3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Maxima got HURT

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 PM

Maxima got HURT

Ok, so I was driving behind my friend on my way home (speed limit too!) when all the sudden this old guy pulls out infront of us. My friend, in his 2001 Mustang had anti-lock brakes so he stopped quickly and I was left with locked up wheels. Tried to go to the right to avoid him as much as possible but ended up hitting the curb, bouncing off the curb, while scrapping a 4' boulder right above the curb (figure its the damnest place to put a large boulder...dumbass landscapers) and hit my friends car. Fenders are torn up, all 4 doors are torn up, and the left front wheel driveshaft/steering colum appears to be broken with the right driveshaft broken on the right wheel.

My friends car? Well a few scrapes on the fender and bumper....nothing some polish and elbow greace couldn't fix.

Basically my car can not even be pushed. It is at the shop right now being inspected to see the extent of the damamges....

My poor baby. We drove my friend's Mustang back to his place and he drove me home (thing ran fine) while we laughed about the whole situation. Lots of good laughs; even so, my poor baby

So now I have work that is 30 miles away tomorrow and no way to get there. Can not rent a car seeing as I am under 25, am flat broke, and the family has no spare cars.

No pictures atm.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:35 PM
mod or sell?

oh well another 3rd gen gone. :rip:
Old 03-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear that. All 3rd gen fans feel your pain.

Time for a 5th gen?? (my personal favorite next to the 3rd gen ).
Old 03-28-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by crabapple
Sorry to hear that. All 3rd gen fans feel your pain.

Time for a 5th gen?? (my personal favorite next to the 3rd gen ).

I wish...my wallet is really hurting right now. Gotta weight the options between just getting it in running condition for work, or using savings bonds for a new car (this time with anti-lock breaks!!!!).
Old 03-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Wolf-Strong
I wish...my wallet is really hurting right now. Gotta weight the options between just getting it in running condition for work, or using savings bonds for a new car (this time with anti-lock breaks!!!!).
just get an ABS-equipped 3rd gen!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
just get an ABS-equipped 3rd gen!
Very true! I am definatly concidering this or a BMW...again this all depends on the repairable condition of the car.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:25 PM

Was it raining out? Abs actually increases the stopping distance.

ibdebateaboutbrakes
Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Josh
Was it raining out? Abs actually increases the stopping distance.

ibdebateaboutbrakes

While true, if you lock up the brakes you're stopping distance is gonna be farther which is what he said he did.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:36 PM
Way out West

I was going to tell you that mine is for sale, but it doesn't have ABS.

Sorry to hear about your car.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Sorry to hear that. Stupid old farts. God help me if I ever get like that. Did he even stop? If not, I hope you got his plate #
Old 03-28-2007, 07:03 PM
STFU n00b!

oh man.. sorry to see it happen.

unfortunately, I bet it's going to be totalled. the cost of repairing just two doors is enough to total the car... let alone four doors, two fenders, AND suspension.

depending on how much work you wnat to do yourself, you can get it in running condition (put junkyard/parts store axles on it, make sure it's got headlights that point forward, and leave the cosmetics for later) so you can get to work until you can figure out what to do with the car.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:08 PM

Ok, so I was driving behind my friend on my way home (speed limit too!) when all the sudden this old guy pulls out infront of us. My friend, in his 2001 Mustang had anti-lock brakes so he stopped quickly and I was left with locked up wheels. Tried to go to the right to avoid him as much as possible but ended up hitting the curb, bouncing off the curb, while scrapping a 4' boulder right above the curb (figure its the damnest place to put a large boulder...dumbass landscapers) and hit my friends car. Fenders are torn up, all 4 doors are torn up, and the left front wheel driveshaft/steering colum appears to be broken with the right driveshaft broken on the right wheel.

My friends car? Well a few scrapes on the fender and bumper....nothing some polish and elbow greace couldn't fix.

Basically my car can not even be pushed. It is at the shop right now being inspected to see the extent of the damamges....

My poor baby. We drove my friend's Mustang back to his place and he drove me home (thing ran fine) while we laughed about the whole situation. Lots of good laughs; even so, my poor baby

So now I have work that is 30 miles away tomorrow and no way to get there. Can not rent a car seeing as I am under 25, am flat broke, and the family has no spare cars.

