3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Just Recieved VG Phenolic Spacers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just Installed VG Phenolic Spacers!

The mailman brought the package to me not 5 minutes ago ...Some of the best packaging I've ever seen! EVERYTHING is labeled and the foam wrappers for the pieces have little NissanWorks stickers on them. The instructions are very clear and are complete with pictures (not that I'll need them...LOL). The parts appear to be very high-quality...

I will most likely install them this afternoon, so I'll let you all know what I think as soon as they're on and I take it for a drive. TBC...

A big thanks to Aaron and all involved for everything!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:07 AM

oh word.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:14 PM

Taking a break to check on some torque specs..I pulled the whole UIM off of the car, and installed the spacers...Injectors are in and the fuel rail is back in place.

Now to put the UIM back on and connect all those dang vacuum lines...if I can remember where they all go...
Old 07-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by maxitech
Taking a break to check on some torque specs..I pulled the whole UIM off of the car, and installed the spacers...Injectors are in and the fuel rail is back in place.

Now to put the UIM back on and connect all those dang vacuum lines...if I can remember where they all go...
i'm assuming that the only reason to pull the UIM was because you already needed to work on the injectors and decided to do it all at once?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
i'm assuming that the only reason to pull the UIM was because you already needed to work on the injectors and decided to do it all at once?
Yep...

10crossedvacuumlines

Right now I am trying to figure out why the idle is surging...an air leak of some type, no doubt...
Old 07-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Hey you taking a nice lil drive to Chicago for the Sunday local Maxima meet? hot *****es, good food, hot cars, super incredibly riceristic street racing and all.

Change to test yo VGPS's on a long drive

Edit: forgot to mention...we can also poke Brian (or his sentra) with a stick while we're there
Old 07-27-2007, 04:50 PM

IMPORTANT: You need to adjust the throttle and cruise control cables to be a bit longer or you will have an idle that surges between 1500 and 2000 RPM...at least mine did.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

IMPORTANT: You need to adjust the throttle and cruise control cables to be a bit longer or you will have an idle that surges between 1500 and 2000 RPM...at least mine did.
haha, mine were SO badly stretched and loose (and maxed out tight on the adjustment turney thing), that the TB spacer actually was a concidental repair for my stretched throttle cables. fixed it exactly to proper tension. but that's just because mine were so bad to begin with.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:10 PM

Any vids of acceleration? do you feel like it does anything? enlighten us...
Old 07-28-2007, 08:22 AM

OK, picture time...

Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 AM

I would say the kit has a reasonably noticeable impact on low and mid-end acceleration and it makes the intake note a bit more raspy (I already have a CAI, though)...

I have only driven the car to the store and back since installing the kit yesterday, so I'm about to go out and play with it for an extended period...I'll post anything else I may notice when I get back...
Old 07-28-2007, 08:22 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Hey you taking a nice lil drive to Chicago for the Sunday local Maxima meet? hot *****es, good food, hot cars, super incredibly riceristic street racing and all.

Change to test yo VGPS's on a long drive

Edit: forgot to mention...we can also poke Brian (or his sentra) with a stick while we're there
Sentra is at the shop.
see- avatar for current whip
Old 07-28-2007, 10:55 PM

Fine. We can poke Brian due to his soccer mom-ish tendencies
Old 07-29-2007, 12:46 AM
Boomer Sooner

that musta been one helluva drive! still no updates on how it performed?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Black92GXE
that musta been one helluva drive! still no updates on how it performed?
I really didn't notice anything additional worth posting...All I can say is the spacers, along with my other bolt-ons, make this VG a torque monster off the line...
Old 07-29-2007, 12:22 PM

Worth the money or what? C'mon now be honest!
Old 07-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

how did you reconnect the tb vaccuum lines with the stuff already preassembled?

also, did you do the coolant bypasses too? if so, how's the back one working out with the angled fitting? any crimping?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm needing a caw

Looks like a Permatex orgy in there
Old 07-30-2007, 08:43 AM

Hey Ben...that red intake's gotta go...lol
Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Boomer Sooner

Originally Posted by Jeff92se

I didn't want to say anything.. but I agree..
Old 07-31-2007, 07:07 AM

how did you reconnect the tb vaccuum lines with the stuff already preassembled?

also, did you do the coolant bypasses too? if so, how's the back one working out with the angled fitting? any crimping?
I connected the vacuum lines at the TB first, then attached the other end when I put the plenum in place. I did the coolant bypasses and it has worked out fine so far.

