3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

6 cylinders vs 4 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

6 cylinders vs 4 cylinders

whats the drifference between these 2 types of engine?

Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Can you be more specific? What kind of differences are you asking about? What six cylinder engine and what 4 cylinder engine?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by khemraj1999
whats the drifference between these 2 types of engine?

google dude, google.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:27 AM
Tom

2 cylinders
Old 11-02-2006, 03:37 AM

Generally, smoothness of power. If you limit all other options.

In a 4-stroke engine, power stroke is only 1/2 of revelouation of the 2 revelouvation that make a 4 stroke cycle.

With a 4 cylinder engine, each cylinder is 1/4 out of phase from the other, so the power strokes do not over lap. With a 6 cylinder, they are 1/6 out of phase, so the power stroke over laps some. With a 8 cylinders, they are 1/8 out of phase, so you have 2 cylinders always in some part a power stroke. and so on.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by jackb_guppy
Generally, smoothness of power. If you limit all other options.

In a 4-stroke engine, power stroke is only 1/2 of revelouation of the 2 revelouvation that make a 4 stroke cycle.

With a 4 cylinder engine, each cylinder is 1/4 out of phase from the other, so the power strokes do not over lap. With a 6 cylinder, they are 1/6 out of phase, so the power stroke over laps some. With a 8 cylinders, they are 1/8 out of phase, so you have 2 cylinders always in some part a power stroke. and so on.
Thanks, also the more the cylinders the more gas the engine burns?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:07 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Streets closed pizza boy,find another way home...
Old 11-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Tom

When you have an engine with more cylinders, you will have more friction given an engine of the same size, simply as you have more parts.

However, that one thing I will note is that between a V6 and Inline-6, the V6 will likely be more fuel efficient. V6 engines have 4 main bearings whereas an inline-6 will have 7 main bearings.

Also, as inline-6 engines are typically installed in RWD cars, you will have greater driveline loss as you have much more drivetrain parts and mass to turn.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 AM

One thing I always thought was cool about inline six motors, is that they don't need any sort of harmonic balancer.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:00 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
One thing I always thought was cool about inline six motors, is that they don't need any sort of harmonic balancer.
The maxima engines really do not need one...Many members on here run a lightweight aftermarket underdrive pulley without a harmonic balancer.....
Old 11-02-2006, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
The maxima engines really do not need one...Many members on here run a lightweight aftermarket underdrive pulley without a harmonic balancer.....
Huh..I didn't know that. Oh well, just when you thought you knew a lot...
Old 11-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

also weight. pound for pound (same engine material) the 4cyl will generally be lighter than the 6cyl motor.

this question better not be stemming from that so call "race" with a 4 cyl camry.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:24 AM

lol, I read that thread he started. YOU LOST BECAUSE YOU'RE CAR IS OLD, THE CAMRY IS LIGHTER, AND HAS NEWER TECHNOLOGY. /endcap
Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
lol, I read that thread he started. YOU LOST BECAUSE YOU'RE CAR IS OLD, THE CAMRY IS LIGHTER, AND HAS NEWER TECHNOLOGY. /endcap
Wrong again...The camry weighs in at about the same as the 3rd gen +-100lbs either way....

The 4cylinder 2.2l model has only 132hp...

Some models had the 200hp 3.0 liter dohc v6 ..Which is most likely what "b!tch slapped" him...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING THE STREET RACE HERE...RIGHT!?!?!?

keep it on topic or this is getting the lock.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:05 AM

sorrry DanNY . didnt think it would spark so much flames...

thanks everyone for the input

No further comments from me
Old 11-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Maximas

Do

NOT

Have

Harmonic

Balancers.

That little rubber ring on the OEM crank pulley (that isn't there with aftermarket pulleys) is a vibration damper. It's only there to absorb vibration from the alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump, and belt tensioner.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:21 AM

To the OP...

A cylinder is where fuel is mixed with air and ignited by a spark plug to create an explosion that pushes a piston down to turn the engine.

An engine with more cylinders can be more powerful because there are more places to burn fuel, and smoother because of a lot more stuff that is more complicated to explain. It can also be bigger, heavier, and less efficient because it has more moving parts, which can mean more internal friction and more mass.