No pictures atm.

Cars are replaceable items so dont sweat it bro. The MOST important thing is no one was hurt.

Things always have a way or working themselves out, behind that dark cloud is a silver lining.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gunther
While true, if you lock up the brakes you're stopping distance is gonna be farther which is what he said he did.
Yep, but that is why you brake differently without abs, it always comes down to coulda, shoulda, woulda.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:44 PM

Man, that really sucks to hear. Non-ABS got the best of my car at one point when my mom owned it. Some kid in a honda was trying to make a left at a stop, but was at a blind stop, and some truck was blocking him from my mom's view, and by the time she noticed, her tires were locked up, and his axle was bent out of shape. Luckily, she's in perfect now for me to drive. Hope things turn out for the best, and always be thankful that no one got hurt.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:58 PM
kthxbye2u

poor 3rd gen
i hope its not FUBAR... although it really sounds like it is
sorry

hey... whats up with the landscaper comment? was it cocina rock?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:08 PM

Thats the purpose of the them boulders in front of peoples houses to stop the cars from going on there property.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by JRS89MAX
Thats the purpose of the them boulders in front of peoples houses to stop the cars from going on there property.
True but there is about 40 feet of sidewalk/grass from curb to sidewalk my car never went over the curb. The boulder was LITERALLY right over the curb. Weather was sky blue and a very nice day.

Originally Posted by Brudda Bob
Cars are replaceable items so dont sweat it bro. The MOST important thing is no one was hurt.

Things always have a way or working themselves out, behind that dark cloud is a silver lining.

Good luck.
Very true. I think I am going to use this opportunity to replace it with a manual (ABS!) Maxima or get an e34 BMW...both of which I have been drueling over for awhile now.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Alex_V

Dont get a bmw if your poor. They will nickle and dime you to death if you
can repair it your self and knock you out cold if you hire some one else....I should know I work on my aunts old E30.

That sucks tho. I remember when I crashed my maxima. ABS would have saved it .

~Alex

Old 03-28-2007, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Dont get a bmw if your poor. They will nickle and dime you to death if you
can repair it your self and knock you out cold if you hire some one else....I should know I work on my aunts old E30.

That sucks tho. I remember when I crashed my maxima. ABS would have saved it .

~Alex
Actually e34 BMWs are relatively easy to maintain concidering you do the work yourself. ~$1000/year at most, which for me, is nothing.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Reppin Nebraska by myself

Ouch, sorry to here it go down like that. People these days are EXTREMELY inconsiderate when it comes to driving. I ride a motorcycle every chance I get and here in Omaha, NE I have been pushed off the rode 3 times in 2 years. The nice thing about that is that before I get pushed of the rode I can usually land a foot in some big suv's door. It suck that people dont watch what they are doin!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:06 PM

I had a situation where i did have to test my abs (toll booth, so not that bad at all). was crusing at about 75 until like 300 ft before a toll booth (should've been paying attention i guess). i hit the brakes and the abs came on. at that time i prob had some generic brakes.

i switched to something nicer (bendix) when a pair of them wore out and decided to change them all. it made a huge difference next time i tried out my brakes. i was about to miss this store i was driving to (another non-car threatening situation) going at about 60-65 mph. i slammed on my brakes, no abs, and stopped enough to turn off into the store. i think i only had 140 ft or so but more than enough for me to stop.

it only costs like 40 bucks extra for both sets of pads (over the generic kind from autozone or strauss) but well worth it when u need to shave 10 or 20 ft in ur stopping distance. also its prob more important (after reading this post) for ppl who dont have abs to invest in better brake pads.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:24 PM

You have insurance, and the old man was in the wrong, I see some $$$ coming your way. Just turn around and buy yourself another SE.
Good Luck.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Boomer Sooner

ouch - totalled!

only can prove the other guys fault if he stayed around and there were impacts, btwn the front two vehicles (hopefully the police were called and got the first car's information and wrote him a ticket for failure to yield right of way and noted you performed no improper action) - will be a stretch for your insurance to prove the old man was 100% at fault for the accident. You will probably be a % at fault for improper evasive action... (depending on the insurance laws in your state)
Old 04-03-2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by evildoughboi
I had a situation where i did have to test my abs (toll booth, so not that bad at all). was crusing at about 75 until like 300 ft before a toll booth (should've been paying attention i guess). i hit the brakes and the abs came on. at that time i prob had some generic brakes.

