3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

weird knocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:31 PM
White_Shadow

weird knocks

Hello Everybody! I've been having this problem for a while now but I think is getting worse and I don't know where to start:

I got these little knocks when I hit the gas pedal, I can even feel how the pedal vibrates a little bit, but just when I start giving it gas, after a few seconds the noise is gone, but then I stop on a red light and when accelerating the same knocking sound comes again, this never happen turning or stopping, just when I accelerate and it sounds like coming from the front driver wheel, any help will be appreciate it, Thanks!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does the car itself vibrate or just the pedal? Any loss of power, or does full power appear to be there?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:40 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Bad CV joint maybe?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:41 PM

Have you changed your fuel lately?

Originally Posted by rmdl51
Hello Everybody! I've been having this problem for a while now but I think is getting worse and I don't know where to start:

I got these little knocks when I hit the gas pedal, I can even feel how the pedal vibrates a little bit, but just when I start giving it gas, after a few seconds the noise is gone, but then I stop on a red light and when accelerating the same knocking sound comes again, this never happen turning or stopping, just when I accelerate and it sounds like coming from the front driver wheel, any help will be appreciate it, Thanks!
I'm wondering if you changed gas types/brands? Did you go from Premium octane to 87 recently?

kafene.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:14 PM
White_Shadow

When Idling on Drive (at a red light for instance) the car vibrates a little bit, but when I hit the gas there's no vibration but then I feel like something hitting my gas pedal along with the knocking sound.
Yes, there's been a loss of power due bad compression on cylinder #4 cuz I have a leak on the gasket, actually I'm planning to swap a lower mileage engine soon but I believe that has nothing to do with this problem,somehow I think is something about the suspension but I can't tell for sure what it is, or do you believe the engine problem is related to this? sometimes the knocking sounds kind of hard that makes me think is really serious and I'm afraid of an accident. No change of gas types, 2 years since always fill it up with 89.
what do you think? CV joint? pardon my ignorance, how do I check that?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by rmdl51
When Idling on Drive (at a red light for instance) the car vibrates a little bit, but when I hit the gas there's no vibration but then I feel like something hitting my gas pedal along with the knocking sound.
Yes, there's been a loss of power due bad compression on cylinder #4 cuz I have a leak on the gasket, actually I'm planning to swap a lower mileage engine soon but I believe that has nothing to do with this problem,somehow I think is something about the suspension but I can't tell for sure what it is, or do you believe the engine problem is related to this? sometimes the knocking sounds kind of hard that makes me think is really serious and I'm afraid of an accident. No change of gas types, 2 years since always fill it up with 89.
what do you think? CV joint? pardon my ignorance, how do I check that?
Just checked your profile (should have done that first). My car started knocking badly and had very similar issues to what you're experiencing, but I had a 5th GEN, which requires Premium. I went to Regular for two tanks and the car started to knock. Took a few tanks of Premium to get rid of it. The 3rd Gens, I don't believe require Premium (boy do I miss my 3rd gen).

The CV Joint are covered by black boots. It goes from the axil to the front wheels. If the CV Boots are cracked, damaged, than the grease/oil leaks out leaving the CV Joints suseptible to faster wear & tear. If they are damaged, it's better to get new ones because replacing just the boots won't fix it. The knocking and shaking are symptoms of bad CV Joints, but it may or may not be the actual problem your having. Just something for you to look into. This is NOT to be confused with knocking from the engine. If the knocking is coming from the engine itself, it's not related to the CV Joints.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:52 PM

Yeah the reason I originally asked about loss of power was thinking that you possibly weren't firing on all 6 cyls. This could cause some 'booty shaking' that can also be felt via the pedal - though I wouldn't describe the feeling in the pedal from as a 'knock' per se, but it would feel more severe if your engine mounts are bad.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:05 PM

Did the '90 have a knock sensor? It could also be carbon on the intake valves. Chevron engine deposit cleaner works well here.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:12 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

[QUOTE=92 Max]Did the '90 have a knock sensor? QUOTE]

All 3rd gens have a k/s..
Old 02-19-2007, 06:38 PM

O.K. So does this knocking sound sound like engine knock or ping? It will sound like someone hitting the block with a hammer when you accelerate from a stop or often going up hills. If it is knock then your knock sensor could be bad.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:29 PM
White_Shadow

I did check this weekend for any problem under the car and still can't find what is the cause of the knocking sound, the CV boots seems to be in great condition, shocks seem still pretty good, the sound seems to come from the axle I don't know how to describe it but I can feel it in the gas pedal. what do you think?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:28 PM

It's definitely not related to the type of gas that you're using. When an engine knocks (or pings) due to pre-detonation, it doesn't make a knocking sound at all. It's more like a high pitched gargling metal sound. It sounds like shaking a bag of marbles.

I'm not really sure what the problem could be. I'd have to drive the car to diagnose the problem. I wish that I could be of more help.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:35 AM
White_Shadow

I guess I'll have to take it to a mechanic because I can't figure it out either and unfortunately my knowledge is not so good about this issue. Today I put a slick50 deposit cleaner to see if it helps, but I believe that a different issue, so weird today when driving from work to my home I feel like the car will suddenly stop, I took out my foot from the gas and the car acted like I hitted the brake suddenly twice, weird this never happened before, I know a have an oil leak, I know about a bad engine mount, and I know the rattle sound it's different, this one feel like something is stuck on the wheel and knocks the joint or the axle when I start accelerating, and it's not constant, it's like 3 or 4 knocks then next stop and go could be 6 or 7 and then is gone, it's really confusing I hope I can find the problem and I'll let you know, Thanks everybody for your time!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:38 PM
White_Shadow

Finally!! I figured it out!! Mygreenmax was correct!! Bad CV joint! actually I didn't check pretty good (at night) the CV boots, and today I checked again carefully and I saw them pretty cracked and the driver side is cut in two parts loose, so when I hit the gas the loose part of the boot start rattling, and it's so messy because of the oil leak

I'm wondering how expensive is to fix CV joints, I heard if CV boots got damaged and keep it that way for a while the CV joint will get dirt and mud and will need to be replaced, is that right?

Thank you all for your help!!
Old 03-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had to replace my axles 4 times in the last year and a half. THey are clicking so bad, they even click when I'm driving straight. Each time my mechanic says the boots aren't torn, and the look fine, but when he drives it, sure enough he swaps out both axles due to the clicking. Any ideas why this would be happening so often? I ride on Tein SS Coilovers and don't lower it much at all. Any help is appreciated. Thanks< TH
Old 03-06-2007, 04:54 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by tyhaas
I've had to replace my axles 4 times in the last year and a half. THey are clicking so bad, they even click when I'm driving straight. Each time my mechanic says the boots aren't torn, and the look fine, but when he drives it, sure enough he swaps out both axles due to the clicking. Any ideas why this would be happening so often? I ride on Tein SS Coilovers and don't lower it much at all. Any help is appreciated. Thanks< TH

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10