3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Digital dash conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:53 PM

LET ME REPEAT THIS VERY SLOWLY!!!!!!

-I WANT A DIGITAL CLUSTER.
-I AM GOING TO FIND A DIGITAL CLUSTER AND PURCHASE IT.
-I AM LOOKING TO SEE IF IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO DO THE SWAPPING PROCESS.

NOWHERE IN THAT PASSAGE DID IT SAY ABOUT ME WANTING ANYTHING TO BE GIVEN TO ME.

ALL I AM ASKING FOR ARE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DO THE COMPLETE SWAP, SINCE I HEARD IT IS NOT PLUG AND GO. I HAVE DONE SOME HARDCORE WIRING, SO I WILL DEAL WITH IT IF THAT IS WHAT HAS TO BE DONE.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:59 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I suggest you do not bite the hand/s that have the info you seek..Settle down the attitude, or you will no longer be here.

Originally Posted by ProphetVG30E

ALL I AM ASKING FOR ARE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DO THE COMPLETE SWAP, SINCE I HEARD IT IS NOT PLUG AND GO. I HAVE DONE SOME HARDCORE WIRING, SO I WILL DEAL WITH IT IF THAT IS WHAT HAS TO BE DONE.

Last edited by Greeny; 03-07-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

just use the FSM and match all the wire functions up. cut/splice all your harnesses after making sure you know what every single wire on your needle meter harnesses do, and label all of them. Sometimes more than one wire will have the same color for different functions (for example, a brown wire is used in heated mirrors, and also for the inhibitor relay to start the car). You say you know a little bit about doing 'hardcore' wiring, so hop to it!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
I suggest you do not bite the hand/s that have the info you seek..Settle down the attitude, or you will no longer be here.

my fault, wasnt meant to be a disrespectful tone. jus trying to clear the confusion
Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
just use the FSM and match all the wire functions up. cut/splice all your harnesses after making sure you know what every single wire on your needle meter harnesses do, and label all of them. Sometimes more than one wire will have the same color for different functions (for example, a brown wire is used in heated mirrors, and also for the inhibitor relay to start the car). You say you know a little bit about doing 'hardcore' wiring, so hop to it!

wow, the only difference is in the harness???? thats all i needed to know.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

wow, the only difference is in the harness???? thats all i needed to know.
well certainly don't quote me on it... but as far as i can see, that should be it..

but if you try it and it isn't.... you never heard it from me..
(keep in mind i've never done this mod)
Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 PM

Profit: It seems that you expect to be spoon fed the answers. Maybe you should try the alternative and spend several hours looking through the FSM, studying multiple wiring diagrams and building your own harness like I did. There's a lot of people willing to help other members on this forum, but you might try saying "please" and "thank you" when you're asking for it. And definitely don't be disrespectful by yelling at everyone with caps lock on

With that said, I will give you some help and make it 100x easier on you. You can bypass all the hard work and custom wiring by using a full stock dash harness from a DD equipped Max, although it's not "all you needed to know" or the "only difference" and it's not a simple task to find a digital parts car in the first place(unless you live in Chicago I guess). If you want to buy the digital harness from the dealer, the price is about $250. I wanted to use a factory DD harness at first, but it is hard as hell to find a digital equipped Maxima around here, and I wasn't about to shell out $250 for a new harness from the dealer. I also wanted to have a dual harness (analog/digital connectors) so I would be able to swap clusters at will without having to rip the dash out of the car to do it, which came in handy when an insurance adjuster came by to appraise my car after getting hit (mileage).

So if you find a junkyard car, you are going to need three parts. Of course one is the cluster, another is the wiring harness, and i'll let you look through the FSM diagrams and figure out what the third peice is I'll give you a hint, if you use the one that is installed in your Maxima right now, it will not work correctly and may even cause damage to the cluster.

If you want to see the amount of work I saved you by telling you this, just check the video in the first post, it was set to private when you bumped this thread.

Last edited by Hectic; 03-08-2008 at 02:21 AM.