3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

R33 tails installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:51 AM
Alex_V

R32>R34>R33 as far as going with our body style. Look at a R32's rear end, pretty similar to the max's. IMO try to sell the R34's for some 32's and you'll be good as long as they are molded correctly...

~Alex

Old 04-03-2007, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by traxtar944
hmm...I have a set of R34's in the basement waiting to be put on. I can't wait to see the response THOSE get....

Seen it done. It's HOT. I reealy like it. Espcailly with a stillen kit.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by jonmandude
As someone who has also done more than a couple cars I can say what order you do them in doesn't matter.
I have done (in this order)
Rims
suspension (lower)
engine/trans
exhaust/intake
mores suspension (stiffer)
brakes
E36 conversion
CF hood

Damaged rims (combination crappy roads/cheap rims)

Now tails
next will be spoiler
then will be new rims
then new paint

Forget "wow" factor. Do what pleases you as you can afford it. Try to plan everything out before digging in. Have a plan and see it thru. Don't listen to others, follow your own thoughts.
you still ended up doing it in the order i said......................i didnt add performance mods because they dont matter to me.

by wow factor i'm not talking about other people, jut your own self esteem. i rode around on a lowered car with body mods and stock wheels and it was GHETTO. if you have a clean car with rims, no one looks at you funny, you can wash the car and be happy. if you have to wash your car with a brillo pad and it still looks as bad as it did before it doesnt help you to accomplish your goal of finishing the car. at least id it's got some nice wheels and at a good height, when you wash the primer you can still stand back and say wow, that looks cool. i wish i had pics on cardomain of when i had the stock wheels and the gs300 tails, i wish i had put nice wheels on first, them mods becuase the car stayed in primer for 2 years

Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

MY two cents worth...

...At 42 I have realized something...do things for yourself. Try things that spark your interest, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But never do anything based on what others tell you works or doesn't. What you choose to call rice is what many others will call mods... When you stop worrying what others think, then you will start to be an individual.
Ya know, this is pretty much what I try to impart to most everyone I meet or talk to. Even though I don't look nearly as old/young as my 41 years, for some gosh-forsaken reason, everyone ASSumes that because I'm as old/young as I am, I should be kicking back driving my minivan somewhere enjoying a bit of Lawrence Welk with a spattering of prune juice.

All I got to say is that if you like wht you do to your ride, do it. If someone else doesn't like it or has an opposing view about it, then they shouldn't do it.

Food for thought.... now do the dishes!!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Ya know, this is pretty much what I try to impart to most everyone I meet or talk to. Even though I don't look nearly as old/young as my 41 years, for some gosh-forsaken reason, everyone ASSumes that because I'm as old/young as I am, I should be kicking back driving my minivan somewhere enjoying a bit of Lawrence Welk with a spattering of prune juice.

All I got to say is that if you like wht you do to your ride, do it. If someone else doesn't like it or has an opposing view about it, then they shouldn't do it.

Food for thought.... now do the dishes!!
You and I need to get together brother!!!!

Let's add people need to lighten the hell up.

And for the record R32 tails look like ****. Maybe they line up, maybe they don't but.....
Old 04-04-2007, 05:07 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

why all the minivan bashing . I drive one...I almost bought my neighbors 99 Tahoe because its immaculate (could have gotten it for 5K where KBB and others value it over 10K) but I dont want the gas mileage that thing gets so I will just save up some more money and buy a new minivan in a year or so...till then my older minivan works just fine. With 3 kids its just better.

Yeah R32 tails do look bad IMO. Look too much like factory lights to put any time into changing them.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:22 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Hey dude I just noticed you're sweet3rdgen on CMC! I had no idea you were on the org too...I'd like to see your car in person one of these days
Old 04-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

jonmandude is sweet3rdgen on CMC? I've seen his car on cardomain and think it looks alright! It has pics before the R33 tail light install.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2091707
Old 04-04-2007, 05:55 PM
bald aggression est 78