Since the install, the car takes slightly longer to crank, and it idles around 950RPM. I'm thinking it's some small air or vacuum leak from having the plenum off, rather than being due to the spacers. It's just a minor nuisance, so I will be tracking down the leak when I have time. It must be small, though, because the idle is smooth, just a bit high...
Old 07-31-2007, 07:09 AM

I made sure to keep it away from the inside...and after it fully cured, I scraped most of it off...

Why no love for the red intake, John?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:33 PM

Looks kinda ricy IMO...unless it was nice red but its kinda dull looking unless its the pics..
Old 07-31-2007, 06:37 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Looks kinda ricy IMO...unless it was nice red but its kinda dull looking unless its the pics..
There's nothing ricey about intake spacers. But it is ricey if maxitech thinks all that red RTV looks good.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:31 PM

I connected the vacuum lines at the TB first, then attached the other end when I put the plenum in place. I did the coolant bypasses and it has worked out fine so far.

Since the install, the car takes slightly longer to crank, and it idles around 950RPM. I'm thinking it's some small air or vacuum leak from having the plenum off, rather than being due to the spacers. It's just a minor nuisance, so I will be tracking down the leak when I have time. It must be small, though, because the idle is smooth, just a bit high...
Once you figure the leak out I'm really curious about what you think of the spacers as a performance mod.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM

It's a Place Racing CAI...bought it used off another member awhile back. The paint isn't too bad on it, it's just got some dirt and dust on it...I need to clean the engine bay.

I think it goes well with the red valve covers, personally...
Old 07-31-2007, 10:29 PM

Yea it does, I guess its just me...I'd prefer the standard color
Old 10-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Donating member? what the?!

Sorry, I still haven't installed my spacers yet, so I don't recall what the instructions are... but is using the Permatex goo a "bad" thing? What are the alternatives orther than buying 4 plenum gaskets?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by super32
Sorry, I still haven't installed my spacers yet, so I don't recall what the instructions are... but is using the Permatex goo a "bad" thing? What are the alternatives orther than buying 4 plenum gaskets?
Definitely not! Jeff just made that comment b/c he used a lot of red RTV and it's very noticable. If you properly apply Black RTV, you won't see it at all once everything is installed. But in those pics, it just looks like he gooped it all on there and wasn't stingy with the stuff.

I recently tested for intake leaks after having my latest set of spacers installed for almost a year now. I only have black RTV on the spacers. I pressurized my intake tract with 8psi of pressure and no leaks! I didn't want to go with higher pressure b/c I didn't feel like fixing anything if something broke lose.

But I know for a fact that the black RTV on my spacers can hold 8psi of boost without any problems. Most people on this board aren't pressurizing their intake manifold with a turbocharger or supercharger. So you'll have nothing to worry about with using Black RTV only.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Definitely not! Jeff just made that comment b/c he used a lot of red RTV and it's very noticable. If you properly apply Black RTV, you won't see it at all once everything is installed. But in those pics, it just looks like he gooped it all on there and wasn't stingy with the stuff.

I recently tested for intake leaks after having my latest set of spacers installed for almost a year now. I only have black RTV on the spacers. I pressurized my intake tract with 8psi of pressure and no leaks! I didn't want to go with higher pressure b/c I didn't feel like fixing anything if something broke lose.

