3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New big undertaking....R34 tails lights on my Maxima. Wish me luck......

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

New big undertaking....R34 tails lights on my Maxima. Wish me luck......

Well since I have the new job, I can finally afford to do the body work. I just got a new hood and fenders, thanks to maxpwer. And I just got my quote for the whole paint job with a little body work....just some rear wheelwell rust and some small dings. I've had these tail lights for about 9 months now, just waiting for me to break down and start cutting up the car...but fear and lack of time kept me from undertaking the project. I finally took off the taillights today, and sized up the amount of work ahead of me. Suprisingly...the lights have the EXACT same profile around the bumper and top of the quarter panel, so aside from some cutting of the trunk and panel, then welding up a piece of sheet metal that I'll fab up before hand...it shouldn't be toooo bad.

Now believe me, I understand that this is still a huge project...but nothing that can't be done in a reasonable amount of time and since I'm finally painting the car....it's now or never. These lights should be REALLY sweet when it's all done. Hopefully by the end of August I'll have the stillen kit, spoiler, BBK, paint, and these tail lights all done.... Here's to wishfull thinking!!

^^Here I was quickly checking to see if a piece of sheetmetal could be used as a backing plate to mount the light....it does, and hardly has to be altered!! Just that center cutout and some bending at the edges.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:27 PM

Here you can see how well it matches the natural lines of the body...what do you think??

Old 07-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Awsome! I'm next. Got my tails a couple months ago. Just savin' up for all the other stuff before I can get to the body. Thanks for bein' a pioneer

BTW, what spoiler are you going to use? The stock Max or R34 GT-R, or something in between?

-Mrkanda
Old 07-16-2007, 09:31 PM
kthxbye2u

those are HUGE!!! lol

good luck, you'll need it
Old 07-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Banned

nice looking im also planning on doing the same but im also getting the r34 headlights and tail lights juz like the ones traxter has the R34 4 door tails. where did you find those and how much? i luckily have connections to options auto salon in japan through the dealership i now work at, and get a discount on all parts from subaru nissan mitsubishi and other dealerships owned by the owners of my dealerships auto group and also get great prices on tires. anyways like i said where did you find those 4 door tails and how much?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:17 AM

Why are you making threads about custom jobs you haven't started on? Now someone's gonna steal your idea.. Good luck, it'll be interesting to see how it goes. When are you going to start cutting?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:17 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Originally Posted by Hectic
Now someone's gonna steal your idea.
There aren't that many "ideas" with a third gen to steal. Mostly everyone has similar stuff: E36 headlights, Stillen Kit, Etc... I think many of us have had this idea at one time or other. Like I said, I will be doing it sometime in the future. It's only the brave, like TRAXTAR, who will jump into.

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its been done by some others too, but hey good luck to you because its always fun to do a complex project and see it through to the end, hopefully you will. IMO that style of light doesnt fit the 3rd gen, but to each is own.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mrkanda
There aren't that many "ideas" with a third gen to steal. Mostly everyone has similar stuff: E36 headlights, Stillen Kit, Etc... I think many of us have had this idea at one time or other. Like I said, I will be doing it sometime in the future. It's only the brave, like TRAXTAR, who will jump into.

Good luck!
My post was meant to put some constructive pressure on him, now that he's officially announced publicly, that he is beginning this project.. No, I wasn't serious about Skyline tail lights being his idea

I wouldn't neccessarily consider cutting out some cardboard and holding a tail light up to the rear "brave". But I'm not saying he can't, or won't, actually get on with the conversion, but unveiling the project should be done afterwards or while underway imo.. I do seriously wish the best of luck, it'd be cool to see them turn out nice.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:48 AM
mod or sell?

too much work, for something that I don't think will look right in the end.
the light is too tall for our cars.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:33 PM

I have seen this on a local 3rd gen. Sexy as hell! They are not too tall, just right as a matter of fact. I woul be be prepared to wrap the rear bumper with fiberglass to make it flow into the lights.
Hope it work outs!

When I did my wrx's I made the pockets for the tail lights to sit in first. Then slowly cut away the body until the pockets fit right.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:16 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

good luck man.....personally i think it will look pretty decent in the end, and the main thing, it's pretty -darn- original.

of course it's gonna be tough, just post pics throughout the process! iBcurious to see how it works out o.O.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:29 PM

I just got the sheetmetal today from a local body supply shop. 1/8 thick should hold the light pretty sturdy. I plan on building the backing for the light, then cut a bottom piece and fit that up, to make a pocket, like goon is saying. Then begin cutting out the quarter and trunk to fit the pocket I make. I want to finish the pocket by the end of next week and then begin cutting and have that done by the following week. It really fits the car perfectly, though. You'd all be suprised how well it matches the curve of the bumper, top of the quarter, and downward curve at the back of the trunk....it even has room for the lock to still fit in its stock location.... this is something I've always wanted to do, since I have never seen it or heard of it being done before. I'd like to see pics from those of you who say they've seen it before.

