3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

CAN'T BREATH!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 04:26 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I was just wondering if anyone had attempted to move their intake to that large cavern behind the front bumper below the driver's headlight? What can I use to re route the pipe, pvc? What size?
Old 10-23-2000, 04:45 PM

I'm working on making a ram air style inrtake that mounts beside the fog lights. You might want to use vacuum hose instead of pvc pipe. THen you could move it around where you want.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 10-23-2000, 04:48 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally posted by chris92gxe
I'm working on making a ram air style inrtake that mounts beside the fog lights. You might want to use vacuum hose instead of pvc pipe. THen you could move it around where you want.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

I'm not worried about moving it around. I want something sturdy and won't callapse in on itself when I push on the gas. I know how to run it and what I need to cut, I just need to find out what size pipe to run. I thought about just going to the junk yard and buying another intake system and adding it to mine to get it to behind the front bumper.
Old 10-23-2000, 04:55 PM

hold on i have a question

does making the intake tube/piping mess with the performance of the engine? what i mean is that, couldn't having too long of an intake tube/piping decrease the engine performance. and what about water getting into the engine? could that happen? these are just a few things i was thinking about when i was reading this thread. good luck. and post how it comes out. i want to here how it comes out.
Patrick
Old 10-23-2000, 04:58 PM
Tomo

Re: hold on i have a question

Originally posted by whitymax
does making the intake tube/piping mess with the performance of the engine? what i mean is that, couldn't having too long of an intake tube/piping decrease the engine performance. and what about water getting into the engine? could that happen? these are just a few things i was thinking about when i was reading this thread. good luck. and post how it comes out. i want to here how it comes out.
Patrick
i belive if the piping is too long you get more tq and less hp. but maby that is wah t you like. if you put the filter where the pR one is there is relly no chance of gettign water in you engin

Old 10-23-2000, 05:03 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Re: hold on i have a question

Patrick
There is of course a chance of the filter (K&N) getting wet, but very small. The place I'm talking about, if you've never noticed it, is a "Cavern" behind the front bumper, especially below the headlights. If you take into consideration the plastic splash guards under the car and the fact that the filter won't hang THAT low, then no water should even reach the filter. There is more room in this area than cutting a hole in your wheel well and there should be plenty of fresh air to pull in. Lengthening the tube should not affect performance. If you notice, most intake tubes have air boxes on them which increase the amount of air volume in the tube in order to help cool the incomming air. The Maxima has two. One near the engine right after the map sensor and one directly behind the driver's light which sinks down into the area behind the bumper I was talking about. You can't even see this unless you remove your headlight. And I'm only talking about an additional two feet tops.
Old 10-23-2000, 05:05 PM

Re: Re: hold on i have a question

Originally posted by Tomo
Patrick
i belive if the piping is too long you get more tq and less hp. but maby that is wah t you like. if you put the filter where the pR one is there is relly no chance of gettign water in you engin
Thats totally true, but the way I'm making mine will be shorter or about the same as stock. Mine will come off the throttle body, go under the radiator and come out by the fog light. A true cold air/ram air

Old 10-23-2000, 05:11 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Re: Re: Re: hold on i have a question

Originally posted by chris92gxe
Originally posted by Tomo
Patrick
Thats totally true, but the way I'm making mine will be shorter or about the same as stock. Mine will come off the throttle body, go under the radiator and come out by the fog light. A true cold air/ram air

I see! So what piping are you using to relocate the intake?
Old 10-23-2000, 05:30 PM

I'll use some type of pipe. I still need to find a piece that mounts on the front of the car to catch the air. They make this type on intake on mustangs. If you have ever seen one you'll know what I'm talking about.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed

Old 10-23-2000, 06:11 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: hold on i have a question

Originally posted by Chris Gregg
Patrick
There is of course a chance of the filter (K&N) getting wet, but very small. The place I'm talking about, if you've never noticed it, is a "Cavern" behind the front bumper, especially below the headlights. If you take into consideration the plastic splash guards under the car and the fact that the filter won't hang THAT low, then no water should even reach the filter. There is more room in this area than cutting a hole in your wheel well and there should be plenty of fresh air to pull in. Lengthening the tube should not affect performance. If you notice, most intake tubes have air boxes on them which increase the amount of air volume in the tube in order to help cool the incomming air. The Maxima has two. One near the engine right after the map sensor and one directly behind the driver's light which sinks down into the area behind the bumper I was talking about. You can't even see this unless you remove your headlight. And I'm only talking about an additional two feet tops.
the "boxes" are resonators..they quite down the intake for less air noise.
Dan
Old 10-23-2000, 11:51 PM

I'm interested in finding out about this becuase I am also trying to think of a way to make a cold air with out putting it in the wheel well. Are there any other ideas because I live in oregon where it rains a lot and i am worried about water getting to it..

