3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Oil in #6 spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oil in #6 spark plug

other than BAD. Whats this mean?

I dont LIKE IT, and I need to know why, and/or get some help with a top end shopping list.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:21 PM
mod or sell?

spark plug tube seal is leaking.
it's part of the valve cover gasket.
pull the plug and make sure the tip is clean, if the tip is wet, then you have bigger problems
Old 07-06-2007, 08:39 PM

Im sure its bigger problems, if my Kanik says that I need to look into a top end rebuild. Im sure it was wet, or gunky, and not leaking on the outside of the plug.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by TimberJon
Im sure its bigger problems, if my Kanik says that I need to look into a top end rebuild. Im sure it was wet, or gunky, and not leaking on the outside of the plug.
well it takes like 2 minutes to check, might as well see before you go rebuilding your top end...
Old 07-07-2007, 10:13 PM

I agree. Mechanics often say things that aren't necessarily true, it is often how they make money. Pull the plug out, and have a look at it yourself, then you will KNOW what the problem is.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
spark plug tube seal is leaking.
it's part of the valve cover gasket.
pull the plug and make sure the tip is clean, if the tip is wet, then you have bigger problems

So, how much would "bigger problems" commonly cost of if labor was free?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:59 PM

I know how normal mechanics are, but this Kanik is my best friend. He didnt tell me whether it was dry oil or wet. I will find out, but he lives 80 miles away from me. So he has my car at the moment. I trust what he says, but sometimes have my own reservations, as some of his experience is often on older vehicles, and he doesnt have the resource of the internet or the ORG. Thats why I so often consult with the pros here. It helps me decide if our plans are good or not. He wont work on the car unless he has the go ahead from me, and wardroom privilege warrants that I can tell the guy where he is wrong and suggest a different course of action.

Yea as far as if its just the valve guides, or something upper-end. If it is a "bigger problem" then whats my shopping list going to include?

I got a copy of the 2007 buyers guide, forget who made the mag, with all the performance-type parts in it. If I could get a good list of things I should be replacing during a rebuild, then I can generate lists of companies by the parts they offer, then start asking them if they make parts for my engine type.

I might also need a reputable import rebuilder in So-Cal. Shouldnt be a problem there I hope..
Old 07-07-2007, 11:09 PM

And Tquick, as I stated, my Kanik doesnt make any money off of me. He's free. So lying to me about a spark plug wouldnt do anything for him except get him more work to do.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:12 AM

If there is indeed oil inside the cylinder, as opposed to oil on the outside of the plug, you really can't know for sure what the problem is, or how much it will cost to repair without doing some testing, and perhaps ripping things apart. There are a number of ways that oil can get into a cylinder, and it could be as simple as a bad gasket, or as complicated as a bad block, or head.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:33 AM

Oil inside the cylinder will usually just burn up, so the end of the spark plug would be dirty but probably not wet. If there is smoke in the exhaust, then its burning oil inside the cylinder and the issue is more serious, because its either getting past piston rings or valve seals.

If its on top of the spark plug, the only place for the oil to come from is the valve cover gasket, just as internetautomar said. #6 is on the radiator side, so thats a quick gasket replacement because the plenum can stay in place.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:00 PM

All very good info, and I thank you all. I do not think my car is smoking out the exhaust, so hopefully that eliminates the worst of it. Still though, something needs to be replaced. Looking through my chiltons, I cant really find good visuals of the valves and things under the covers. I know what it looks like, but as far as gasket details I cant picture that. Im not sure if this book is good for my year car. It says 85-92. and mine is a 93. But it does show my engine type inside.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:09 PM

Yea I dont have a problem getting a loan to rebuild my engine. But I would want to do it right the first time, and take no chances. If I can find a good rebuilder, then I can just pnp at home. Exhaust will need to be fixed.
Should I bore to 3.2 or more while Im at it?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Personally,i don't think your car needs it's engine rebuilt,it's just a bad valve cover gasket(very common issue on the ve engine)..If you had oil all over your spark plug ends,the car would have a VERY NOTICABLE dead miss,since you haven't mentioned this condition,i am going with the gasket causing the oil on the plugs...Also it is very easy to mistake this particular issue to be oil fouled plugs,because when you unscrew the plug,the oil pooled up around spark plug hole usually ends up all over the electrode end of the plug when removing it from the cylinder hole.(gravity at work here.)

Go to your local dealership,tell them you have a 93 maxima with a ve30de engine that needs a valve cover gasket(probably around $30)

If it's the front gasket,super easy fix(your "kanik" should have it replaced in 20 minutes and out the door)The rear will require removing the intake plenum,if so you will also need an intake plenum gasket,also available at your local dealership(around $15)