I got then for $100 shipped on Ebay...straight from Japan. It was SOO cheap, I had to do it. I actually purchased them by accident. I saw the lights and they had 5 minutes left so I put in a bid, only to realize that they weren't the R33 lights I thought they were. However, when I held them up to the back of the car and saw how well they fit up, I decided I'd go for it.

Brian, are you telling me that this isn't a sexy a$$?? It's even the same color I'm painting it!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:32 PM

looks like you got a lot of work to do. post up pics of your project
Old 07-17-2007, 08:44 PM

I have the same spoiler as Bru91:

Old 07-17-2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by traxtar944
are you telling me that this isn't a sexy a$$?? It's even the same color I'm painting it!
Same color but different lights. Your tails are from the sedan.. Not a bad deal for $100 though. The sedan tails will probably be easier to fit than the coupe, because the quarters are not flared..
Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned

how long ago did you buy these tail lights cuz i see none at all when i search r34 tail lights or even skyline tail lights.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
how long ago did you buy these tail lights cuz i see none at all when i search r34 tail lights or even skyline tail lights.
It's sort of rare to see them on ebay, I used to search them all the time. Most of the time they go for over 200 shipped.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:41 AM

this is very interesting.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
Yeah I don't even see these ones if I do a search for "skyline R34". They all have the two circle lights...but none have the clear light on bottom. It's actually a split light, with half being a turn signal and half being a reverse light. Pretty cool if you ask me. The housings are the same size though...which means that the circles are much bigger on the car in the picture than they are on my lights. Try a search for "R34 skyline sedan" and you will see these lights. It's actually a TOTAL coincidence that it worked out so good, because the Maxima is a 4 door, it's only fitting that it should have 4 door skyline tails. Hell, for 5 months I didn't even know there WAS a 4 door skyline, and had no idea where these lights came from. Funny how things work out, hmm? Either way, they shouldn't look too big since the Skyline's rear end isn't much wider than our car, from what I can find.

PS) I got them on Ebay about 8 months ago. And, there is only one R34 sedan the the U.S. according to this website: Ultimate 4-Door R34 Nissan Skyline Turning Heads Across the U.S.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Same color but different lights. Your tails are from the sedan.. Not a bad deal for $100 though. The sedan tails will probably be easier to fit than the coupe, because the quarters are not flared..
They are interchangeable, from what I have found. The flair ends before the tail lights begin.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

lots of cutting and welding...good luck. take pics while you work.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
let's just have him work the tails...making a completely new panel out of fiberglass takes A LOT of work.
Wurd, I made a fiberglass lid, then redid it with metal. The glass is fine if you can get that perfect curve the 1st shot. Metal is a little easier to work for large curves.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:50 PM

The car will be debadged.....lol it's pretty easy on our cars. The center taillight and nissan emblem on the grille. That green car has pics of the R33 lights though, not the R34....it's been around FOREVER on cardomain. There have been more than a few of those conversions, so I'm going for something similar, but totally different. It should look way cleaner than the R33 lights. I'll be fiberglassing the top of the bumper, because you can see that the bottom corner of the lights is rounded off and the trunk doesn't go all the way down on the R34, so I'll try to mimic that. How well does fiberglass stick to a bumper...because I'm worried about cracking. Is there a better product I can use to build it up? I've heard about some new epoxies body shops are using to replace welding...maybe that would work.

In other news, I found a Nice 91 maxima in a junkyard. The owner said if I come down there with a sawzall I can cut myself a rear clip off the car for $35. Isn't that insane? So I'll have myself a nice practice piece so I dont' drive around with holes in my car.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:18 PM

Fiberglassing a portion of the rear bumper could be trouble. That why I went ahead and fiberglassed my whole bumper. The problem with your urethane bumper and glass is urethane expands and contracts with heats and cold. Glass doesn't. So to secure the glass to the bumper you need to lay on 2 layers, drill and countersink rivets. Grind the rivets smooth, glass one more layer on top.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:14 PM

just a thought...

urethane resin=

http://cgi.ebay.com/Casting-Resin-Ur...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 PM