First, I am not offended. Your comments reflect your views, not mine. I would guess by your comment that Arlen Ness, at 60, is too old to build choppers? At 42 I have realized something that apparently you have yet to learn, do things for yourself. Try things that spark your interest, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But never do anything based on what others tell you works or doesn't. What you choose to call rice is what many others will call mods. The same way of thinking is applied to lambo doors and yet it is still a very popular item. The people that will laugh are close-minded individuals who just don't see beyond their own likes and dislikes, people who think their way is the only way. Often I see things done that I wouldn't do, I don't criticize, I compliment the desire to do something different. When you stop worrying what others think, then you will start to be an individual.
i wish this site had sound affects cuz you'd get a standin ovation.I'm not here to flame or direspect anyone,my car wont see have the modds that you have maybe a body kit chrome out some under hood parts and some wheels.But feel the same way alot of the guys do when some one ask's me the all to familair question.I tell them i like what i like and then show them the completed project.9 times out of 10 they'll see it my way. so just take the hate and use it as fuel.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kountz430
i wish this site had sound affects cuz you'd get a standin ovation.I'm not here to flame or direspect anyone,my car wont see have the modds that you have maybe a body kit chrome out some under hood parts and some wheels.But feel the same way alot of the guys do when some one ask's me the all to familair question.I tell them i like what i like and then show them the completed project.9 times out of 10 they'll see it my way. so just take the hate and use it as fuel.
I never got on here to flame or disrespect either. I got on here because, like everybody else here, I have a Maxima that I truly enjoy having. Also because I don't know everything and many here know a lot more than I. I don't feel any hate from any of the posts in this thread, just different views and debate. It's all good.

c-max and trax, yep that's me. I just get bored using the same name everywhere. Thanks for the kind. I hope to be at Maxus, but now my car is going back into the shop after a little fender bender. Stupid, bad drivers. At least she has insurance.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Droppin logs

props for actually accomplishing something most people only talk about...
Old 04-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Alex_V

FWD AT NA =/= AWD MT FI
SE............................ GTR

Not quite close....(after looking at your cardomain)

~Alex

Old 04-04-2007, 11:57 PM

Oh boo hoo quit post whoring his thread Alex, he's gonna come beatchur *** since April 15 = CMC meet.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Alex_V

I doubt I'll be here.

My max is faster then his, does it make mine a GTR by default?

~Alex

Old 04-05-2007, 12:07 AM

pff your max aint faster until you officially tap that pedal thread
Old 04-05-2007, 11:18 AM

Aint no beatings necessary. Alex just has an opinion, not one that I share but an opinion he is entitled to. Alex, when you stop placing the Skyline on a pedestal and realize that it is just a car, a very impressive car but just a car none the less, then you will not be so much against someone using the GT-R emblems on their car. The GT-R badge is just a piece of plastic and paint, nothing worth getting upset over. Let it go man.

I doubt if I will be at any meet in April.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:32 PM

Well, After paint and some more work, I think I am finished with the outside. I put a 96 Maxima rear badge on and trimmed the bezels. The more I have it, the more I like it. At first I thought I hated it and thought "what have I done?" I look at old pics and love the look of the factory lights blacked out. But in the interst of being different...

Before you all flame the spoiler, it is carbon fiber and I got a sponsor deal from JSP America. The spoiler lists at $700, wholesale to dealers is $400, I got it for $319 shipped.

Last edited by jonmandude; 04-16-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I can has?

hmmmm.... looks like a lot of money and work went into it. But it's just so completely not my style. I commend you on your efforts to be different and put what looks like a lot of work into it... but my taste varies greatly.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:45 PM

That is why we all mod our cars, because we are individuals with individual tastes. I know (most) others will not like what I have done, so be it.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jonmandude;6357534[B
]That is why we all mod our cars, because we are individuals with individual tastes[/B]. I know (most) others will not like what I have done, so be it.

Truth, these days I'm just happy to see ppl show love for our cars.