So, all else equal, a 6-cylinder engine will be bigger, heavier, smoother, more powerful, and less efficient than a 4-cylinder.

Of course, there is a LOT more to it -- total internal volume of the cylinders, the length vs. the diameter of the combustion chambers, what the parts are made of, etc. etc... but that's the jist of it.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:44 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Maximas
Do
NOT
Have
Harmonic Balancers.
What is the purpose of a hamonic balancer?
It purpose is to reduce/eliminate vibrations from an unbalanced crankshaft/engine,right?

So what is a vibration dampener?

It

Is

the

Same

Thing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_balancer
Old 11-02-2006, 01:05 PM

Harmonic (or vibration) dampeners really are only necessary at RPM's > 6000. Below that any vibration will not be enough to be damaging. That is why most of us get away with using UDP's and no balancer. When racing high RPM engines that routinely get spun at 8000+ it is always a good idea to run a dampener.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:28 PM

It purpose is to reduce/eliminate vibrations from an unbalanced crankshaft/engine,right?
Yes. Which is why the VQ, being internally balanced, does not need a harmonic balancer.

The crank pulley on a Maxima functions only to damp vibration from the accessories. It has nothing to do with evening out the motion of the crankshaft because the engine is internally balanced and does not need the help.

So, no, it's not the same thing. A harmonic balancer is also a vibration damper, but a vibration damper is not necessarily a harmonic balancer.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

So, no, it's not the same thing. A harmonic balancer is also a vibration damper, but a vibration damper is not necessarily a harmonic balancer.
Are you going to email wikipedia with this news,or do you want me to?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

lol!

the only engines without harmonic balancers are V12s. Period.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:21 PM

To the OP...

A cylinder is where fuel is mixed with air and ignited by a spark plug to create an explosion that pushes a piston down to turn the engine.

An engine with more cylinders can be more powerful because there are more places to burn fuel, and smoother because of a lot more stuff that is more complicated to explain. It can also be bigger, heavier, and less efficient because it has more moving parts, which can mean more internal friction and more mass.

So, all else equal, a 6-cylinder engine will be bigger, heavier, smoother, more powerful, and less efficient than a 4-cylinder.

Of course, there is a LOT more to it -- total internal volume of the cylinders, the length vs. the diameter of the combustion chambers, what the parts are made of, etc. etc... but that's the jist of it.

u da man!!! i really appreciate your post bro
Old 11-02-2006, 06:32 PM

The way I see it is that more cylinders = more smoothness.

My dads V12 Jaguar... couldn't even feel it running from what I remember.

My mothers V8 Q45... almost can't feel it running.

My Maxima... Decently smooth, but no where near a VQ (could be due to age/lack of tuneup, or maybe the VG is just a little bit rough in general)

My sisters 4 cylinder Accord... A rolling vibrator. I could never drive it.

My friends 2007 Civic... just about as smooth as a 4 cylinder can get, but I was disappointed that I could still feel the vibration throughout the car(very little, but still there)... But I guess you can't escape that from a 4 banger.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:40 PM

kewl!

its a good thing i didnt get the toyota corolla ..lol that would have been like driving a tractor..cause its like 4 cylinders
Old 11-02-2006, 07:05 PM

What the heck is all this ??? I think the noobs need to do some more homework.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:12 PM

So what is a vibration dampener?

It

Is

the

Same

Thing!

Maximas have internally balanced engines. That's what the big-**** counterweights on the crank are for. Or have you not seen one for yourself yet?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by '90_Maxima
lol!

the only engines without harmonic balancers are V12s. Period.
Funniest post yet...
Old 11-02-2006, 07:29 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by nismology
Maximas have internally balanced engines. That's what the big-**** counterweights on the crank are for. Or have you not seen one for yourself yet?
I am too tired to respond to this post.

So i will just quote it for now....
Old 11-02-2006, 07:32 PM

I am too tired to respond to this post.

So i will just quote it for now....
I hope you realize that i meant that the counterweights are on the actual crankshaft, within the motor, not attaced to it outside of the motor, aka crank pulley.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:56 PM

What engine does not have big **** counterweights on the crankshaft? Just because counterweights are present does not make that engine balanced.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:11 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I hope you realize that i meant that the counterweights are on the actual crankshaft, within the motor, not attaced to it outside of the motor, aka crank pulley.

