3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

new twist on a common problem....exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

new twist on a common problem....exhaust manifold

Well, I finally got around to doing the dreaded manifold stud replacement. It actually has been going REALLY well so far. I got the plenum, ac compressor, alternator, y-pipe, and manifolds off in about 3 hours. I had one stud broken off in the front, and two in the back. Luckily, the front came out in about 15 minutes with an EZ out and close quarter drill, and one of the rears came out in another 15. Then came the problems.....

I gave the last stud a picture perfect centerpunch, and began drilling with the ez-out. I got to a pretty good depth, tried to extract, and nothing happened. So, I drilled further, tried to extract again, and still nothing. Well, it turns out that I was drilling at a totally whacked out angle. Now the ez-out won't work, and if I drill further I'm gonna go right into the head. I was so excited I though it would be done in a day....but no. So, what should I do?? As of right now, the only thing I can think of is to just drill it right through at a wierd angle and helicoil it. I have no more ideas, so help me please!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 02:11 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

lol...well I see you're nearby, I'm getting my exhaust studs replaced on December 7-8th and the guy who is doing them is accepting a group deal type thing..I'm paying 200 bucks to have front and back done (all 12) so if you feel thats a good price, put it back together and get your *** to chicago
Old 11-26-2006, 05:49 AM
mod or sell?

sounds like a job for.... The RED HAMMER!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:32 AM

Can you weld a small bolt to it? I think it would work well. It won't weld the stud to the head because the head is aluminum.

If you don't have a cheapo mig, it might be time to get one! Or a buddy with one I have no maxi friends local...
Old 11-26-2006, 06:59 PM

I made a pretty cool jig for it. I took a plate and drilled a hole in it. Then, with 3 studs screwed into the manifold ( on a part where there were no broken studs) I put one through hole, and put never seize on the ends of the other two. When I slid the plate over the one stud, the never seize on the two other studs left silver circles on the backside of the plate. I center punched them and drilled them out, welded two bolts together and put them over the spot where I needed to drill out the broken stud, and there you go. Here's the end result:

Old 11-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey first of all I see your in WL too, at Purdue? Second, I thought that the coolant passages on the VG were very close to the studs so I would be careful about drilling in any deeper at an angle. Hit me up on PM or something if you want any help(never done MF studs before) or just to meet up some time.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:41 PM

Well, I got the job done today. And the coolant passages was the reason I was pretty worried about the jacked up angle I drilled at. Luckily, I didn't drill in too far. That jig and 1.5 helicoils made the stud hole and threads good as new, if not better. I appreciate your offer for help though!

It's funny you ask about my location, because I AM at purdue right now. I did the job back at home in chicago though, in the comfort of a garage full of tools and jackstands and heat and such. In total it took me about 15 hours, but had it not been for my stupid error it would have only taken about 9.

Oh well though...live and learn. Anyone with the same problem as me, just pm me and I'll ship that jig to you for like $5. I don't need it anymore, but it would sure be a usefull tool to make sure you drill out broken studs dead on. Plus, it would be great to ensure a center punch that was perfect.