3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

r33 taillights

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=Hectic] I'm sure you have a hell of a lot more respect for Goon because he did the WRX conversion himself. You would probably be pretty annoyed if he took your idea and went and shelled out a couple g's to get it done.
QUOTE]

he's actually the 2nd person to put wrx lights on after i did. to my surprise, both people asked if they could, and asked for advice, which showed me how much respect people can have. i could care less if he did them himself or paid to have them done. i would have been disappointed if he paid to have them done poorly. and i give him constructive criticisms from my experince when i see him molding parts together and should be..................... wait i'm going off on a tangent, lol.
i an not meaning to put down your gramps in any way, so dont take it this way, but if he had 100k to toss around to have someone do the hardwork, and money was no object, i'm sure he would have done the work he enjoyed and left the dirty work to others. i HATE doing plastic work. it's messy, smelly and unhealthy. if i could afford to pay someone to do it, i would. if i could afford to have someone block out my car prior to painting it, i would. i enjoy doing metal work, and wouldnt give that up. i enjoy painting, wouldnt give that up. i dont have any less respect for someone who knows their boundaries and chooses to have a pro do it. that keeps business people in business and allows regular people to have time to enjoy their hobbies(in this case cars). i havent been able to be to a real car show in over 3 years because of money issues, time issues and work issues. if i didnt have to worry about doing all the things in my house myself, my car myself, i would have the time to enjoy a car show. but that's a luxury i dont have. once i'm done, itll be a different story.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:23 PM

lol... O teh drama. What are we argueing about?

I was a PITA bugging Shaved about his lights.

Now I'm honorded to have his now
Old 02-22-2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
lol... O teh drama. What are we argueing about?

I was a PITA bugging Shaved about his lights.

Now I'm honorded to have his now
not arguing, just discussing personal preferances over built and bought. so long as the world turns, the discussion will go on.

and you're still a PITA
Old 02-23-2007, 09:18 AM

Shaved thanx for the support.

Hectic, I also don't truly respect those that simply pay to have someone else build their car for them and then take the credit for customizing their car. I can assure you this is not the case. I simply know where I do not have the ability. I have built the engine, I have built the suspension, I have done the E36 conversion. I just do not possess the tools or knowledge to this job as well as I would like it done. I have spent 2 years on the car this far and will probably be working on it for another two or three years before it is done. I have worked on cars since I was in my early teens and have built some nice cars, but I am not a metal worker. Some things you just have to leave to a professional. Trust me if I had your skill, I would have done it myself.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:37 PM

I say to each their own. Why is everyone bashing the guy? I say more power to him and if you want to make ur 3rd gen look great and stand out then great! Do i sense a hint of jealousy or maybe its a lot.

BTW: I don;t see anything wrong with paying someone to do something you can't. It was still your idea and hard earned money and you will be the one driving it.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
I say to each their own. Why is everyone bashing the guy? I say more power to him and if you want to make ur 4rd gen look great and stand out then great! Do i sense a hint of jealousy or maybe its a lot.

BTW: I don;t see anything wrong with paying someone to do something you can't. It was still your idea and hard earned money and you will be the one driving it.

Have you actaully read any of the post?
Old 02-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Alex_V

pfft reading is overrated.

~Alex

Old 02-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
pfft reading is overrated.

~Alex
Word, I say throw your 2 cents in first, and then go back to see if it makes sense later lol.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:12 PM

damn most of the members here are men and they are this bitc#y. what are thier wives like?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:15 PM

damn most of the members here are men and they are this bitc#y. what are thier wives like?
I was actually joking, but that just wasn't smart of you. Say that to someone's face and you might earn that gap boi.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:25 PM

Your brave, saying things like that behind your monitor.:attention

Some ppl these days go on raod trips wearing diapers with poor intentions.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
Some ppl these days go on raod trips wearing diapers with poor intentions.
hahahahaha well worth the edit lmfao
Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 PM
mod or sell?

