3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Transmission go Bye-Bye

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:41 PM

Transmission go Bye-Bye

So here's the story. Most/all of you don't know, but I no longer drive the max, it was passed on to my sister about 4 months ago when I bought a BMW 328is.

[RANT]
Now I hated passing it on to her, because it would get neglected to hell, garbage all over, shedded/ripped out hair [from brushing] ALL OVER THE SEATS, over powerful air fresheners in a car that never smelled to begin with... It was like walking into a gas chamber.

Then she did things that really pissed me off like ALWAYS disconnecting the shoulder belt to get out of the car, so eventually it looked like a piece of licorice all twisted up and whatnot. WHY WOULD YOU DISCONNECT AN AUTOMATIC SEATBELT TO GET OUT OF THE CAR??? And then you ALWAYS have to reconnect it when you get back in the car. How ghetto is that?

Also, she always pulled the parking brake up despite it being an automatic car on flat ground. Normally this wouldn't bother me too much, I know people who do this regardless, but in this case, the parking brake did not work. Like, AT ALL. It has never worked since I bought the car in 2002. There is absolutely no tension on it whatsoever, you can pull the thing up with your pinky finger, and despite me telling her this, she just ignores me and continues to pull it up. I sware to god I want to punch her sometimes.
[/RANT]

But the point of this thread is that on Wednesday night, my sister calls and says that while at a red light, and after it turned green, she tried to accelerate and the car made a BOOM sound and no longer moved. So today my parents check it out and determine that the transmission blew. They say that there was transmission fluid all over the place and they too could not get the car to move, despite the engine running fine. So yeah, that sucks.

Now the question is, why did it die so soon? Car has 150k. I always thought that the transmission would start to slip a lot before just blowing up. But it was still shifting decently at the time of it's demise. You think female driving did this? Or is it just the horrible auto trannies that these cars have?

And finally, is it even worth it to get a new tranny installed? Or to have the current one rebuilt? How much are we talking? Maybe it's time for another cheap used car?

So yeah, thanks for reading this thread. Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions are welcome! My father is asking me about transmission replacement/rebuild costs... I have no idea what to say. I don't even think it's worth it on a car with 150k?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:07 PM

if the engines good, do a 5 speed swap.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:18 PM

Sis would never drive a 5spd.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:38 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by jaguax
[RANT]
Now I hated passing it on to her, because it would get neglected to hell, garbage all over, shedded/ripped out hair [from brushing] ALL OVER THE SEATS, over powerful air fresheners in a car that never smelled to begin with... It was like walking into a gas chamber.

Then she did things that really pissed me off like ALWAYS disconnecting the shoulder belt to get out of the car, so eventually it looked like a piece of licorice all twisted up and whatnot. WHY WOULD YOU DISCONNECT AN AUTOMATIC SEATBELT TO GET OUT OF THE CAR??? And then you ALWAYS have to reconnect it when you get back in the car. How ghetto is that?

Also, she always pulled the parking brake up despite it being an automatic car on flat ground. Normally this wouldn't bother me too much, I know people who do this regardless, but in this case, the parking brake did not work. Like, AT ALL. It has never worked since I bought the car in 2002. There is absolutely no tension on it whatsoever, you can pull the thing up with your pinky finger, and despite me telling her this, she just ignores me and continues to pull it up. I sware to god I want to punch her sometimes.
[/RANT]
Greatness

Anywho, rebuilt auto transmissions are crapshoots.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:03 PM

only 150k on it and you're worried about being worth it? i guess my truck wasn't worth a rebuilt transmission since the chassis has over 400k miles on it, the motor and trans over 300k atleast..

A rebuild on a maxima auto will be quite expensive to have it last more than about 30k..in the neighborhood of $1400 for one with a 100k warranty around here, $600 for a standard rebuild w/ no warranty..you could try a known good used auto and gamble on it, or do the 5 spd swap and say "drive it or walk"..i'd do the latter myself.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine blew w/o warning at 128K...
Old 05-18-2007, 11:55 PM

sounds like stripped torque converter to me
except when my old 92 gxe and my friends 90 stanza had it happen
it was during a downshift and no trans fluid leaked
although your car could have been leaking before
and or they just noticed now because its been chillin in one spot
i knew it was the conveter because it would not engage in any gear
and when i had someone turn off the motor while i listened anround the bellhousing i could hear the converter still spin for 2-3 seconds after the motor stopped since it was broken
a new one was like 180 and i got to learn how to remove and re install a transmission
Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Alex_V

My stripped TC didn't leak fluid. It just made no noises and didn't move. But I got it broken.

The problem is these trannys are made for a 4cyl...(actaully same tranny as your friends stanza!)..not VG torque! So they are liable to blow at any time if not maintained and cooled well.

~Alex