RYAN
Old 10-24-2000, 12:31 AM

People have said that the CAI's have had no trouble with water. you should give that a try. The custom one I'm making would be more vulnerable to water than the CAI. It will get better performance though.

Old 10-24-2000, 05:49 AM
Greyboy

Filter?

Chris? You were talking about sending the pipe right off of the intake and down below the radiator to the fresh air down there......what about your air filter? I can totally see what you guys are doing, but I think that the area below the headlight is the best. If you're looking for a type of homemade scoop for the air, get duct work piping at Lowes or Home Depot. You'll be able, with time and patience, to make yourself a custom pipe that'll wind around where ever you need it to. Then for the tip of the intake, use one of those air ducts that sit in the floor of your house and spit out the air. No not the decorative piece that is flush with the carpet, but the piece under it. That piece is PERFECT to gather tons of air and ram it down into the rest of the piping to the filter then to the intake.

That's my 2 cents!

Old 10-24-2000, 12:15 PM

Yea but see I live on a road that has some holes turn into some pretty nice pools of water. So I really would like something that would not have a good chance of getting water to it...

RYAN
Old 10-24-2000, 12:30 PM

So that box that is located right after the MAF and hangs down is a resonator??? I was always wondering what that was because I didn't see any wires or anything leading into or out of it. What would happen if that were removed???
Old 10-24-2000, 12:43 PM

i understand what greyboy is talking about with the scoop at the bottom of the bumper (or where ever you want to put it).

are you guys planing on taking off the whole intire stock intake? then use the k n cone filter? then make some kind of custom piping? how will you connect it to the the cone filter? just some thing i was thinking about when i read this post. good luck making this.
Patrick
Old 10-24-2000, 01:28 PM
Greyboy

Ryan

Well...where do you want to put this thing? In the area behind the headlight or have it come out to behind the fog lamps? If you put it in the area below the headlight, that'll be clear of water and shouldn't gobble up any water when you hit a puddle b/c that's practically safe from water flying up in there, furthermore the water would have to flow straight up into the piping to get to the beginning of the current intake and I don't know any water that does that. Just about anywhere you put the intake, it'll be at risk of sucking in water, even the area it is located now! The trick to it is to put a dip or a vertical climb that the air has to go up and the water can't follow. If you look at the current set up, you'll see it does just that. Play around with the idea a little in your head and you'll figure it out.

Old 10-24-2000, 01:36 PM

You have any ideas on how I can relocate my MAS. If I run the new intake directly down from the throttle body then the mass air sensor wont reach. Is there any way to splice the wires to make it longer, or anything else I can do?

Old 10-24-2000, 09:23 PM

GREY BOY

Grey boy, Now would i have to relocate any thing to get behind the head light to make a cold air intake.. How would this be done????

RYAN
Old 10-25-2000, 10:28 AM
Greyboy

Well..

I don't think that you'll need to relocate anything. What I'm going to do is try to fabricate an extension to the end of the existing pipe that's on the box. I'm just gonna run it down to that area BELOW the driver's side headlight and concox a type of scoop that'll harvest up that cold air down there. I did a lot of work in that area whenever I put my foggies on my car and I was even thinking about doing then, but I've been way to busy. I'm gonna have a chance to look at it on Sunday, so I'll post something about it on Monday. I looks as though a couple of inches will have to be cut off the existing pipe to fit an extension on it, but I'll check it out later.

Old 10-25-2000, 10:48 AM
Tomo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chris92gxe
[I]You have any ideas on how I can relocate my MAS. If I run the new intake directly down from the throttle body then the mass air sensor wont reach. Is there any way to splice the wires to make it longer, or anything else I can do?

YOu can splice the wires i wouldn't recomend it thought.

and about not puting a filter where the pr wne would be one idea is to make a heat shild. GET a pop sharger then jsut make a heat shild to block the heat from gettin to the filter, this won't be as good as a CAi but this may be the best souldtion for you(woh wver was askign about this)

Old 10-25-2000, 01:53 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally posted by FitzMax
So that box that is located right after the MAF and hangs down is a resonator??? I was always wondering what that was because I didn't see any wires or anything leading into or out of it. What would happen if that were removed???
A resonator? I thought it was to help cool the air down? Oh well. I'm sending mine to below the bmw headlight behind the bumper. Back to my original question, does anyone know what size pipe? Cause the MA Sensor will have to be relocated with the intake, running the wires will be nothing to the new location. Any ideas on pipe size without taking my intake off and into Lowe's?
Old 10-25-2000, 04:51 PM

I would appreciate any info you can get or have grayboy, on makeing that custom intake....
I be looking for you post on monday...

RYAN