i switched to something nicer (bendix) when a pair of them wore out and decided to change them all. it made a huge difference next time i tried out my brakes. i was about to miss this store i was driving to (another non-car threatening situation) going at about 60-65 mph. i slammed on my brakes, no abs, and stopped enough to turn off into the store. i think i only had 140 ft or so but more than enough for me to stop.

it only costs like 40 bucks extra for both sets of pads (over the generic kind from autozone or strauss) but well worth it when u need to shave 10 or 20 ft in ur stopping distance. also its prob more important (after reading this post) for ppl who dont have abs to invest in better brake pads.
Very true, and after this incident, it has convinced me to do just that.

Here are some pictures of the damage that was done cosmetically. Mechanically, the axes are most likely shot; tie rod bent and broken apart, and highly likely that the whole power steering system is thrashed. Transmission will engage, but it won't move.

FYI: that is a CHO (Pearl white) paint (3 stage) so it is freakin expensive to repaint....it's definatly being totaled lol!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

FYI: that is a CHO (Pearl white) paint (3 stage) so it is freakin expensive to repaint....it's definatly being totaled lol!
wow, i'm so sorry that had to happen to your previously-wonderful Maxipad. what're you going to do with it now? partout? if you do i see something I want, but it's always sad to see a 3rd gen sing its swansong
Old 04-03-2007, 06:51 PM

wow, i'm so sorry that had to happen to your previously-wonderful Maxipad. what're you going to do with it now? partout? if you do i see something I want, but it's always sad to see a 3rd gen sing its swansong
I will take a wild guess on what you want....

The Chromed wheels
Old 04-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I will take a wild guess on what you want....

The Chromed wheels
was that serious or sarcasm? either way, no, that's not the thing i'm a-looking for.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:13 PM

was that serious or sarcasm? either way, no, that's not the thing i'm a-looking for.
Hey I said it was a wild guess didn't I

Just waiting to hear back from the insurance company still. They are trying to get a hold of the elderly guy and will get back to me after that, so by Friday hopefully (and give me a rental for the weekend I hope).

I'm keeping a positive outlook on this whole situation is all I will say
Old 04-03-2007, 11:12 PM

That sucks, it must be a bad week for Maximas. I got mine out of the shop, what, three weeks ago. While driving home Monday, some stupid broad pulled out of a parking lot right into my front fender. I swerved and braked to miss her and she didn't even slow down. She caught me right behind the corner light, smashed the light, scratched the BRAND NEW bumper, destroyed the BRAND NEW fender, hit the wheel and bent the BRAND NEW control arm.

Luckily she has insurance so I don't have to report to mine. She got ticketed so there will be no debate. I was only going about 15 mph.

I figure I was looking for a new paint job so maybe I can work a deal with the body shop to paint the whole car for a few hundred more. At least she didn't hit the rear.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by jonmandude
That sucks, it must be a bad week for Maximas.
i came this close -->| |<-- to hitting a CRV today. my brakes are apparently $.02 specials from AutoZone, and when I push down they grind and crap but don't actually make me feel in-control. i have a mile of pad left but a gallon of clean water is worth an ocean of dirty water, so to speak. so i think I may help preserve the fate of my car by making it stop better.

Originally Posted by jonmandude
At least she didn't hit the rear.
i know right...
Old 04-04-2007, 04:30 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Dude I'm in a similar situation here except that the guy that hit me didnt fully make it out of the sidestreet he was coming out of so he just banged up both of my front and rear passenger doors like yours. Looks like I got 1100-1800 coming my way (and no my car did not get totalled) as cops said it was his fault and well he ran a stop while I was on main street.

As for your situation I personally dont think it was because you did not have ABS. You can have the most expensive best pads, ABS, super fast reflexes but without good tires its all useless. How much tread do you have left on your tires? on a dry sunny day with 3-4 seconds distance you should not have had problems braking, were you up your friend's ***?. I hope you guys got the farts plates and made a police report.

