3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Thinking of converting to SE gauge cluster, had a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:01 PM

Thinking of converting to SE gauge cluster, had a few questions...

Like the title says, I was thinking about converting my GXE gauge cluster to the SE style white faced gauges. My questions are:

1.) Will the 145 MPH speedometer from a VE work or will only an 89-91 work?

2.) Is there any modifications that need to be made for it to work properly (I don't see why but I thought I'd ask just in case)?

3.) Does anyone have a nice high quality picture of their SE gauges lit up at night? I was wondering if they light up in green like my GXE's or not.

4.) Can someone verify this: If I converted, I would need a gauge cluster with mileage close to how many miles my car has.

5.) I should probably post this in the "for sale/wanted" thread, but does anybody have one for sale with about 139,000 miles?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

100% compatible. just open the thing up, and trade odometers. good to go.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Maxima9750
Like the title says, I was thinking about converting my GXE gauge cluster to the SE style white faced gauges. My questions are:

2.) Is there any modifications that need to be made for it to work properly (I don't see why but I thought I'd ask just in case)?

3.) Does anyone have a nice high quality picture of their SE gauges lit up at night? I was wondering if they light up in green like my GXE's or not.

4.) Can someone verify this: If I converted, I would need a gauge cluster with mileage close to how many miles my car has.

5.) I should probably post this in the "for sale/wanted" thread, but does anybody have one for sale with about 139,000 miles?

Thanks in advance.

Hey its all direct swap, I did it to my car about 1 year ago. As a matter of fact, I shot a video yesteday of how to remove the cluster since I had to check something out behind the cluster. Its not a very good video cuz its 10 min long but I'd be able to upload if anyone wants to see how to remove gauge cluster and put LEDs in.

Dude if you want some help you can stop by sometime...I live no more than 30 minutes away from Orland Park. It's my day off tomorrow and I might be going to the JY.PM me If you're interested.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So you CAN keep the mileage accurate...I disassembled one about a year ago and tried to set the odometer...didn't go that well.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:52 PM

Hey its all direct swap, I did it to my car about 1 year ago. As a matter of fact, I shot a video yesteday of how to remove the cluster since I had to check something out behind the cluster. Its not a very good video cuz its 10 min long but I'd be able to upload if anyone wants to see how to remove gauge cluster and put LEDs in.

Dude if you want some help you can stop by sometime...I live no more than 30 minutes away from Orland Park. It's my day off tomorrow and I might be going to the JY.PM me If you're interested.
I just recived my blue LED dash lights from superbrightleds.com, id be interested in seeing that video.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:54 PM

ColombianMax, you got PM.

Can somebody upload a picture of their SE gauges lit up at night? I'm curious to see how they look compared to my GXE.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:15 PM

hey i'd like to see that vid...
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 PM

|
/\
Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 PM

ok guys I just got a chance to get things transfered from the digicam onto PC..I'm sure its gonna be a big file so gimmie some time. Also dont want anyone to get over hyped as this video is not done with much detail as I was trying to finish fast.

I'll look for the dash pics as well for those that requested it

Old 07-10-2007, 11:53 PM

I swapped out the actual gauge assemblies from one cluster to another. I did this because The new SE cluster had an airbag light and no O/D light where the rest of the warning lights are. It is by the gas and temp gauge. When I get my LEDS in I am going to take it out and replace the bulbs. Right now it is green from the old GXE gauges. BTW if you are swapping you might want to cover the OD Light from the inside. At night on the SE gauges it lights up with everything else. Everyone always looks over and asks why I am driving with my O/D off.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:28 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by maxitech
So you CAN keep the mileage accurate...I disassembled one about a year ago and tried to set the odometer...didn't go that well.
yeah the odometers are swappable. take out the fuel/temp gauge, unscrew the odometer from the housing and disconnect the wire from the speedo circuit board.

look at this: http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...4&postcount=13
that's for how to remove the odometer assembly. ignore the motor nonsense since that's not what you're doing. leave the motor attached to the odometer assembly.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have an extra SE cluster from a 90 auto. The problem is though that the speedo was jumping all over. Im sure there is a fix or you can probably swap the guts from one to the other. It is also missing the odometer because I actually took it out and put it into the new one. Easy peasy. Let me know if you want it. Gimme $40 shipped to you? Oops, I just saw that you have a 93. My speedo only goes to 125. My bad. Anyone want it? But anyways you can easily swap the odo from one to the other.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 AM

Well heres the video...had to edit to make under 100mb or less to be able to upload it,

Old 07-11-2007, 11:58 AM

ColombianMax, thanks for uploading that video and the picture of your gauges. I've taken my dash apart before so I know what to do to remove the gauges. Does anybody have a picture of the SE gauges lit up at night without installing LEDs. I like ColombianMax's but I want to see if I prefer the stock lighting better. Also, I hope they look better than mine:

Old 07-11-2007, 12:11 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Best i have atm..Sorry it is a little grainy..