Yes,realized that...I don't give a crap what any of you guys say about the harmonic balancer/crankshaft dampener thing....IMO nissan put it on there to help balance the engine,[not that these engines need much help in this area,they are well balanced without it imo] not to reduce vibrations from accessories as doodfood says it is for...Rubber accessory belts do a fine job of reducing vibrations from accessories...Many members have used underdrive pulleys on these cars with no vibration issues...

I stand by this unless someone can give me proof Via links to websites/experts on the subject...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:52 PM

Yes,realized that...I don't give a crap what any of you guys say about the harmonic balancer/crankshaft dampener thing....IMO nissan put it on there to help balance the engine,[not that these engines need much help in this area,they are well balanced without it imo] not to reduce vibrations from accessories as doodfood says it is for...Rubber accessory belts do a fine job of reducing vibrations from accessories...Many members have used underdrive pulleys on these cars with no vibration issues...

I stand by this unless someone can give me proof Via links to websites/experts on the subject...
Thanks.

Also, a harmonic damper looks much different than our OEM crank pullies if you've ever seen one...
Old 11-02-2006, 09:02 PM

I guess to sum it up, it's there to reduce NVH, not to save the crank from catasrophic failure due to crazy vibration/imbalance. Either way, it's not absolutely necessary like a true harmonic damper would be.

Removing OEM pulley = slightly more vibration...negligible if any

Removing harmonic damper = mechanical suicide
Old 11-02-2006, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Grace_Imports
What engine does not have big **** counterweights on the crankshaft? Just because counterweights are present does not make that engine balanced.
It's balanced enough to not require a harmonic damper.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Thanks.
Also, a harmonic damper looks much different than our OEM crank pullies if you've ever seen one...
Yes,i have been around a few old v8's in my time..They do look different and function in a different way[i.e. counterweight type] but still accomplishes the same goal as all other types of dampers..

Our pulley has rubber dampenening material in between the outer and inner parts of the pulley..This is just a different way of accomplishing the same goal as the other type of vibration damper..

The automotive industry makes little if no difference in the two dampers functions...The only difference is their design..

http://www.tpub.com/content/engine/1.../14037_106.htm

Originally Posted by quoted from above site
The power impulses of an engine result in torsional vibration in the crankshaft. A vibration damper mounted on the front of the crankshaft controls this vibration (fig. 12-21). If this torsional vibration were not controlled, the crankshaft might actually break at certain speeds. Most types of vibration dampers resemble a miniature clutch. A friction facing is mounted between the hub face and a small damper flywheel. The damper flywheel is mounted on the hub face with bolts that go through rubber cones in the flywheel. These cones permit limited circumferential movement between the crankshaft and damper flywheel. That reduces the effects of the torsional vibration in the crankshaft. Several other types of vibration dampers are used; however, they all operate in essentially the same way.
No engine is immune to engine vibration from the crankshaft,so more then others[i.e.older domestic v type engines]..They were not built with as close of tolerances as todays modern engines..[thus most likely the reason why the nissan engines do not have major issues when it is removed and replaced with the aftermarket underdrive pulley].....But even the newest/most modern engine has some vibration from the crank
Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

3-gen = 1pc

4-gen + = 2pc
Old 11-02-2006, 10:53 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
3-gen = 1pc

4-gen + = 2pc
Go back to sleep..

Old 11-03-2006, 03:00 AM

Wrong again...The camry weighs in at about the same as the 3rd gen +-100lbs either way....

The 4cylinder 2.2l model has only 132hp...

Some models had the 200hp 3.0 liter dohc v6 ..Which is most likely what "b!tch slapped" him...
My pop's '05 Camry has, IIRC, a DOHC 16V 2.4L ~160hp / 160tq 4 banger with VVTi. It would easily beat my old VG auto, especially up top. It also consistently averages 33mpg combined.

The VE 5spd is obviously a different story as we are talking at least a 40hp difference.

Quick Reply: 6 cylinders vs 4 cylinders