3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Windshield washer fluid pump not working-electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Windshield washer fluid pump not working-electrical?

My wipers work fine, but the washer fluid won't spray. I looked underneath the splash guard at the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir and the pump doesn't do anything when the washer fluid lever is pulled. I do hear a clicking from the relay box (I think that's what it is) next to the battery every time the lever is pulled, though. Does this mean I have an electrical connection problem, or maybe a fried pump? Anyone ever experienced this or have any advice?
Old 03-10-2007, 03:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

My guess would be the pump is toasty-roasty..
Old 03-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by hoyshnin
My wipers work fine, but the washer fluid won't spray. I looked underneath the splash guard at the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir and the pump doesn't do anything when the washer fluid lever is pulled. I do hear a clicking from the relay box (I think that's what it is) next to the battery every time the lever is pulled, though. Does this mean I have an electrical connection problem, or maybe a fried pump? Anyone ever experienced this or have any advice?
That was the first thing I fixed on my car after I bought it. About $20 from some auto store, but beware, they rust out. Aftermarket ones are generic, and do not involve removal of the old pump. The new pump will suck the fluid through the chamber of the old pump, then send it on its way. Make the old-pump-to-new-pump line as short as possible, and mount it at or below the level of the old pump, because pumps push better than they pull, well, this one does at least.

But before you do any of that, disconnect the harness from the pump, stick a multimeter in it, turn your ignition to ACC, have a friend pull the handle while you're watching your voltage. Should be 12-14v as long as the handle is being pulled. If not, look elsewhere in the electrical system.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:28 PM
mod or sell?

I bought a direct fit for my old VE when it was leaking. no hacking required
Old 03-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I bought a direct fit for my old VE when it was leaking. no hacking required
would there be any difference between VG and VE washer pump/tanks? seems like too small a detail to have been made differently. I wish I'd been able to find a direct-fit pump but that was before I started going to junkyards or joined the Org or anything.

To the poster: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=474118 ask him if he's got one you can buy, if you test and your voltage is good
Old 03-11-2007, 12:10 AM

[QUOTE=capedcadaver]would there be any difference between VG and VE washer pump/tanks? seems like too small a detail to have been made differently.

ve washer pumps have...oh , lets say....30 more hp
Old 03-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

[QUOTE=maximagician]
Originally Posted by capedcadaver
would there be any difference between VG and VE washer pump/tanks? seems like too small a detail to have been made differently.

ve washer pumps have...oh , lets say....30 more hp
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:25 AM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
That was the first thing I fixed on my car after I bought it. About $20 from some auto store, but beware, they rust out. Aftermarket ones are generic, and do not involve removal of the old pump. The new pump will suck the fluid through the chamber of the old pump, then send it on its way. Make the old-pump-to-new-pump line as short as possible, and mount it at or below the level of the old pump, because pumps push better than they pull, well, this one does at least.

But before you do any of that, disconnect the harness from the pump, stick a multimeter in it, turn your ignition to ACC, have a friend pull the handle while you're watching your voltage. Should be 12-14v as long as the handle is being pulled. If not, look elsewhere in the electrical system.
Yeah, I'll have to get a multimeter (don't have one right now) and check, I figured if it was a really common problem maybe I could just assume it was the pump, but I'll have to check the voltage.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by hoyshnin
Yeah, I'll have to get a multimeter (don't have one right now) and check, I figured if it was a really common problem maybe I could just assume it was the pump, but I'll have to check the voltage.
$7 dollar bin at Harbor Freight! By a spare if you plan to use it alot, in case the battery on the first dies in the middle of a testing job.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Reppin Nebraska by myself

30 hp sounds about right!!