Old 07-11-2007, 04:05 PM

hey is that what stock bulbs look like in the SE gauge cluster?? i like lol

SE gauges also look really nice with the green bulbs off GXE gauges, I had it like that for a good while and loved it. I'll look for the pics when I get a chance
Old 07-11-2007, 05:06 PM

Does the picture give them that "purple" color or are they really like that? I think that LEDs are a must. ColombianMax, I like your idea of putting in the green bulbs off of a GXE. Do you just pop them in or is there some soldering required?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:18 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Does the picture give them that "purple" color or are they really like that? I think that LEDs are a must. ColombianMax, I like your idea of putting in the green bulbs off of a GXE in. Do you just pop them in or is there some soldering required?

Actually,the lights are clear and not as bright as the picture shows,i'lll try messing with the settings on my camera tonight for a better pic..
Old 07-11-2007, 07:58 PM

what size leds do u buy for the gauges and which are the brightest?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 PM

superbrightleds.com and look for bulb 194 make sure its the single wedge LED it has less cold spots
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 PM

them 194 6-led bulbs are no good
Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 PM

nope, i got one in as a replacement for a burn single wedge and I got a giant cold spot

http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html
Old 07-11-2007, 09:41 PM

did u see those WLED-WHP Pure White High Power
12 VDC Wedge Base bulb (194/168 type)
With High Power Pure White LED
Our brightest bulb of this type - Polarized bulb
$ 4.95
Old 07-12-2007, 09:25 AM

I just tried to install my Blue LED's I got from superbrightleds.com and they were too big cause they pushed up against the gauges and they were bright in some spots and really dark in others so I just took off the green covers on the original bulbs and used them, they look pretty cool. I used the blue led's on the door courtesy lights, looks sweet now if they could be with the flick of a switch that would be cool.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:01 AM

which ones did u buy maxman? did u buy the single led wedge base bulb
Old 07-12-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by deuce3333
which ones did u buy maxman? did u buy the single led wedge base bulb
T13 wedge base
Old 07-12-2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks in advance.
1. Both will work, i had the 125 GXE and converted to the 145 SE white face gauges.

2. No modifications needed.

3. already provided by other member, and no they don't light up in green. they light up in white with a hint of blue in it from factory.

4. you can just swap the odometer from each one or just swap gauge faces which is what i did since i took the gauge faces out the junkyard and not the whole cluster.

5. I have a spare one as well from a 91 SE 5-speed but im holding it for a freind who wants it. sorry man.

btw: once you go from the 125mph GXE gauge to the 145mph SE gauges, you will not need to calibrate the needles since it will still be accurate. just do the swap and your done.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
1. Both will work, i had the 125 GXE and converted to the 145 SE white face gauges.

2. No modifications needed.

3. already provided by other member, and no they don't light up in green. they light up in white with a hint of blue in it from factory.

4. you can just swap the odometer from each one or just swap gauge faces which is what i did since i took the gauge faces out the junkyard and not the whole cluster.

5. I have a spare one as well from a 91 SE 5-speed but im holding it for a freind who wants it. sorry man.

btw: once you go from the 125mph GXE gauge to the 145mph SE gauges, you will not need to calibrate the needles since it will still be accurate. just do the swap and your done.
Thanks for all the info. I think that I would rather have the 145 MPH VE gauges since I dislike the "warning" redline that starts about 5500 RPM on 89-91 SE models. That and I like the newer style font for all the numbers. How hard is it to swap the gauge faces? Any soldering involved or do they just unscrew?
Old 07-12-2007, 05:08 PM

