3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Best Performance Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:18 PM

Thanks guys,
Since adding the FSTB I have also added a stage 1 lower tie bar and heavier front and rear sway bars, so it might be worth removing the FSTB for a day to see how it changes things.
As for the exhaust, everything from the stock Cat forward was kept original, initially I didn't have a separate resonator, but I had one added a few weeks later, and it did help a little. The exhaust isn't loud from outside the car, but I still get a bit of drone inside, even if I can just stop the drone under cruising conditions I would be happy.

I also just want to clarify, the Y-Pipe includes the flex section, but does it connect to the cat, or is there an extra bit of pipe up to the cat? Is it worth getting the larger cat also, or won't there be much improvement over just doing the Y-pipe alone? Are there any problems fitting the Y-pipe with the stage1 lower tie bar?

Sorry about all the questions, but I want to make sure all will be fine before I go ahead an order. Hopefully one of my friends can bring it back with them from USA when on holidays, as fright for a Y-Pipe is rather nasty!!

Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:02 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by sonicii
Thanks guys,
Since adding the FSTB I have also added a stage 1 lower tie bar and heavier front and rear sway bars, so it might be worth removing the FSTB for a day to see how it changes things.
As for the exhaust, everything from the stock Cat forward was kept original, initially I didn't have a separate resonator, but I had one added a few weeks later, and it did help a little. The exhaust isn't loud from outside the car, but I still get a bit of drone inside, even if I can just stop the drone under cruising conditions I would be happy.

I also just want to clarify, the Y-Pipe includes the flex section, but does it connect to the cat, or is there an extra bit of pipe up to the cat? Is it worth getting the larger cat also, or won't there be much improvement over just doing the Y-pipe alone? Are there any problems fitting the Y-pipe with the stage1 lower tie bar?

Sorry about all the questions, but I want to make sure all will be fine before I go ahead an order. Hopefully one of my friends can bring it back with them from USA when on holidays, as fright for a Y-Pipe is rather nasty!!

Thanks again!
As for the drone, you really need a stock muffler. That's my opinion. I've never been fond of 'performance' mufflers on 4 bangers and V6s.

The WSP Ypipe is the same length as the stock Ypipe. So yes, it will bolt directly to the cat.

It is not worth getting a larger cat or a high flow cat. There is no gain to be had unless you want to completely remove the cat and put in a testpipe, then there would be a small gain.

I can't comment on the lower tie bar. But I am pretty sure it will fit since the WSP Ypipe is shaped very similar to the stock unit. I hope someone else will chime that has this bar that you have along with a WSP Ypipe.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:09 PM

I'll piggyback onto this thread..

My muffler is going out, and I was considering getting the WSP y.. (assuming I'm keeping my max, eh chris? )

Anyways, if I have to replace the muffler anyways and I'm doing the y-pipe, what muffler do you guys recommend? I don't mind a lower deeper sound, not even a little louder.. but I don't want that buzzing loudness you get on a lot of those out there.

Sounds like from where the thread is going with mufflers stock is fine? Any advantage to considering others?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:47 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by kycyk
I'll piggyback onto this thread..

My muffler is going out, and I was considering getting the WSP y.. (assuming I'm keeping my max, eh chris? )

Anyways, if I have to replace the muffler anyways and I'm doing the y-pipe, what muffler do you guys recommend? I don't mind a lower deeper sound, not even a little louder.. but I don't want that buzzing loudness you get on a lot of those out there.

Sounds like from where the thread is going with mufflers stock is fine? Any advantage to considering others?
Nice to see another TN. guy in here..

Magnaflow mufflers have a nice deep tone,but do introduce some cabin drone around 2000rpm...

GReddy cat back systems also sound nice,not sure about cabin drone on these,GReddy is kinda pricey though...Below are a few links to the products mentioned...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...spagenameZWD1V

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/10127040
Old 02-21-2007, 12:40 AM

E-ram

Super e-RAM from here. they show 8.5% horsepower gain. "# 1.7psi Electric Supercharger
# Up to 27 more horesepower GURANTEED!"
Old 02-21-2007, 02:26 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by West.Six
Super e-RAM from here. they show 8.5% horsepower gain. "# 1.7psi Electric Supercharger
# Up to 27 more horesepower GURANTEED!"

Old 02-21-2007, 07:30 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Now, you can get Phenolic Intake Spacers for the VE. This will prevent heat from transferring from the lower IM to the Upper IM. It will drastically reduce the IM temperatures and increase Horsepower by an average of 5hp. It will increase Torque by an average of 8.5ft-lbs! With those power gains, it will definitely be added to everyone's list of bolt ons.

And these spacers will work even better in the hot summers when that intake manifold can get above 160 degrees and take the skin off your hands! Imagine being able to touch your intake manifold after doing city driving for 3 hours in 100 degree temperatures! The power gains will be more noticable in the summer time since this drastically reduces heat soak on the VE.

You can find more information on my website www.nissanworks.com or in this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=511517
Old 03-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Reppin Nebraska by myself

Couple of quick questions because... well I suck.
Need to know where to order
UDP and belts or a link
FSTB and link
Flywheel

I think I can find the Y-pipe, not completely stupid here

Need write up for
CAI (for the VE) can't seem to find it for the 3rd gen, yes have googled it
Old 03-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by polarb68111
UDP and belts or a link
FSTB and link
Flywheel

Need write up for
blehmco has some of that i think..
Old 03-14-2007, 07:46 AM
mod or sell?