leave my wife out of this or she'll kill you.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jonmandude
Hectic, I also don't truly respect those that simply pay to have someone else build their car for them and then take the credit for customizing their car. I can assure you this is not the case. I simply know where I do not have the ability. I have built the engine, I have built the suspension, I have done the E36 conversion. I just do not possess the tools or knowledge to this job as well as I would like it done. I have spent 2 years on the car this far and will probably be working on it for another two or three years before it is done. I have worked on cars since I was in my early teens and have built some nice cars, but I am not a metal worker. Some things you just have to leave to a professional. Trust me if I had your skill, I would have done it myself.
It doesn't have to do with lack of respect or anything. You obviously aren't claiming to have done the work yourself which is good.. I'll admit that i'm pretty much just bitter about it because my R33 tails are sitting in the house with plans of a DIY job. But it's not like the conversion was my idea or anything so I guess I can't be too upset. In a way I don't blame you for taking it in because if it were so easy to do, i'd have mine done already. It will be interesting to see the type of job the shop does on your car. Be sure to post some pics when it's done!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:46 PM

I will definitely post some pics when I get her home. It will be nice after bidding on R33 tails on ebay for close to a year before I got a good deal (around $200 shipped) I will be glad to have this mod done and move on to the next one. Like you know it is never really done.

I don't understand why there is any drama. I am cool with anything hectic has said, never felt insulted or defensive. It all seems like conversation to me.
This post wasn't even about me to start with. It was a simple question "are R33 tails an easy mod?" I guess the answer is no.

Right now I am more concerned about the 15 inches of snow I have to shovel in the morning.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:53 AM
mod or sell?

I will definitely post some pics when I get her home. It will be nice after bidding on R33 tails on ebay for close to a year before I got a good deal (around $200 shipped) I will be glad to have this mod done and move on to the next one. Like you know it is never really done.

I don't understand why there is any drama. I am cool with anything hectic has said, never felt insulted or defensive. It all seems like conversation to me.
This post wasn't even about me to start with. It was a simple question "are R33 tails an easy mod?" I guess the answer is no.

Right now I am more concerned about the 15 inches of snow I have to shovel in the morning.
snowblower!!!
or condo in my case
we were going to pick up a car from appleton, but the snow is telling us to stay down here today.
maybe later this week
Old 02-25-2007, 01:25 PM

I don't think the Skyline tails look that bad , they should be on a skyline but the ones on the green car were very clean not that ricer.... I like the way it looks but to each his own
Old 02-25-2007, 04:39 PM

funny...........i didn't mention any names hmmmm
Old 02-25-2007, 06:08 PM

funny...........i didn't mention any names hmmmm
heh, good point. But it's pretty obvious you were talking about me I don't blame you though. that second post was a little harsh when i read it now. good of jonman for not taking it too personally. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. The discussion just got me thinking a lot about pimp my ride. Of course it's not like i'd turn them down if they came knocking at my door
Old 02-25-2007, 06:31 PM

i like pimp my ride but it just isn't very practical. Like lava lamps. you can't shake a lava lamp or it might ruin it so how are you going to have ones in ur car? A fountain in the center console?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Alex_V

A fountain in the center console?
LMAO That was my cousin! That truck was awesome. They sold it recently....

~Alex

Old 02-26-2007, 04:26 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Hectic
The discussion just got me thinking a lot about pimp my ride. Of course it's not like i'd turn them down if they came knocking at my door
I would turn them down if they came to my door. There is no way I would ride around in some of the stuff I have seen from them. Well if it were a car I was going to sell anyway I would do it just so I could get a little more for it since it was on pimp my ride.

Now if Chip Foose came calling I would turn over any vehicle I had to let him work his magic...especially my Chevelle.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by Michael
I would turn them down if they came to my door. There is no way I would ride around in some of the stuff I have seen from them. Well if it were a car I was going to sell anyway I would do it just so I could get a little more for it since it was on pimp my ride.

Now if Chip Foose came calling I would turn over any vehicle I had to let him work his magic...especially my Chevelle.
I agree. PMR is just cosmetic stuff. Not even a nitrous system on a car...If they get it its definitely going to be slower, now that I think about it I dont think they changed the ring and pinion in my cousin's truck to compensate for the bigger tires. She said they are cool but its a TV show not a performance shop...

Chip Foose, come take my car any day!

~Alex

Old 02-26-2007, 07:05 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

on the snow thing, bro.

And I, for one, appreciate your honesty on getting this mod done, as well as the "thick skin" you display by taking everyone's comments and criticisms - positive AND negative. I can think of a couple of people that would've "went off", starting a big argument and such.

Like Juan said in so many words, back in the day (read - two or three years here on the org.y), everyone and their mom would've been ridin' your jock strap about this. But times DO change here, and the quality/type of person that posts here changes as well.

Good luck, and can't wait to see the pics!!

(oh, and Juan - thanks for the info. Will be on the lookout the that! )
Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 AM
mod or sell?

