about 2 weeks ago i noticed my abs light would come on randomly, and the brake fulid was low, so i top it off and notice the abs module is leaking some fluid, so im firguring its bad, and leve it alone, as time went on, more and more fluid leaked out and my abs lights flashed, so i took the abs fuses out just to disable the unit and mabey help it

then on monday of this week, i crank my car in the morning and it was fine, untill i get down the road and everytime i hit the brake my radio would cut off, im like wtf, so i pull over and cut the car off, and it woont crank back, i get jumped and go to school, after school it cranks fine and i go on home

at home i put the voltmeter on it and see its on 11.8 while running, so i immedtly thihnk the alt is unplugged, its not idk wtf happend to it

so i switch battries with one thats fully charges, and its fine, untill that night i notice my lights are dim a hell and soon as i turn on my road the car cuts off and wont crank.

i switch battries agian, cuz i had it on charge, and go to advance test it, my alt is doing nothing, im going to switch them soon and test it out of the car,

is it possible brake fluid from the abs unit got on the alt and ruined it??

wtf do i do about the abs unit i know its very expensive. is it possible to delet abs?????????

do altnators go out like that??
Old 10-24-2006, 06:55 AM
"and falling like a rock"

Originally Posted by SurraTT

Um...maybe, the ABS unit does sit pretty much on top of the alty.

wtf do i do about the abs unit i know its very expensive. is it possible to delet abs?????????
That is a good question

All the time...
Old 10-24-2006, 07:01 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

well untill now ive been loven the 3rd gen, but im getting some crazey problems now

backtrack a lil, when i got, the 1st week my brake at batt light came on, so i figured the infamious altnator was bad, so i got one from the org and put it on , no changes. so i left it alone sence my alt tested good

about 2 weeks ago i noticed my abs light would come on randomly, and the brake fulid was low, so i top it off and notice the abs module is leaking some fluid, so im firguring its bad, and leve it alone, as time went on, more and more fluid leaked out and my abs lights flashed, so i took the abs fuses out just to disable the unit and mabey help it

then on monday of this week, i crank my car in the morning and it was fine, untill i get down the road and everytime i hit the brake my radio would cut off, im like wtf, so i pull over and cut the car off, and it woont crank back, i get jumped and go to school, after school it cranks fine and i go on home

at home i put the voltmeter on it and see its on 11.8 while running, so i immedtly thihnk the alt is unplugged, its not idk wtf happend to it

so i switch battries with one thats fully charges, and its fine, untill that night i notice my lights are dim a hell and soon as i turn on my road the car cuts off and wont crank.

i switch battries agian, cuz i had it on charge, and go to advance test it, my alt is doing nothing, im going to switch them soon and test it out of the car,

you DEFINITELY have an alternator issue. get a reman/rebuilt one.

the ABS piece. i think you might have to take a trip to the junk yards and see if you can scrape up another one. these have a tendency to fail after a period of time and the brake fluid would just leak out. don't think you can run w/o the ABS module if you car came with one. not sure...but if you're brave enough you can rebuilt it yourself...but that depends if the dealer have your parts.

AFAIK the ABS module is hanging out in front of the washer fluid tank. if the fluid is leaking on that inner fender area then i highly recommend you wash that brake fluid (aka paint stripper) off the car ASAP.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:39 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

ok , so i need to hunt for a abs unit

clean the brake fluid

test my extra alt and change it out, then test the one thats on there
Old 10-24-2006, 07:46 AM
"and falling like a rock"

"you chose.......wisely"
Old 10-24-2006, 10:49 AM
mod or sell?

yes, but you'd need new lines and a master cylinder. also you'd have to rig the rear load sensing valves.