3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Forced Cold Air Intake?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:32 AM
I can has?

Forced Cold Air Intake?!

So I was reading some new stuff about the concept Ford Lightning that may be coming out soon, and had an idea. First off, here is the part that got my attention:

Designer John Coletti?s team fit the SVT Lightning concept with an all-aluminum, 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged and intercooled V-8 engine conservatively rated at 500 horsepower and 500 foot pounds of torque. And while they were at it, they invented and patented a speed secret for those times when even that much power just isn?t enough. Ford?s patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle?s air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit. On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine?s intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air ? resulting in a denser air charge.
So... It got me thinking, and. With all of the problems making VG Cold Air Intake's. What would be the effects of somehow routing air conditioning vents into the Air Intake Tube past the Ram Air Intake (high flow cone filter) It would still get it's 360 degree's worth of air coming from the filter, but the air would be chilled in the tube before entering the throttle body by the air conditioning system.

I don't think it would be extremely hard to fabricate a tube entry system from say (one/both/ spliced of the vents in the center of the dash and routed it back to a hole in the tube. Have any of you thought about this? Heard about it? And using your common sense how well it would work?

Thanks in advance...
________
UGGS

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 04-18-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:41 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Interesting..
Old 11-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

with the added power loss of the AC compressor running...IMO it's not worth it in a NA setup.

with FI you might end up slightly on the plus side...but that's still up in the air.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:49 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by DanNY
with the added power loss of the AC compressor running...IMO it's not worth it in a NA setup.

with FI you might end up slightly on the plus side...but that's still up in the air.
Hmmm... Underdrive Pulley?
________
MEXICO CITY HOTELS

Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
Also In Florida there's only like one and a half months I can go without my A/C on anyway
________
Vaporizer Review

Old 11-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

slowing down the accessories will yield warmer temps at the vents and then you're back to square one.

instead of adding another post you can edit your previous post to add additional comments.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:03 AM

isn't that the same theory as CO2 charge through the intake or on the intercooler?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
isn't that the same theory as CO2 charge through the intake or on the intercooler?
pretty much...it's lowering intake temps.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 AM
I can has?

hmm... that's true. Still think it would be interesting to see. Or maybe even something to cool it down ran off of another current besides the compressor. Not sure...

Hah, better just go with an (On top of the hood) snorkel like hummers
________
Free ****tube

Old 11-14-2006, 10:24 AM

like dan said yea it's more power but that would consider running the a/c compressor to cool down the coolant thats ran through the ic in terms lost of hp. its bad enough that with a supercharger it takes hp to make hp theory so there is your second lost of hp. See that is ford's problem they come out with an idea and without the proper testing, into production it goes and then in long term they will have pissed of buyers that have burned up a/c compressor

Not my cup of tea
Old 11-14-2006, 10:49 AM
I can has?

like dan said yea it's more power but that would consider running the a/c compressor to cool down the coolant thats ran through the ic in terms lost of hp. its bad enough that with a supercharger it takes hp to make hp theory so there is your second lost of hp. See that is ford's problem they come out with an idea and without the proper testing, into production it goes and then in long term they will have pissed of buyers that have burned up a/c compressor

Not my cup of tea
Hmmm... Can't really say Ford has a problem with not fully testing "idea's" seeing as though they can get Horsepower to the ground probably better than any other domestic company making high horsepowered vehicles. They may have a problem in the future with A/C compressors, but I doubt that using it to cool a small coolant tank will result in that much of a problem. And if you're going with the "It takes HP to make HP" theory with Ford. The 5.4 Liter in all of it's equipped vehicles has never had a problem doing that.
________
Burger king gift cards

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 04-18-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 AM

you misunderstood the point it a theory that applies with superchargers and blowers "It takes Hp to make Hp" and with turbos its free hp. therefore with a supercharger you loose a bit of hp, but you loose hp cuz of it being belt driven from the main pulley and when applying the a/c compressor also there is hp being lost if going to attemp that they might as well use Co2.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 AM

Also In Florida there's only like one and a half months I can go without my A/C on anyway
yea florida has alot of humity, but out here in arizona were its known to get over 115 degrees the a/c is a big factor to us
Old 11-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Conecarver

As mentioned the DEI solution would be much better than the A/C for draw.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

well I didnt read this whole thread but I wanted to mention that the AC clutch cuts off at full throttle so the air would not be cold at that point.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Michael
well I didnt read this whole thread but I wanted to mention that the AC clutch cuts off at full throttle so the air would not be cold at that point.
correct.

what the OP failed to realize is the AC is really cooling the coolant that's going into the liquid to air intercooler/aftercooler. if the coolant is cold while driving around...with the AC switched off the air will still be colder going through the intercooler/aftercooler. this is not a direct charge of cold air going from the AC into the engine...it's the cooling of the liquid in the liquid to air IC after it's been heated up from being compressed by the SC.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

I believe there is a version of this in production. But it allows a temporary higher boost for something like 15 sec. So the benefit is not only the cooler air. It's the allowance for higher boost for that "15 sec". So na cars are pretty much out of luck.

Ice staking uphill again.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:00 PM
No turbo, no care!

you misunderstood the point it a theory that applies with superchargers and blowers "It takes Hp to make Hp" and with turbos its free hp.
I can see how people think this sometimes, but its simply not true. A turbo is a restriction in an otherwise open exhaust, and the engine must work harder to push the exhaust past the turbine blades.

On a side note, using your A/C to cool the liquid and a water-to-air system is nothing new. While this maybe the first production car to do it, tuners (and backyard tuners) have been doing this for many years. But thats to reduce/prevent detonation at higher boost levels, the cooling it intself doesnt actualy produce signifigant HP gains
Old 11-14-2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
I can see how people think this sometimes, but its simply not true. A turbo is a restriction in an otherwise open exhaust, and the engine must work harder to push the exhaust past the turbine blades.

On a side note, using your A/C to cool the liquid and a water-to-air system is nothing new. While this maybe the first production car to do it, tuners (and backyard tuners) have been doing this for many years. But thats to reduce/prevent detonation at higher boost levels, the cooling it intself doesnt actualy produce signifigant HP gains
exactly my point it's useless a waist of effort. At idle with a turbo the engine is not being harmed at all. You have to remember a turbo spins 10 times the rate of the engines rpm the engine is getting the sufficient air it needs. The only problem with turbos is keeping the engine supplied with enough fuel to prevent detenation.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The same would go for supercharger setups... anytime you make more power you have to keep the fuel supply there to keep from detonating.

As said above, the turbo is not free power however it is the most efficient of the forced induction methods. The centrifugal type compressor being very efficient, no "parasitic losses", etc. etc.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i am wanting to put one in but i cant find anything that will fit mine.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Getting back to his roots

Don't forget that the air going into an intercooler on an F/I vehicle gets much hotter than ambient due to the compressor. What you are proposing for the Max would lower the temps from what? 90 degrees on a hot day to 60 degrees maybe? Too much work for too little gain.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:10 AM

The only problem with turbos is keeping the engine supplied with enough fuel to prevent detenation.
That is not the only problem with turbos. What about heat? Since turbos run off the heated exhaust gases, and since compressing air also produces heat, they tend to produce extreme amounts of heat.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Alex_V

A proper turbo setup deals with that. Heat shields, wraps and coatings, with coatings being very effective.

~Alex

Old 12-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jonmandude
they tend to produce extreme amounts of heat.
Turbochargers have some of the highest adiabatic efficiencies of the compressors out there.

Engine bay heat, yes... but compressor wise they are very efficient hence why they are able to make much more power than the superchargers are able to.