Eh, even overhaulin' ain't much more than a pimp my ride, with a side order of performance.
I wouldn't want Chip touching my car. too much bling for my tastes. I've always been a weight person. The lower it weighs the faster it goes.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Eh, even overhaulin' ain't much more than a pimp my ride, with a side order of performance.
I wouldn't want Chip touching my car. too much bling for my tastes. I've always been a weight person. The lower it weighs the faster it goes.

umm the only bling Foose puts on that is not functional (big brakes etc) is wheels. They are forged wheels usually which are very light even though they are big.

To each his own but you would be insane if you turned down overhauling if they came and asked you if they could do your ride. Remember they get input from the person that helps so your wife or whoever would tell them what you like...or you personally can have input since they cant do the regular overhaulin anywhere besides southern Cal.

AND no Overhaulin is nothing like PMR. They work on every single small detail and pretty much do a frame off. PMR just paints the car and usually not even the engine bay.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

PMR would hate me...I'd tell them I don't want and TV's, gross paint jobs, or stupid trick ****. I'd want lightweight everything, roll cage, race seats, and a big turbo...I doubt they actually know much about wrenching on cars...
Old 02-26-2007, 10:32 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Chip Foose wouldn't touch our cars...
Old 02-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's right! He is intimidated by the awesome power of teh JDM...
Old 02-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Chip Foose wouldn't touch our cars...

speak for yourself. Just remember that my "our car" is a 66 Chevelle and he has already done one of those .

He did do one import (civic I think) though and in the early days of the show he did some cars and trucks you wouldnt think he would.

If someone had a compeling story and a 3rd gen I believe he would do it.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by maxitech
PMR would hate me...I'd tell them I don't want and TV's, gross paint jobs, or stupid trick ****. I'd want lightweight everything, roll cage, race seats, and a big turbo...I doubt they actually know much about wrenching on cars...

I remember when Overhaulin had one or two of the guys that used to do PMR (the old shop) and they were amazed at what Chip and his crew could do in the short time...I cant remember all of it but they were very impressed with the stuff Foose did as not being just an appearance thing. Basically they said something like it was a true restoration/show car build instead of the jokes they did for PMR.

i mean adding 572 big blocks, redoing all the suspension, adding tubular control arms, adding 4 wheel BIG brakes, upgrading rearends (on and on with performance parts)...yeah thats just a "side order of performance" over PMR
Old 02-26-2007, 12:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You are the org's "chip foose" michael..

Originally Posted by Michael
speak for yourself. Just remember that my "our car" is a 66 Chevelle and he has already done one of those .

He did do one import (civic I think) though and in the early days of the show he did some cars and trucks you wouldnt think he would.

If someone had a compeling story and a 3rd gen I believe he would do it.
I have a "compeling story"...
Old 02-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by maxitech
+1. They did put a turbo on some old VW but Im sure that was a kit. Funny how they used an air compressor and glove on the turbo lawl.

I was wondering what Foose would do to my 240sx...SR20DET maybe? Even though I don't really like the SR....I donno I'm sure it'd be sweet.

~Alex

Old 02-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
+1. They did put a turbo on some old VW but Im sure that was a kit. Funny how they used an air compressor and glove on the turbo lawl.

I was wondering what Foose would do to my 240sx...SR20DET maybe? Even though I don't really like the SR....I donno I'm sure it'd be sweet.

~Alex

RB all the way.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:30 PM

man this thread went off on a big tangent...............................
Old 02-26-2007, 02:34 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by shavedmax
man this thread went off on a big tangent...............................

In true org fashion..
Old 02-26-2007, 02:37 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

I was gonna say the same thing... Talk about a "holy drift-into-the-wrong-lane-of-conversation" thread.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
I was gonna say the same thing... Talk about a "holy drift-into-the-wrong-lane-of-conversation" thread.
now if we could only get some pics up of taillight conversions in the works.........................

that was done 4 years ago, although my fabbing skills weren't all that great, i did manage to have less than 1/8" filler around any of the work i did, and i never had any leaks or rust issues(i ripped appart the 1/4's before i got rid of the car).my metal work's gotten better since then

maybe a cefiro install.............

Old 02-26-2007, 03:29 PM

Here's my take 2. Need to work on putting in the gas filler. It's pretty dang crude but did get stripped before primed.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
You are the org's "chip foose" michael..

no I am more like the PMR of the org

Quick Reply: r33 taillights