John, you got PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:00 PM

I found these just looking around on ebay and these ones I guess just slip over you existing gauges, But they trun different colors. Looks pretty cool I might just get some of these, and find a set of SE gauges cause I like how it goes up to 145mph.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:28 PM

if you're gonna be just swapping the gauges from an SE to a GXE you're better off changing the entire cluster. I did this at first but had to modify some of the plastic on the cluster itself right where the gauges mount on. If you dont do it right you'll have a gap where the gauges meet the plastic and it doesnt look right. Most JYs will charge you the same whether you get the gauges alone or the entire part. I strongly recommend getting the whole thing but thats just me. Oh and no there is no soldering involved
Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by maxima_man1992
I found these just looking around on ebay and these ones I guess just slip over you existing gauges, But they trun different colors. Looks pretty cool I might just get some of these, and find a set of SE gauges cause I like how it goes up to 145mph.
Those look sick. Let me know if you get them and how they look.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
if you're gonna be just swapping the gauges from an SE to a GXE you're better off changing the entire cluster. I did this at first but had to modify some of the plastic on the cluster itself right where the gauges mount on. If you dont do it right you'll have a gap where the gauges meet the plastic and it doesnt look right. Most JYs will charge you the same whether you get the gauges alone or the entire part. I strongly recommend getting the whole thing but thats just me. Oh and no there is no soldering involved
Yea, I was probably just going to get the entire cluster. BTW, did you get my PM John?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:58 AM

yea dude just text me when you're free and we can probably meet up
Old 07-13-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
yea dude just text me when you're free and we can probably meet up
Tomorrow would be a good day for me. I'll text you sometime tomorrow afternoon.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks for all the info. I think that I would rather have the 145 MPH VE gauges since I dislike the "warning" redline that starts about 5500 RPM on 89-91 SE models. That and I like the newer style font for all the numbers. How hard is it to swap the gauge faces? Any soldering involved or do they just unscrew?
all gauge faces have screws in the back of them. no soldering needed. just unscrew and screw back on and you are done.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:26 PM

Just a quick FYI. Like I said in a earlier post i swapped the SE gauges into my GXE cluster so I would have correct mileage, working O/D light and other correct warning lights. One thing I did notice is that you cannot put the GXE gauges into the SE cluster. (not that anyone might want to) I don't remember for sure but I think the GXE tach would not fit into the SE cluster. I was just trying to save the gauges incase I needed them but trashed them.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:42 PM

you may not get the "overdrive off" light when your overdrive is off (automatic only), depending on where your gauges come from. plugging a bulb into that socket doesnt work either.

almost a necessary upgrade; the GXE gauges look so bad in hinesight.

the 92-94 SE gauges are the best, IMO. very classy, and very nice in regards to other cars manufactured at that time. I had some slipover glos that I bought for the original gauges and they were cool, but a bit ricey (wired power line to a wire that conducts when the actual pod is turned on so that i didnt have to use the switch that came with the glos).
you have to be a bit careful installing the slipovers, tho. you can break a needle or mess up the calibration of the fuel needle, etc. they were a blue/green/red type...didnt really go with a color scheme except for the clock.

given that you want the SE gauges, youll have to install the whole cluster. the old gauges are calibrated to top out at 125 (increments are different) and the SE gauges allow you to redline higher. just find someone that can direct you on how to roll back the mileage to the correct mileage.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
Just a quick FYI. Like I said in a earlier post i swapped the SE gauges into my GXE cluster so I would have correct mileage, working O/D light and other correct warning lights. One thing I did notice is that you cannot put the GXE gauges into the SE cluster. (not that anyone might want to) I don't remember for sure but I think the GXE tach would not fit into the SE cluster. I was just trying to save the gauges incase I needed them but trashed them.
Not quite impossible and no you wont trash em...check my post a few posts up...you gotta cut some of the plastic mounting points a bit but if you're gonna go through that hassle you might as well use the SE cluster since the O/D light will be covered.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:49 PM

what i was saying was that the SE gauges went into my GXE cluster with no problem. But I was trying to put my GXE gauges into the SE cluster so I could save them incase i needed them later. But since one of them would not fit I just threw them away. I still have another spare GXE cluster anyways. Not sure why anyone need to put GXE gauges in a SE cluster anyways. Anyways the SE gauges fit perfectly, I didn't have to trim anything.

Quick Reply: Thinking of converting to SE gauge cluster, had a few questions...