3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How much of a diff. does a VLSD make as opposed to a

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much of a diff. does a VLSD make as opposed to a

NON VLSD tranny from a performance standpoint? There is BRAND NEW non VLSD tranny being sold for 750.00 which INCLUDES shipping on E-bay. My tranny only has 108K, however I THINK the input shaft bearing need to be replaced and I was thinking of replacing the synchros (1st,2nd) etc. After doing the math for labour, parts etc it would probably be about 600.00. For 150.00 more I can have a brand new NON VLSD.

I can replace the tranny and the driver side axle myself.Or, whats the possibility of SWAPPING the working VLSD from my old tranny into the NEW tranny. Does anyone know if the cases (size) are different?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

93VE5 ABS, VLSD.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Alex_V

Thats a VG tranny. You'd need custom axles, or VG axles and VG hubs. You'd be loosing the VLSD wich is really bad. Lots of VG guys swap to VE parts to get the VLSD.

I dont think you want swap the lsd into the VG tranny that easy. But at 108K you shouldn't have an bad input shaft bearing. Is the tranny fluid full?

My trannys at 221K and it doesn't shift perfectly smoothly but its ISB is fine. But I don't know if its been replaced.

If its a bad input shaft bearing the transmission would have a low pitched whine to it when stopped and in neutral. Push the clutch in and it should stop. Thats your problem correct? If the noise does the oppisite its a clutch problem.

~Alex

Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I think the VE trans is a little beefier as well but am not 100% sure on that.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Thats a VG tranny. You'd need custom axles, or VG axles and VG hubs. You'd be loosing the VLSD wich is really bad. Lots of VG guys swap to VE parts to get the VLSD.

I dont think you want swap the lsd into the VG tranny that easy. But at 108K you shouldn't have an bad input shaft bearing. Is the tranny fluid full?

My trannys at 221K and it doesn't shift perfectly smoothly but its ISB is fine. But I don't know if its been replaced.

If its a bad input shaft bearing the transmission would have a low pitched whine to it when stopped and in neutral. Push the clutch in and it should stop. Thats your problem correct? If the noise does the oppisite its a clutch problem.

~Alex
Alex, the tranny is definitely for the VE and not the VG. The car doesnt whine or whirr but has a grating / vibrating noise (similiar to when someones learning to drive manual shift and doesnt balance the clutch properly) I've just replaced all four engine mounts with three being from Nissan and the 4th is an aftermaket (2 have less than 700 miles and the other about 10 miles) The grating/vibrating noise has subsided but not to my satisfaction. I also know that 2 of the bolts that go into the tranny arent tight because I applied too much pressure and stripped the threading on the case. It's there and holding but not the way it's supposed to be.

There's a tranny leak which I was told is because of the ISB seal. Driver side axle seal was replaced about 200 miles ago and doesnt leak. The tranny fluid level is probably a tad bit below the rec. level (dont wanna refill it with the Amsoil I have until the leak is fixed) but the car is driven less than 10 miles weekly since I have other vehicles to use. I can have the ISB seal replaced for 100.00 labour if I drop and replace the tranny, however I was informed that if I'm fixing the seal then I might also want to replace the synchros bearings etc. which will increase labour and parts cost. I dont want to replace the seal and then replace synchros or something else in 6 mnths time. I was tempted to rebuild the tranny myself but after perusing the archives I'll save that task for another lifetime.

I'm stuck with the car so I wanna fix it right the first time hence the requested inputs about the BRAND NEW tranny vs. rebuilding.

Also, I have Spec stage 2 clutch kit and Fidanza FW with less than 1500 miles on it.

Thanks for the input Michael
Old 01-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Alex_V

Its hard to diagnose probelms over the net, I'd take it to a few shops and ask them what they think the problem is. Im sure theres lots of places that offer free diagnosing.

What makes you think its a VE tranny? Check the tranny code. If it ends with a V it should have a lsd, if thats the case it could be worn out. If it doesnt have a V its a VG tranny.

But more detail on when the whine is. Any time the engine is running in neutral or in gear ETC etc.

~Alex

Old 01-23-2007, 02:59 PM
STFU n00b!

sounds like input shaft bearings to me as well. I've seen it happen many many many times.
and 100k miles is normal to see a failure like this. I've seen VGs, VEs, and VQs all needing new bearings at 60k miles- sometimes even less.

and the internals of all VG/VE/5spd VQs are the same. gears, bearings, differentials, and whatnot. none is stronger than the other. the only difference is the case and a few of the parts. many of the gears and the differentials share the same part numbers between generations.

of course there is the difference between the LSD and non LSD diffs, but a non-LSD 3gen uses the same diff as a non-LSD 4 gen.

all that said, the input shaft bearings aren't hard to replace. If you're getting the input shaft seal done for $100, then having the bearings swapped shouldn't be too much more (the bearings will be about $110, and labor will be about 1 hr for both). so you should be looking around $300 to replace the seal and both bearings, parts and labor.