That resin might be a good idea...hmmmmm
Old 07-24-2007, 11:40 PM

That resin might be a good idea...hmmmmm
Dude you better think out your entire game plan before you start this job. Cutting out some cardboard is step 0.001. If you're rushing into this job, you might end up ruining the tail end of your car. If that happens, there won't be any reason to paint it. So instead of making a date to take it into the shop and let professionals repair rust and paint the car, take your time to install the tail lights correctly, when it's ready for paint is when you should decide to take in.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:54 PM

lol, yeah goon he was saying something about a project for you but didn't get into specifics. I can't even remember what it was about. Either way...for all you folks waiting on seeing cut metal...don't expect to see me cut the a$$ off my car just yet. I have the cutouts made out of the sheetmetal, but thats nothing picture worthy. I'm picking up the rear clip this weekend, so when I start cutting away at that I'll begin posting the pics. As of right now, it's basically just like the cardboard, but much cleaner....and it's metal. I can't afford to drive around with a hole in the back of my car so I'm going to save that for when I have a free weekend to cut and weld all at the same time...and have no plan on using the car since it'll be grounded at the time. In the mean time I put on the spoiler and began fabricating up the other headlight. Lol there's like 4 projects going on at once....tail lights...head lights...bodykit....BBK....and regular maintainence
Old 12-13-2007, 08:14 PM

OOO a bunch of bolt ons .... congrats
Old 12-18-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Maximahappy22
OOO a bunch of bolt ons .... congrats
Touche.....a VE-5, fidanza, and exedy clutch weren't exactly a "bolt on"...though they DID require bolts to be installed. Most of the other mods are your standard stuff though....mostly suspension. It's fun to drive either way.

GRNMAX is right on the R33 tails, but every time I see the front end of that car he posted I throw up in my mouth just a little bit.

Last edited by traxtar944; 12-18-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:58 PM

hey trax....you better hurry up. you know i am sourcing some myself

if you wanna be the first, i suggest some thick coveralls for winter work
Old 12-19-2007, 10:05 AM

Touche.....a VE-5, fidanza, and exedy clutch weren't exactly a "bolt on"...though they DID require bolts to be installed. Most of the other mods are your standard stuff though....mostly suspension. It's fun to drive either way.

GRNMAX is right on the R33 tails, but every time I see the front end of that car he posted I throw up in my mouth just a little bit.
whose? Stu's ex-3rd gen front end? its too much for my taste especially on the 3rd gen body style.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:31 PM

Could probably use a change of color also.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Banned

from the looks of that front bumper on that green maxima. it looks to me like it is prolly a bumper off of a mitsubishi diamante. but i could be wrong.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:31 AM
STFU n00b!

1. those wheels != performance. waaay too heavy.
2. that roll bar != safety. all forms of racing have outlawed chromed structural parts for years because of the loss of structural integrity during the chroming process. it's also got ****-poor geometry and was most likely only put on there to give the rear door hinges something to hold onto so the door didn't fall off.

there is nothing race about that car. it's all show. which means it's 'race-inspired'.
And going by that colorful wikipedia definition of rice, that's exactly what it is.
slow, flashy, loud paint job, and covered in vinyl and stickers.

other than the big wing and fart can (which I'm sure is there- we just can't see it from that angle) it's 100% rice.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
2. that roll bar != safety. all forms of racing have outlawed chromed structural parts for years because of the loss of structural integrity during the chroming process. it's also got ****-poor geometry and was most likely only put on there to give the rear door hinges something to hold onto so the door didn't fall off.

there is nothing race about that car. it's all show. which means it's 'race-inspired'.
And going by that colorful wikipedia definition of rice, that's exactly what it is.

other than the big wing and fart can (which I'm sure is there- we just can't see it from that angle) it's 100% rice.
do you need to win(matt) to be able to continue your closed-minded existence?(.org) (that wasn't a personal attack, as i worded it to be sure.)

just because something is styled differently than stock, or other than the norm (stillen kit, mainstream ftl), doesn't make it unworthy of it's own credit. (that's for you, .org community) It's not a honda, and they aren't all simple bolt-ons, so you can stop bashing it. ;x

just out of curiosity....did you notice that the rollcage is -seemingly- aluminum, while the harness racks are chromed? that the wheels are aluminum APEX wheels? that the hood pins are functional because there is no hood latch assembly?

anyways, it's probably half-comp/half-show. and i'll admit that there are some things that are only for flash....but you cant drift your way to the top with a crappy looking car. in theory you could, but you wouldnt get the same product support (sponsors) as other cars that grab peoples attention...BUT i was only originally talking about the kit, not all the other accessories....
Old 12-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Matt93SE

My girlfriend made this

Old 12-21-2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by BlooToof
My girlfriend made this

i figured she would have put a real man on there....from TN

(methinks your girl wants some 'mann gegen mann' action......i feel sorry for jo0 do0d...)
Old 12-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Alex_V

ok special ed what do you and nForce have to do with this?

~Alex

Quick Reply: New big undertaking....R34 tails lights on my Maxima. Wish me luck......