BTW if you need parts to fix your max up (same color and all) I can get them at a nice price just PM me if you're interested.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Dude I'm in a similar situation here except that the guy that hit me didnt fully make it out of the sidestreet he was coming out of so he just banged up both of my front and rear passenger doors like yours. Looks like I got 1100-1800 coming my way (and no my car did not get totalled) as cops said it was his fault and well he ran a stop while I was on main street.

As for your situation I personally dont think it was because you did not have ABS. You can have the most expensive best pads, ABS, super fast reflexes but without good tires its all useless. How much tread do you have left on your tires? on a dry sunny day with 3-4 seconds distance you should not have had problems braking, were you up your friend's ***?. I hope you guys got the farts plates and made a police report.

BTW if you need parts to fix your max up (same color and all) I can get them at a nice price just PM me if you're interested.
I was in the right lane, my friend was in the left. The guy darted accross 2 lanes of traffic, pass the center merge lane, and into my friends lane (actually RIGHT at my friend) so he had to go into my lane to avoid an accident. The old guy then continued to merge into MY lane (as well as the lane my friend is in now) which caused my friend to slam on his brakes (he has abs).

At this point, my friend went from 3-4 car lengths infront of me on the lane next to me to 1-2 car lengths infront of me before he even slammed on his brakes (aka: caused AbS to kick in). This is what forced me to the bike lane and did the damage.

Now take all that into account and compress it into a fraction of a second (less than 1!). If I had anti-lock brakes and better pads would of been able to stop on time and not of locked up my tires causing me to brake WAY later than I should of. I got ceremetric pads I believe from when a brake shop replace them (no idea what brand, but I know how to replace my brakes now so it's GOOD quality pads next time!).

2 more days until I hear from the insurance company!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Boomer Sooner

your insurance or his?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by polarb68111
Ouch, sorry to here it go down like that. People these days are EXTREMELY inconsiderate when it comes to driving. I ride a motorcycle every chance I get and here in Omaha, NE I have been pushed off the rode 3 times in 2 years. The nice thing about that is that before I get pushed of the rode I can usually land a foot in some big suv's door. It suck that people dont watch what they are doin!
If I were you, I ride with a key in my hand. (Keyed )

For your maxima damage.
"Stupid old man ... You should be locked up. There ought to be a law!!!"
-The "Whining man from Guess whose coming to dinner

Yo should here the farmer's market incident in Santa monica, Cali
Old 04-04-2007, 05:39 PM

If I was in that situation and I'm not in the wrong, I'll let the man hit me. Then I sue him for his car (value) if my damage is more than $2000.

Remember that there is more friction coming to a non skid stop. I forgot the value but I believe it's 75 percent less. Which means 75 percent more force to stop it..
Old 04-04-2007, 07:28 PM
I can has?

I would be PISSED... agh, I got in an accident recently too in my GXE where that thing almost kind of happened, but I did get $1700 Out of it.

I was in the left hand lane going around a left handed turn, and some ******* in a GMC Work Pickup towing a trailer is next to me. So going around the curve he decides he wants into my lane. Well, as he starts switching over, the back of his pickup is about 3 feet in front of my car, so that's um... about 20 feet of trailer right next to me. I honk and everything and he still comes over so I wedge myself into the curb and slam on the brakes, he still gouges all down the front pass fender of my GXE and I slam into the curb thinking I could have destroyed a control arm/ tire/rim. Well on top of it he didn't ever STOP... so I'm still going 50+ in my damaged car to keep up with him to flag him over... finally stops about a mile down and acts like he doesn't know what happened.

I was effing LIVID. Hah, just thought I'd share, some people just should NOT be on the road. Hopefully you get enough to compensate though... good luck.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:43 PM

Wow, your accident is almost the exact same as the one I got into in early 2000. Same car, same color, same damage, same collision. Hit a boulder on the side of a cliff. Only difference is that I felt luck the boulder was there.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Here dude, this is the damage that was done to my baby but it'll be fixed soon, REAL SOON maybe within 8 hours

Old 04-07-2007, 08:15 AM

I think brake pads are a good investment, if they save you from an accident once they have paid for themselves. Twice, three times, all the better. Don't forget pads are only as good as the fluid compressing them.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:44 AM

hawks all the way

Quick Reply: Maxima got HURT