3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

koni struts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:33 PM

koni struts...

just got some like new koni struts from a guy parting his max out. was looking at them and they don't seem like normal struts. the cylinder falls into the chamber. is that normal? i been told they are dampeners or whatever. how can i check if these are still good? pulling the cylinder(shiny silver part whatever its called) all the way out then tryin to thrust it back in real fast it has resistance... i guess thats the dampenin effect and they are still good struts? thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:52 PM

throw them on the car and c how it rides. if its like your driving down a mountain theyre not good
Old 07-07-2007, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by JakeDilingo
just got some like new koni struts from a guy parting his max out. was looking at them and they don't seem like normal struts. the cylinder falls into the chamber. is that normal? i been told they are dampeners or whatever. how can i check if these are still good? pulling the cylinder(shiny silver part whatever its called) all the way out then tryin to thrust it back in real fast it has resistance... i guess thats the dampenin effect and they are still good struts? thanks in advance.
That's how they are. They're inserts for the stock struts. The front struts need to have their tops cut and the inserts bolted in from underneath to remain secure whilst the rears are also inserts and then sealed in with the threaded gland up top. This is normal.

As for the pulling out of the piston and then pushing it in, yes there should be resistance because they're oil filled, not gas. That said though, once pushed in, you'll notice the piston is very slow to rise back out of the shock. That's because they've been designed to control the rebound stroke (i.e. the coming out part) so that if you hit a dip in the road, it will ensure the car stays lower to the road for longer to ensure it maintains good roadholding.

They're fine dude, I speak from experience. Before you install them, I would adjust them so that the fronts are halfway through their full turn cycle (I think it's about 2 turns if I remember correctly as I installed mine about 7 years ago) and the rears should have 3 turns to add some added stiffness which is where the front wheel drives need it most. I just can't remember for the life of me if it was clockwise or anti-clockwise so look up Koni's site for more info on that. You'll love 'em though ... they'll give your car some serious handling with the right springs (i.e. Eibach's). If I can make mine oversteer around a 55km/h rated bend at 150km/h without pulling up a handbrake (at that speed, why would you?) or jerking the steering wheel with absolute S#@T rubber, the benefits are clearly there.

Enjoy!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Boomer Sooner

yeah - what he said
Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Konis > whatever you have now
Old 07-11-2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Konis > whatever you have now
ya i got some cheap *** **** on atm, i forget what they are even called, 1 more week and im installin the konis on suspension technique springs i already have on
Old 07-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

koni's are great I love them.