3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

question about coils, wiring harness that clips to it broke :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:29 PM

question about coils, wiring harness that clips to it broke :(

I just changed two of my coils today, and before i even changed them. I noticed one of the clips on the wire harness that goes directly to the coil, is broken, so it wont "snap" on, it wont even slide on completely.
I tried calling nissan to ask if they can just put on a new clip, or if i need a new wire harness all together. The guy was in a hurry and didnt know anything though, no help there.
Anyone ever come across this and know if I can just replace that ONE little clip, or if i need a new wire harness.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:35 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You can cut the plug and part of the wire harness off a j-yard maxima,then cut-n-splice the good plug into your main harness wiring..
Old 04-17-2007, 03:33 PM

thought of that, just didnt want to do that. Electric cap ends wont look clean. By all means its a simple problem, im just being **** about it LOL. Under the hood of this thing is spotless! Its like the old owner (im 2nd) only drove this in the sunshine, or replaced ALOT. So i just kinda wanna keep it that way.
I could do what you're saying, if I cover it up with electric tape so its clean I guess. I just suck with wires.

But on a good note, it didnt effect it at all. Replacing those coils just (seems to have) gotten rid of the sputter once and for all. PLus its raining and soaking wet out here, still no sputter. So im happy, i was honestly just worried that broken clip would have left the sputter there.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaN00b
thought of that, just didnt want to do that. Electric cap ends wont look clean. By all means its a simple problem, im just being **** about it LOL. Under the hood of this thing is spotless! Its like the old owner (im 2nd) only drove this in the sunshine, or replaced ALOT. So i just kinda wanna keep it that way.
I could do what you're saying, if I cover it up with electric tape so its clean I guess. I just suck with wires.

But on a good note, it didnt effect it at all. Replacing those coils just (seems to have) gotten rid of the sputter once and for all. PLus its raining and soaking wet out here, still no sputter. So im happy, i was honestly just worried that broken clip would have left the sputter there.

Learn to solder then....
Old 04-17-2007, 03:59 PM

I need you guys, my brain doesnt quite function anymore I dont think. lol
That's a MUCH better idea that buying new, im just being lazy and not thinking enough.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaN00b
I need you guys, my brain doesnt quite function anymore I dont think. lol
That's a MUCH better idea that buying new, im just being lazy and not thinking enough.
I think I have a good used coil harness, I'll check.

EDIT, I do, all you need to do is cut the wire, solder, shrink wrap it, then tape it to match the rest.... Pretty frikn easy man. Make an offer if you want me to send you a portion of the harness.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:27 PM

As others have said here, learn to solder, because if you use wire nuts (electric cap ends is what you called them) I can guarantee that your car is going to stop running, sooner or later, most likely sooner, like a couple weeks after they get wet for the first time.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Tquick
As others have said here, learn to solder, because if you use wire nuts (electric cap ends is what you called them) I can guarantee that your car is going to stop running, sooner or later, most likely sooner, like a couple weeks after they get wet for the first time.
yeah, i'm amazed my corner light still works. i had to use a bunch of wirecaps and i'm worried they'll fall off and that the wire will hit the sheetmetal of the body and possibly cause problems. I need to get ahold of a soldering iron.. though i was thinking to use rubber-sheathed quick-disconnects also, but even those i'd solder onto the wire itself.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Alex_V

I just bought a 25W one from home depot for $17. A 40W (what you want) is $18. Both from weller. I have a 25,40 and 80w irons from weller and they work great.

~Alex