3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

List of mods for new Maxima owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2000, 08:54 AM

Alright, I did my homework and this is what I'm looking for. I already own a CHERRY 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo, so I know Courtesy is the bomb. Here's what I got so far, any comments / advice?

'94 Maxima, so it's got 190 HP, a timing CHAIN, and doesn't have the VTC prob of the '92-'93s.

BTW, does the '94 SE have the spoiler with it and does it come in automatic? My Z is my toy, this Maxima will be my daily driver.

LIST OF MODS (in order of sequence)
60K maintenance (plus tensioner, water pump, 02 sensors etc. done it before on Z - price of parts/labor? probably do UD pulley and belts at same time)
FSTB $65 plus shipping
Intake (I like the JWT POP charger, but could someone please tell me more about the CAI custom air intake? Made by Place Racing. What's up with this mod?!)
Mufflers (hella cheaper than Z's - where can I take a look at some - I like the HKS Hiper on Z's - are they the same?)Y-pipe or X? (why are Y-pipes from Cattman so popular?)Test-cats (It's legal in my state - no problems, right?)Computer chip (?? make/price/contact/gain ??)
UD Pully (UR - please give me price)
Polyeurethane bushings (Energy Suspension - Price?)
Headlights (something better than just PIAAs - could be anything, like those Wagner BL's or Bluevisions you guys are talking about - just want them bright as hell and with a definite tint of blue - maybe even purple)
Rims (You guys seem to like the late models rims - I guess they are cheaper and 16"ers ... can they use 3rg gen Z rims?)
Body kits and RICEY spoilers (I'm going for it! Haha! How much to paint and install?)
H & R springs (cost plus labor?)
Bra (from where and how much?)
Car cover (good seller and price?)
Roof rack (please suggest maker/price/contact. Also, do they get in the way of the sunroof? Gotta have them both for Hawaii!)
Clear corners (Courtesy - Price?)
That's about it for now :P Thanks is advance.

Max Z

[Edited by Max Z on 08-25-2000 at 12:22 PM]

Old 08-25-2000, 11:41 AM

Maxima parts

The 94 SE does have the spoiler with it and it does have the option of having an automatic (although 5-speeds are also available)

LIST OF MODS
Could someone please tell me more about the CAI custom air intake? Made by Place Racing. What's up with this mod?!)
* It will relocate a JWT or Stillen K&N airfilter into your drivers side front fenderwell. This will allow the engine to use cooler air from your fenderwell instead of the hot engine air in your engine compartment.

Why are Y-pipes from Cattman so popular?
* He is a Maxima owner/enthusiast who decided to make the y-pipe modification after doing many hours of research and development using his own money in the process. We tend to take care of the ones who take care of us. Brian Catts is a very reputable business man who will go out of his way to make the customer happy with the best product possible. What more could you want?

Test-cats (It's legal in my state - no problems, right?)
* If it is legal in your state you should not have any problems

Computer chip (?? make/price/contact/gain ??)
* http://www.jimwolftechnology.com Give them a call and ask for details

UD Pully (UR - please give me price)
* It should cost around $220

Rims (You guys seem to like the late models rims - I guess they are cheaper and 16"ers ... can they use 3rg gen Z rims?)
* Try the Mustang rims (5 spoke or Cobra rims) Take a look at what my brother did to his 93 Maxima at: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S...92/rides1.html

H & R springs (cost plus labor?)
* Probably around $220 from <A HREF="http://www.nopi.com">NOPI</A> labor can range anywhere from $75+ depending on the shop that installs them

Bra (from where and how much?)
* <A HREF="http://www.courtesy-nissan.com/">Courtesy Nissan</A> ??? on price. Ask for Steve Richardson and tell him you are from the Maxima BBS for discounts on all parts.

Car cover (good seller and price?)
* Same as above

Clear corners (Courtesy - Price?)
* Same as above

I hope that helps

[Edited by jgadlage on 08-25-2000 at 01:45 PM]
Old 08-25-2000, 12:53 PM

Lets see some Z pics ? thanks :) n/m

YO
Old 08-26-2000, 01:00 AM

Maxima parts (Continued)

LIST OF MODS
Could someone please tell me more about the CAI custom air intake? Made by Place Racing. What's up with this mod?!)
* It will relocate a JWT or Stillen K&N airfilter into your drivers side front fenderwell. This will allow the engine to use cooler air from your fenderwell instead of the hot engine air in your engine compartment.

Aha, I've heard of these. How much for installing the air system? And how much for the pipes? One more thing: I hear you have to watch out for big puddles, because if you suck in water, your engine goes to the shop. Is this true?

Computer chip (?? make/price/contact/gain ??)
* http://www.jimwolftechnology.com Give them a call and ask for details
How much for the chip? Does it have NOS mapped in it? Thinking about getting that. ;>

Springs
What about just cutting them? Like this guy here: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Show/3892/rides1.html">Dude's Maxima</A>. He cut the front springs by 1" and the rear springs with 3/4"s and says he had no alignmnet problems. True? And how much does the ride change by?

NOS
HAHA! <evil grin!> How much for a *SAFE* system - I hear there are two different systems, gotta have the best/safest. Wet or dry? And how large a shot? How much are the bottles and who's got the systems? Install cost?

