3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

new plugs causing high RPM across the board?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

new plugs causing high RPM across the board?

I switched from Bosch Platinums back to NGK V-power (all .042) like I ought to have been using all along. Only 4000 miles if that on the Bosches, but they stole power so I decided they had to go. However, my car (1990 GXE, VG30E) used to idle 750 steady, and after the plugs it idles 900 with a few dips and jumps every now and then. The car idles up to 1700 during the first 10 seconds after start, a 200rpm increase and even when in gear and moving 45mph, RPM seems higher than usual.

Mainly I want to know how come my at-speed RPM seems higher. It seems to me that no matter what the plugs were, that RPM/MPH should be uhchanged by anything in the engine. So is the idle an a dirty TB and dirty/maladjusted IACV thing, and the tranny (a/t) causing the high operating RPM by maybe not locking up in 4th or what? I used to run 1800-1900 @45mph in 4th now i'm almost always over 2k unless I'm coasting.

I'm going to clean TB and IACV and MAF a little later, probably at Aaron's, and we'll set idle and all that stuff then.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:20 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Give that intake/iacv a good cleaning...Get 2 cans of tb cleaner...
Old 04-07-2007, 05:23 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Oh,one more thing,unplug and check every harness plug on the engine for corrosion..[green looking crap on the terminals]...
Old 04-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Oh,one more thing,unplug and check every harness plug on the engine for corrosion..[green looking crap on the terminals]...
the hard-TPS connector is quite green. the variable TPS (for the A/T) is quite.. metallic. the rest of the connectors I looked at were metallic. the PS pressure sensor is soaked in PS fluid. I haven't touched that one yet, nor have I touched a lot of the other ones. I know my 02 sensor is either unplugged or dead.

What's the connecor directly next to the VSS connector? It was disconnected when I bought the car...

either way, would that have any bearing whatsoever on the high 45mph RPM also? if the variable TPS were dirty I could understand that, since it would maybe think I was using a throttle position that didn't warrant lockup, but I'm not sure that the hard-TPS one would do the same thing preventing lockup.. but I may buy a whole new TPS anyhow. Does Brian sell TPSs?
Old 04-07-2007, 05:54 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by capedcadaver

What's the connecor directly next to the VSS connector? It was disconnected when I bought the car...
back up lights? got a pic?

either way, would that have any bearing whatsoever on the high 45mph RPM also? if the variable TPS were dirty I could understand that, since it would maybe think I was using a throttle position that didn't warrant lockup, but I'm not sure that the hard-TPS one would do the same thing preventing lockup.. but I may buy a whole new TPS anyhow. Does Brian sell TPSs?
You may be experiencing the begining of the dreaded vg auto death ritual..
Old 04-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

hold on i'mma go outside and take one

heh good thing you've got a master/slave cylinder ready for me for when and the autotranny leaves the island, if you know what i mean. the squeeeeeeeee was only the beginning. though it hasn't returned thus far. only did it that one time. God i hope it dies soon if it's gonna. That way nobody will hassle me for swapping. As of now, I will have to have the parts sent to my neighbor's house to prevent my parents from being like "um what is that big huge crate doing in our driveway... and what are you wasting your money on now?"
Old 04-07-2007, 06:16 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I will have to have the parts sent to my neighbor's house to prevent my parents from being like "um what is that big huge crate doing in our driveway... and what are you wasting your money on now?"