UDP and belts or a link
FSTB and link
Flywheel

Need write up for
UDP is made by ASP. you can pick it up through major speed shops.
FSTB you can pick up one for a 5th gen max
Flywheel you can get Fidanza

CAI is basically make your own these days.

though you would have had all these answers if you would donate and use the built in search feature here
Old 03-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by internetautomar
UDP is made by ASP. you can pick it up through major speed shops.
FSTB you can pick up one for a 5th gen max
Flywheel you can get Fidanza

CAI is basically make your own these days.

though you would have had all these answers if you would donate and use the built in search feature here
Indeed, like most of us
Old 03-14-2007, 08:09 AM
NWP Engineering.com

UDP and belts or a link
FSTB and link
Flywheel

Need write up for
Just a few posts above, I gave some of those answers. I even supplied a part number and where you should get the UDP. I think you can still find a CAI on eBay for the VE. Contact Warpspeed Performance and see if they still make these. They might make one for ya while they are getting your Ypipe ready.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:10 AM

Ok well that didnt go as well as I had hoped. I will go ahead and donate money, to make internetautomart happy. I had hoped to get some constructive help and not get the plain jane answers. But I am sure as soon as it says I donate I will get all the magical answers. But the last time I tryed to donate, the site was having issues or something. Just fyi there. I love this site for the information and the oneness it seems that everyone here has about their one common thing, the Maxima. But sometimes it really sucks that certain people have to come on here and just act like asses. I am sorry I am a newbie and that I cant custom fabric every part of my car and that I dont know how to do every detailed thing on it. But that is why I am here so I can learn. Now I am going to donate, I have no problem with that, but I do expect that when I have the donate sign under my name that maybe, just maybe, I can get what I came here for. (A futher understanding of my beloved 3rd gen maxima)
Old 03-14-2007, 08:16 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Ok well that didnt go as well as I had hoped. I will go ahead and donate money, to make internetautomart happy. I had hoped to get some constructive help and not get the plain jane answers. But I am sure as soon as it says I donate I will get all the magical answers. But the last time I tryed to donate, the site was having issues or something. Just fyi there. I love this site for the information and the oneness it seems that everyone here has about their one common thing, the Maxima. But sometimes it really sucks that certain people have to come on here and just act like asses. I am sorry I am a newbie and that I cant custom fabric every part of my car and that I dont know how to do every detailed thing on it. But that is why I am here so I can learn. Now I am going to donate, I have no problem with that, but I do expect that when I have the donate sign under my name that maybe, just maybe, I can get what I came here for. (A futher understanding of my beloved 3rd gen maxima)
Was this comment directed at me? If so, I apologize for appearing to be rude. That was not my intention. I realize that everyone starts somewhere and we were all newbies once. That is why I am always happy to offer help.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:25 AM

No Aaron92SE it wasnt directed at you, I got a little frustrated at Internetautomart and took it out here, forgive me for coming across so rude, I had meant to quote him.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:28 AM
NWP Engineering.com

No Aaron92SE it wasnt directed at you, I got a little frustrated at Internetautomart and took it out here, forgive me for coming across so rude, I had meant to quote him.
No problem. Keep in mind, if you want to get rid of heat soak and gain some nice low end power, Phenolic Intake Spacers are easy to install and worth every penny! They are available for the VE30DE motor.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:35 AM

I was actually going to ask you some stuff about that but I will post that in the appropriate thread.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:42 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I was actually going to ask you some stuff about that but I will post that in the appropriate thread.
Yes, please do.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=511517
Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 PM

i am thinking about doing a warpspeed y pipe and a 2.5 inch custom cat back to greddy evo II axle back which is already on the car
i have read that the warpspeed y pipe will give 15-18 hp just by that alone is that tru if so what kind of gains woould i be looking at for the whole setup roughly
Old 07-28-2011, 02:48 AM

i got hi flow cats because the one on my old 93 v6 nissan truck was cut and stolen
and i found out why....

then i realized my 91 and my old 92 maximas had the exact same cats and didnt
want those to get cut and stolen

for the truck they stole the cat off
i got a new cat back to muffler pipe for 30 and a high flow cat for 110 and at the y pipe side that got cut instead of a new truck y pipe for 250 i just used
an old flange with a few inches of pipe and 1 exhuast pipe coupler and 2 clamps
so i fixed it for 150 and only had 1 clamped connection the rest bolted up
oh and they included new thick cat gaskets and nuts+bolts which was nice

i noticed better sound at least on all 3 but the 2 maximas also had the w.s. y pipes
and felt a little better too
Old 07-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by CandiMan
When dealing with our boats, the best bang for the buck would be suspension mods. You can get aftermarket springs delivered to your door for less than $150. I installed a set of Ksport springs and new struts on a friends 89 GXE and he couldn't be more happy of the results.
Somebody resurrected this thread and as I was browsing threw I came across one of the Sickest 3G's I've ever seen on here or anywhere for that matter! This3rdgen is the reason I'm still on a mission to finish my Maxima. CandiMan deserves madd props for this sweet assss ride!!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by CandiMan
When dealing with our boats, the best bang for the buck would be suspension mods. You can get aftermarket springs delivered to your door for less than $150. I installed a set of Ksport springs and new struts on a friends 89 GXE and he couldn't be more happy of the results.
I Love It Man!!! I tried to quote his post with his pics but it didn't for some reason. Go back to page 1 and check out CandiMan's post/pics.