3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

iPod integration question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:40 AM
Tom

iPod integration question

I recently bought an iPod and it's great.

I'd like to listen to it in the car now and was wondering what everybody did to make that possible. I've seen FM modulators, tape deck adaptors, etc.

What's your solution?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:23 AM

The easiest and best way is to buy a radio with aux. inputs. this will allow you to connect it directly, as tape deck adpaters work good, youll have a wire coming out of your tape deck and it degrades the sound quality some (less so on newer models)
FM modulators are annoying, as when you travel and radio stations change you'll have to keep switching stations on the modulator. but they do work pretty well otherwise.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:33 AM

I personally don't like FM transmitters at all, they're annoying to use and you often get static, plus they're really hard on your iPods battery life. Buying a head unit with auxilary inputs would probably be best, and one that supports iPod integration through USB is ideal, as it provides the highest sound quality.

But the much cheaper solution is to go with the tape

EDIT:
I was talking about transmitters not modulators
Old 03-11-2007, 08:59 AM

My FM Modulator works great! Here was my write-up:

Unless your car stereo/head unit has an auxiliary input or RCA connections, playing your Ipod in your car is difficult, and FM transmitters and tape adapters offer poor quality sound. After searching on Google, I found that people used an FM modulator with success. This project was completed on a Sony Xplod HU from 1999, but any HU should suffice (all you need is an FM radio!).

The FM modulator is made by Scosche (FM-MOD01) and was $19.95 with free shipping at Shop4Tech.com. This was a lot cheaper than FM transmitters (>$50)which usually plug into the cigarette lighter and then broadcast to a preset radio station. An FM modulator is similar in that it plays on a certain radio station, but it is installed in-line between your antenna wire and head unit and provides near CD/radio quality sound. The unit comes with a 3.5 mm plug joined to RCA cables (Y connector) which goes from the source/Ipod to the unit, respectively.

1. Remove the dash and head unit.
2. Find a ground and a +12V source to power the FM modulator.
3. Connect the antenna leads (male to head unit and female to antenna).
4. Plug in the Y connector.
5. Set the radio station to 87.9 or 88.3.
6. Power on the unit using the switch.
7. Plug in your Ipod and test the volume setting. There is a gain adjustment on the back of the unit which can help eliminate noise and distortion.
8. Find a place for the switch and where to run the 3.5 mm plug.
9. Make sure all wires are tucked away neatly.

Total install time was about 1 hour including drilling the coin tray for the switch and adding spade connectors to the switch. You might want to upgrade the Y connector for the best sound, but I didn't think it was necessary. The unit takes about 5 seconds to power on. Make sure you turn it off to get better radio reception.

Pics at my cardomain site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/334131

Old 03-11-2007, 09:11 AM
mod or sell?

we used an FM Transmitter on my brothers Hard drive jukebox when we installed it in his truck.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 AM

One more important note:

FM modulator =/= FM transmitter (explained above)
Old 03-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Way out West

I have two different FM modulators and I wasn't too happy with the sound quality on them. One is a cheap no-name brand and the other is a Belkin.

I ended up buying a tape adapter for the Infiniti. I liked that better, since I never use tapes and it cost like $9.

If I had an older aftermarket stereo in my wife's rig, I would sell it and buy a new one with a dedicated ipod jack, though.

Certain factory stereos have ipod adapters available, but I couldn't find one for our Infiniti -- I think because it has an in-dash 6 disc changer -- and I imagine our old Maximas don't have them, either. MrGone put an adapter and bluetooth in his dad's Bimmer (stock HU) and that is pretty fresh.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:14 PM
94c Big Max

ipod =
Old 03-11-2007, 09:55 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by ghostmax
My FM Modulator works great! Here was my write-up:
You da man! I recently got an mp3 player and don't want to have to buy a new HU nor do I want to mess with FM transmitters since I know most cheap ones don't work.

You've sold me! I'm getting one now. This better work!
Old 03-12-2007, 06:17 AM

Aaron, I hope it works for you too. Make sure you get one that disables the antenna. All other ones will be very crappy. I think this is the best option for people without aux inputs and who do not want to buy a new HU.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:57 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by ghostmax
Aaron, I hope it works for you too. Make sure you get one that disables the antenna. All other ones will be very crappy. I think this is the best option for people without aux inputs and who do not want to buy a new HU.
I already ordered the exact same one you recommended. $19.95 shipped. Thank you.