You can store it at my house..
Old 04-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

the blocky shaped black one under the superhuge FI harness. (backup light/etc connectors are down by the yellow "nissan" on my throttle cable) directly below the fuel line/return line. It may be the oil pressure subharness connector. It was either disconnected or dislodged from its mount, I can't remember. I know that the EGR Temp sensor is disconnected, because my engine has an EGR-BPT valve so it doesn't need one. The BPT is supposed to be for Cali-spec but my plate doesn't say mine's a Cali-spec. Maybe I have a different engine from the one my car came with. I'll look and see if my engine SN matches the SN on my plate.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

You can store it at my house..
but you already have a VE-5... whatchu want a VG tranny for?

will a dying a/t also have a higher RPM under coasting too (maybe from some oddity concerning the stator's RPM, perhaps, due to other miscues inside the tranny)
Old 04-07-2007, 06:29 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

but you already have a VE-5... whatchu want a VG tranny for?

will a dying a/t also have a higher RPM under coasting too (maybe from some oddity concerning the stator's RPM, perhaps, due to other miscues inside the tranny)
Teh wifeys may need one soon...

Send the pic to paint/red arrow the part/ctrl-w,reduce size to about 70%..
Old 04-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Send the pic to paint/red arrow the part/ctrl-w,reduce size to about 70%..
Hokay. i circled it.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Teh wifeys may need one soon...
teh wifey likes teh stickshift too? me needs more. me college student. college+stickshift=luv
Old 04-07-2007, 06:47 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

teh wifey likes teh stickshift too? me needs more. me college student. college+stickshift=luv

Yeah,she tries to steal my car sometimes..
Old 04-07-2007, 06:48 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Hokay. i circled it.

Knock sensor harness plug...
Old 04-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Knock sensor harness plug...
i actually just checked the FSM. I think maybe you are thinking on your VE unless the FSM is wrong... because the KS plug on the VG is supposed to be alllll the way over on the cyl#2 end. According to the diagram on EL178 it says it's the oil pressure subharness. umm. I'll disconnect it and check for a light though. maybe it was just unseated from the mount but still connected. either way the funky high RPM was the more important part of this post.

not trying to argue, I was just checking your result against mine.

is the o2 sensor connecter underneath the engine kinda, like, by the steering rack?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

oh, the only other thing recently changed was the fuel grade, up 2.5 points.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:51 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

i actually just checked the FSM. I think maybe you are thinking on your VE unless the FSM is wrong... because the KS plug on the VG is supposed to be alllll the way over on the cyl#2 end. According to the diagram on EL178 it says it's the oil pressure subharness. umm. I'll disconnect it and check for a light though. maybe it was just unseated from the mount but still connected. either way the funky high RPM was the more important part of this post.

not trying to argue, I was just checking your result against mine.

is the o2 sensor connecter underneath the engine kinda, like, by the steering rack?

I was just guessing at it..

IIRC,The 02 sensor plug is by the firewall on the passenger side..Just crawl under there and trace the wire to make sure..
Old 04-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i'm about to post some video links from December 2006. these are the kinds of RPM i used to run:
startup, thru gear selection
driving home some (that ratcheting sound is the sticky worm gear motor for the odometer. it wasn't counting miles whenever it was ratcheting like that. I replaced it from the cluster I got my other speedo from, and now it works.)

note that my car accelerated willingly at 1950ish RPM in 4th from 43-47, yet my car currently needs about 2100RPM to sustain 45mph. When coasting, my car in the video dropped below 1500rpm @ 45mph (manuals don't do that, I don't think) but currently I run lik 1700-1800RPM coasting @45mph.

I'm going to take more videos tomorrow morning, to verify what I just said.

the videos are uploading right now. check back for them at about 15 minutes from the posted time and at least the first one will be done
Old 04-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

the videos are uploading right now. check back for them at about 15 minutes from the posted time and at least the first one will be done
the videos are now ready to watch
Old 04-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

the videos are now ready to watch
descending and climbing a hill

40mph, 1100rpm down the hill. picked back up 40mph 1600rpm. climbed the hill in 4th gear, 2000RPM tops, holding dead-on at 35mph up the hill.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

videos from today:

trashy warm idle
high warmup idle
idle in and out of D
some driving. the 2-1 was undesired, btw.
same as the "descending and climbing a hill" from the above post.
idle is a little better, but REALLY HIGH... fully warm, in P. the big jolt is the radiator fans coming on, I think