Spray some flat black on that spare wheel well!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM

I think it looks pretty good...I deff think some kind of body kit or lip kit would set the car off w/ a bad *** set of wheels...good job tho
Old 04-16-2008, 05:48 PM

Definitely looking for the right wheels. No body kit for me. The only one that appeals to me is the Stillen kit but too many of them.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 PM

Definitely looking for the right wheels. No body kit for me. The only one that appeals to me is the Stillen kit but too many of them.
I agree w/ that...That's why I went custom w/ it...
Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM
mod or sell?

eh, that spoiler still sucks, and your excuse is a cop out and you know that.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 AM

... all flame the spoiler, it is carbon fiber....
Take care the fallin scaffolding wont scratch it. The max itself looks great!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 AM

Ditch the badging and the football bench that you bolted to the trunk.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Mucho props

As much critisism as you are getting for the tails......I think they look sexy as hell. The fitment is pretty good and they look well at home on that car. They are also much better after you painted them. Looks good man.......And this is for all the haterz out there........your mad cuz he got it done first................Great job man
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by j_dragon78
As much critisism as you are getting for the tails......I think they look sexy as hell. The fitment is pretty good and they look well at home on that car. They are also much better after you painted them. Looks good man.......And this is for all the haterz out there........your mad cuz he got it done first................Great job man
well ionno about all that, but it's definitely nice to see someone try something different for a change.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by j_dragon78
I don't think there are any "haterz" out there. He paid a shop to install the tails and they pretty much botched the job. That is why he is getting criticism (at least from me). I feel bad for him for spending the amount of money he did and have it turn out this way. Not be"cuz" he got it done before anyone else, which he didn't. It's been done by others years before he even registered here.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 PM

I like it, wish the shop had done a better job on it for you. You really think you're done aesthetically? You're not thinking of putting some rims on?

I'd love to see some night shots of the back
Old 04-17-2008, 06:58 PM

from those 2 pictures on this page I think the shop destroyed what could have been a sexy looking Maxima. That being said i think the wing looks terrible and the car at least needs some rims to remove attention from the tails or at least accent them.

Anyway, i would not have done it and never will but props for having done it.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:25 AM

Rims are next.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:21 AM

people keep blaming the shop; couple of things to remember, these were not designed for a maxima, they are for a round rear end, this was a custom job and the shop probably has not seen another max with these tails to compare, there is no specific way to install these
Old 04-18-2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Maximahappy22

Anyway, i would not have done it and never will but props for having done it.

I would never do it again.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I would never do it again.
because it's impossible to fit them perfectly, or b/c you don't like the look after all, or what? You know most people here never would have, but you're the only one with true hindsight since you've actually done it.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:12 PM

looks hot.
would'v looked hotter with a single tip muffler, ditched spoiler, and ditched foglights.. painted white rims look like they belong.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
because it's impossible to fit them perfectly, or b/c you don't like the look after all, or what? You know most people here never would have, but you're the only one with true hindsight since you've actually done it.
I am not the only one, two have done it. I wouldn't do it again because the cost to do it does not outweigh the finished product. I think stock 90 SE tails look very nice, R33 tails look nice too just not $2000+ better.

If you like the look, plan on spending $4000+ to do it well. If not, do not attempt.

I am happy that I did it, but after seeing the finished product I would not mess up a beautifully designed back end for this.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
I am not the only one, two have done it. I wouldn't do it again because the cost to do it does not outweigh the finished product. I think stock 90 SE tails look very nice, R33 tails look nice too just not $2000+ better.

If you like the look, plan on spending $4000+ to do it well. If not, do not attempt.

I am happy that I did it, but after seeing the finished product I would not mess up a beautifully designed back end for this.

And for the record my opinion is not based on the negative views expressedd here. I don't care about the haters
Old 04-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I actually like the tails some and the front ALOT. But I just wanted to let you know, just in case you weren't aware of this, passing motorists make fun of your car on a daily basis. Can we come to a compromise here? Ditch the wing, the maxima emblem, and put the GTR badge in the middle of the trunk lid.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
I actually like the tails some and the front ALOT. But I just wanted to let you know, just in case you weren't aware of this, passing motorists make fun of your car on a daily basis. Can we come to a compromise here? Ditch the wing, the maxima emblem, and put the GTR badge in the middle of the trunk lid.
1) thanks for the compliment
2) actually I have only heard compliments from passing motorists and "thumbs up"

3) Compromise? Why would I compromise to please others? It is my car. And definitely why would I move the GTR badge to the center?

Honestly I appreciate the comments by everyone. I don't share the views but do appreciate all.

Quick Reply: R33 tails installed