[B]Thanks again for your help!

[Edited by Max Z on 08-26-2000 at 03:28 AM]

Old 08-26-2000, 02:02 AM

Answers

Aha, I've heard of these. How much for installing the air system? And how much for the pipes? One more thing: I hear you have to watch out for big puddles, because if you suck in water, your engine goes to the shop. Is this true?
* It isn't that bad installing the CAI, but it will take a bit of cutting. You will have to cut a 3" hole in your drivers side front fenderwell, but fear not you will not be hurting the structural integrity of your Maxima. The hole will not be visible to the unsuspecting eye. I think that they usually go for around $225 but this is just a guess. You do not really have to watch out for big puddles. The only thing you have to worry about is really deep (middle of your door level) standing water. Taking into consideration that you don't plan on using your Maxima as a pontoon boat anytime soon, water will not be a problem. Your fenderlining will keep all water from getting into your filter. Now if your fenderlining is removed, sucking water into the intake will be of great concern.

How much for the chip? Does it have NOS mapped in it? Thinking about getting that. ;>
* I would imagine that this could range anywhere from $400-650 but I don't know the definate price of this product. I am sure that you could have NOS mapped to it if you would like. Jim Wolf Technology (<A HREF="www.jimwolftechnology.com">www.jimwolftechno logy.com</A>) has a NOS kit with a controller included.

Springs
What about just cutting them? Like this guy here: Dude's Maxima. He cut the front springs by 1" and the rear springs with 3/4"s and says he had no alignmnet problems. True? And how much does the ride change by?
* That guy is my brother and I can tell you DON'T EVEN THINK OF CUTTING YOUR SPRINGS! It may make your Maxima sit just the way you want it but you will be in for one of the harshest rides of your life and you will regret every second of it. It is definately not worth it to cut your springs, I can tell you from first hand experience of riding in his car. It cornered great but it rode like crap. Get a set of Intrax 1 3/4" or Sprint 2" lowering springs if you want to go low.

NOS
HAHA! How much for a *SAFE* system - I hear there are two different systems, gotta have the best/safest. Wet or dry? And how large a shot? How much are the bottles and who's got the systems? Install cost?
* Depends on what you want to do. If you want the NOS system to add fuel while it is adding NOS then you would go for the "Wet" system. If you want the NOS system to just inject NOS then you go for the "Dry" system. Typically the dry system works really well and costs a bit less than the wet system. Both are good systems it just depends on what you want. I have seen some people run something like a 125hp shot of NOS on a Maxima (NOSxima ring a bell to anyone?) but a would refrain from doing this. A safe shot would be around 50-75hp and I think that you could go to the extremes with a nothing more than 100. The guys with the 125hp shot were trying to blow up the Maxima b/c it was a rental but it kept together with the 125hp shot. How long it could sustain such hp increases, who knows. Generally NOS, ZEX, and Venom have good NOS kits. (<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jgadlage/links.html">www.geocities.com/jgadlage/links.html</A>). Kits range from around $450-600 and bottles are usually included in the kits. It is the refills that might get expensive after a while. Still a good cheap "bang for the buck" modification that gives that extra push when needed. Install cost can be free if you decide to do it with some friends but could cost anywhere from $200-400 depending on the shop doing the install.

I am always glad to lend a hand.

[Edited by jgadlage on 08-26-2000 at 04:14 AM]
Old 08-26-2000, 03:37 AM

Answers (Continued)

* It isn't that bad installing the CAI, but it will take a bit of cutting. You will have to cut a 3" hole in your drivers side front fenderwell, but fear not you will not be hurting the structural integrity of your Maxima. The hole will not be visible to the unsuspecting eye. I think that they usually go for around $225 but this is just a guess. You do not really have to watch out for big puddles. The only thing you have to worry about is really deep (middle of your door level) standing water. Taking into consideration that you don't plan on using your Maxima as a pontoon boat anytime soon, water will not be a problem. Your fenderlining will keep all water from getting into your filter. Now if your fenderlining is removed, sucking water into the intake will be of great concern.

Ok, I'll just get the JWT POP charger like my Z and get the CAI upgrade later. That's cool. BTW, do you guys have a write-up on the install? On the Z it was cake. DIY.

NOS
Cool, I'll get the JWT ECU, the NOS kit (75hp if the tranny is in good shape, 50hp if it's a little old). Shouldn't wear down the life of the engine, I hope.

Old 08-26-2000, 07:01 AM

"Ok, I'll just get the JWT POP charger like my Z and get the CAI upgrade later. That's cool. BTW, do you guys have a write-up on the install? On the Z it was cake. DIY."

Its even easier on the Max(No center panel removal!). Just yank the stock airbox up to the specifieds spot. Place the PoP ring and filter on, attach the metal braket(metal bar), season to taste. You're done. Easy, eh?

"Cool, I'll get the JWT ECU, the NOS kit (75hp if the tranny is in good shape, 50hp if it's a little old). Shouldn't wear down the life of the engine, I hope."

Sounds like a plan to me.. There is a 5 spd VE in the 13s with a few mods and some NOS..
Old 08-27-2000, 12:16 PM

by the way...

h&r doesn't make springs for maximas anymore.