If the tranny is shifting fine, then there's no reason to mess with the synchros. if they're grinding when you shift, that's another story.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:34 PM

save your $750. pull the tranny, clean out all excess debris that wasn't caught by the magnet, replace the bearing and seals and call it a day. if you crack it open yourself, you can do the seals + a new bearing for the same $100 that you're being quoted for just the seal. 100k miles is nothing. my car has 114k. after replacing the isb a year and a half ago @ 96k, it's like a brand new tranny.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Its hard to diagnose probelms over the net, I'd take it to a few shops and ask them what they think the problem is. Im sure theres lots of places that offer free diagnosing.

What makes you think its a VE tranny? Check the tranny code. If it ends with a V it should have a lsd, if thats the case it could be worn out. If it doesnt have a V its a VG tranny.

But more detail on when the whine is. Any time the engine is running in neutral or in gear ETC etc.

~Alex
Alex, my car tranny code ends with a V according to the firewall tag and the VLSD works as evidenced by both wheels spinning in the same direction. Heres the link to the non locking tranny I was referring to in the 1st post.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand...spagenameZWDVW

I also dont allow ANYONE to drive, sit or diagnose this PARTICULAR car because shes my baby. Call me silly if you may but it is what it is.My lady is always saying how she wishes she was a RED MAXIMA because of the attention I give to this car. The mechanic that's supposed to diagnose it is especially busy and hence my deviation to this forum for some advice.

Matt, you’ve ans. my questions and I’ll go along with your advice. The transmission doesn’t grind at all so I’ll leave well alone and replace the bearings and seals. I think I’ll only be charged 100.00 for the seal and bearing replacement. The synchros will add the tab up. I’m getting OEM parts @ 20% discount since the mechanic is employed at the Nissan Dealership.

Hectic I’m a bit reluctant to redo the tranny myself since I lack the speciality tools and honestly, I’m not that confident with my mechanical skills. I have the FSM plus I’ve been thru most of the archives on the site regarding the rebuild so I have adequate information. In addition, I have a locked /seized VG tranny which I bought (paid 20.00) just to explore the internals. I cracked it open last week and found broken metallic pcs. including a tiny ball but haven’t conducted any additional inspections.

"Thanks again" for ALL of your inputs.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Alex_V

Bob- I was talking about the ebay tranny not yours. They are just advertising it wrong it seems.

I was just curious when exactly the tranny was making a noise. If its with your foot off the clutch and tranny in neutral then its 100% the input shaft bearing. My 240sx has the same problem...

If you need any advice on taking off the tranny you can PM, Ive done it 3 times and Im going to again soon...any way GL I hope you get your baby back together soon, I know exactly what you mean. No one works on my cars but me. Its great to be able to do it all my self.

~Alex

Old 01-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Banned

damn i think i have the input shaft bearing needing to be replaced then ) cuz i hear that exact sound when its in nuteral and foot off the clutch at idle lol. o well not a hard job really i beleave ive done enough tranny shafts and baearings work on my past maximas ive owned
Old 01-24-2007, 02:12 PM

Bob- I was talking about the ebay tranny not yours. They are just advertising it wrong it seems.

I was just curious when exactly the tranny was making a noise. If its with your foot off the clutch and tranny in neutral then its 100% the input shaft bearing. My 240sx has the same problem...

If you need any advice on taking off the tranny you can PM, Ive done it 3 times and Im going to again soon...any way GL I hope you get your baby back together soon, I know exactly what you mean. No one works on my cars but me. Its great to be able to do it all my self.

~Alex
The tranny is advertised correctly. I did some research with the numbers 96Eo7 and eventually came to a site that said it was for a 92-94 SE max without VLSD. I've been looking for the site again but cant seem to locate it. I THINK that VLSD tranny ID is 96Eo17.

The tranny doesnt whine or whirr whether I'm off the clutch or not. It has a momentarily(2-3 sec.) vibrating sound in 1st gear when I'm moving off. It's similiar to how the car would vibrate if someone tried to move off in 2nd or 3rd gear and the rpm's arent very high. If I keep the rpm a bit higher nothing is ever felt or heard. I'll just have the ISB replaced along with the seals and hopefully that should solve the problem.

Thanks for the offer regarding replacing the tranny I'm comfortable doing it since this was done along with another friend when we replaced the engine several mnths ago.

Thanks again bro.

B
Old 01-24-2007, 02:39 PM

No limited slip just sucks. Just down't understand paying more to down grade. GL