3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Matt, Kaleb, Anyone... Can you Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 10:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With the '96+ SE rims for the Max and 225/50/16's on my '91 Max, without lowering springs yet I am getting a little rubbing since rotating my tires. Actually the rears seem to be rubbing against the spring coil, and the front seems to be rubbing against the "cardboard-like" under-skirting. Will lowering springs stop this??? Do I need to get some spacers for the rear??? If so where can I get them and how much will they cost?

Old 10-18-2000, 10:20 AM
STFU n00b!

changing the springs won't stop the rubbing at all.. the struts are still the same and they're what determines the angle of the spindle vs struts... if they're rubbing you need to get spacers.

the weird thing is that many other people use the same rims and don't have rubbing problems. ???

H&R makes spacers- call around to your local wheel shops and see what they carry.. H&R are good stuff, but you can also find others out there. good luck bud!
Old 10-18-2000, 10:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

Lowering springs have NOTHING->

to do w/ the rubbing of your tires in your case. If it rubs now, it will rub w/ springs. You need to run 215 width tires or run some spacers.
Old 10-18-2000, 10:36 AM

Thanks Bro...
The funny thing is, is that before I had the tires rotated, there didn't seem to be any rubbing, now all of the sudden its ridiculous. Wonder why? Do you know if places like NTB or those types of places carry the spacers? Any idea on price?
Old 10-18-2000, 10:42 AM
STFU n00b!

dunno about NTB.. never gone there myself.. your best bet is to call "real" wheel shops around town.. the prices are a little higher, but you will get more expertise and probably fix your problem much quicker.

I still dunno why you're rubbing- expecialyl since they weren't rubbing before you had them rotated..

how are tire pressures? check them and make sure they didn't air them up too high. (last time I let a grease monkey at a shop air up my tires, they were over 50psi!!!)
Old 10-24-2000, 08:05 AM

Thanks to all that helped answering my "rubbing" question. I just needed to get an alignment and balance. I guess when the tires were rotated, it wasn't set correctly... Oh well, $103 dollars later and lifetime balancing, and everything's cool...
Old 10-24-2000, 08:17 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally posted by crsmax
Thanks to all that helped answering my "rubbing" question. I just needed to get an alignment and balance. I guess when the tires were rotated, it wasn't set correctly... Oh well, $103 dollars later and lifetime balancing, and everything's cool...
Don't forget that if you have your car lowered you need to get a camber kit and have the camber adjusted. There is no factory adjustment and is why the kit is needed, especially for the rears, they tend to turn in further and will destroy your bushings, especially if you go to a wider, aftermarket tire, which will put undo stress on the bushings and they will surely go! A girl I knew had this happen with her 2" drop and tires. Costly!
Old 10-24-2000, 11:20 PM

The rubbing seems to be directly related to...

the brand of tire, not necessarily the size. I get very little rubbing. But others, like my borther, HAD to get spacers -- even with (close to) the same size tires (me: 225/55/VR16 -- him: 225/50/ZR16).

Since the actual measuring practices may vary form manufacturer to manufacturer, thsi may be some or part of the explination.

Just get spacers and be worry free.

Ryan
ryan@fobart.net
Old 10-25-2000, 10:12 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by Chris Gregg
Don't forget that if you have your car lowered you need to get a camber kit and have the camber adjusted. There is no factory adjustment and is why the kit is needed, especially for the rears, they tend to turn in further and will destroy your bushings, especially if you go to a wider, aftermarket tire, which will put undo stress on the bushings and they will surely go! A girl I knew had this happen with her 2" drop and tires. Costly! [/I]

that's not necessarily true.. every person I've seen with less than a 2" drop has no problems with camber. I've got eibachs, and my camber is well within factory specs- even with slghtly neg camber anyway because my frame was bent in a wreck.
Unless you're dropping your car more than Intrax springs will drop, you don't need camber correction.
then again, if you track race, some high quality monoball camber kits would be good.. dial in a couple deg of neg camber at the track, then turn it back for the drive home.

the maxima is very tolerant of lowering springs in this case. you shouldn't have to have camber correction unless you've got more than 2" drop.
Old 10-25-2000, 01:43 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
Originally posted by Chris Gregg
Don't forget that if you have your car lowered you need to get a camber kit and have the camber adjusted. There is no factory adjustment and is why the kit is needed, especially for the rears, they tend to turn in further and will destroy your bushings, especially if you go to a wider, aftermarket tire, which will put undo stress on the bushings and they will surely go! A girl I knew had this happen with her 2" drop and tires. Costly!
Max's may be "tolerant" but the bushings will go! It may take a year of driving, but why not go ahead and get the camber adjusted! Check the facts. Mine only has a 1" drop and you can LOOK at the tires and tell they are turned in with fact. wheels on it. Like I said, if you put 7or 8" wide tires, the added width straightens the camber by stressing the suspension under the car, thus the bushings will go bad.....eventually. I had Konig Impacts put on mine receantly and went to have the camber kits put on. The dude said he couldn't do it because the tires had straighted the camber back out and it wouldn't be adjusted right. So, now I've got my fact. wheels on and it's going to the alignment shop to have the kits put on. Then, I can run a wider tire and the suspension won't suffer. And spacers may be necessary, but be carefull if you race, they will f@##$ up your car! Anyone running spacers, ask around, most people will do anything to avoid running them, there are negative aspects to doing so!

that's not necessarily true.. every person I've seen with less than a 2" drop has no problems with camber. I've got eibachs, and my camber is well within factory specs- even with slghtly neg camber anyway because my frame was bent in a wreck.
Unless you're dropping your car more than Intrax springs will drop, you don't need camber correction.
then again, if you track race, some high quality monoball camber kits would be good.. dial in a couple deg of neg camber at the track, then turn it back for the drive home.

the maxima is very tolerant of lowering springs in this case. you shouldn't have to have camber correction unless you've got more than 2" drop. [/I]