But I know for a fact that the black RTV on my spacers can hold 8psi of boost without any problems. Most people on this board aren't pressurizing their intake manifold with a turbocharger or supercharger. So you'll have nothing to worry about with using Black RTV only.

what would you suggest for those of us running 15psi of pressure?
Old 10-19-2007, 04:33 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by 4signs
what would you suggest for those of us running 15psi of pressure?
If the RTV doesn't hold up at 15psi, then all you would have to do is sandwich the spacers with OEM gaskets.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:58 PM

Ya know, I don't recall anyone else posting regarding their intake spacers...there was a list of people who bought them, so make with the commentary on them before I start callng out specific names...LOL

A side note: even though I don't drive the car once it starts snowing, I do drive it when it's cold out but the roads are dry...I took the bypass off of the coolant lines the other day since it has been dipping into the 30's lately...
Old 10-19-2007, 10:41 PM

Ya know, I don't recall anyone else posting regarding their intake spacers...there was a list of people who bought them, so make with the commentary on them before I start callng out specific names...LOL

A side note: even though I don't drive the car once it starts snowing, I do drive it when it's cold out but the roads are dry...I took the bypass off of the coolant lines the other day since it has been dipping into the 30's lately...
If I can pry my left eye from the teley, I should have them installed this weekend :stfu:
Old 10-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...lic%20spacers/

I got the 'pro treatment' back in July. Which is crazy come to think of it... becuase I went to visit Aaron the first time after having been on he org or just a month at that point, and I had the spacers installed during my 5th month on the org. But it's amazing how much you think you know until you actually learn more. But I like the ability to tell my friends that my car is the first car IN THE WORLD with this particular custom performance package.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 10-20-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:05 PM
NWP Engineering.com

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...lic%20spacers/

I got the 'pro treatment' back in July. Which is crazy come to think of it... becuase I went to visit Aaron the first time after having been on he org or just a month at that point, and I had the spacers installed during my 5th month on the org. But it's amazing how much you think you know until you actually learn more. But I like the ability to tell my friends that my car is the first car IN THE WORLD with this particular custom performance package.
Yeap! Couldn't have done it without you! Thanks for volunteering!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:16 PM

If I can pry my left eye from the teley, I should have them installed this weekend
Ok I just installed the spacers! Whee! It took me all of about 12 hours to complete. Well, I also cleaned the TB and removed the air-plenum to clean that too. Also pulled the EGR to clean that too. Plenum was plenty dirty.

The worst part about my experience was removing the gasket on the dual-duct port. I'd say it took about 2-3 hours extra just to get that dumb gasket off using Gasket remover chemicals, which BTW works layers at a time

When I put everything back together, i got a bit of a scare as my engine was just juttering and "coughing" almost. Then I remembered the 2 cans of TB cleaner fluid I sprayed into everything, and the little bits I sprayed on the lower intake manifold to clean the contact surface for the RTV. So, it disappeared after a minute or two.

Some future things I need to do now is:
1. replace my horribly cracked vacuum hoses
2. I recall reading somewhere that I should replace the PCV just because

Good news is, as this was the biggest project I've ever done on my car on my own was that I got the CEL for just a few seconds, and then NONE!

Some things I noticed after softly driving it around and on the freeway (softly means I'm not gunning it off every chance I get)
1. The dual-duct ports and TB is noticiably "cooler" than the air plenum
2. the IACV is not so much cooler however. I'll need to look into what heats that thing up. After 12hours of back straining work, I didn't want to spend another minute in the bay until next time.

I'll report back if I notice the additional power and gas mpg improvement once the RTV gets all cured and stuff... unless driving it on the freeway already screwed me over

I hope I don't have any vacuum leaks and stuff
I hope for better mileage.
I hope someone will give my RSB link upgrades
=I hope someone will make a universal CVT tranny for the 3gen max (BTW, how hard to I have to wish for this to happen??? )
I hope everyone has a good night!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:20 PM

Thanks for that tip! It helped alot in my install!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:41 AM

Thanks for that tip! It helped alot in my install!
Glad I could help...although 12 hours is a long time...if I was there we could have had that done, and had time to install new injectors, and replace the transmission . Glad to hear everything is in working order tho...good work!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:25 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Ok I just installed the spacers!

2. the IACV is not so much cooler however. I'll need to look into what heats that thing up.
Congratulations!

About the IACV, the reason for this spacer is to prevent the heat from transferring FROM the IACV to the intake manifold. So the IACV will always be hot b/c of the coolant that flows through it. You don't want the IACV heating up the intake manifold.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Congratulations!

About the IACV, the reason for this spacer is to prevent the heat from transferring FROM the IACV to the intake manifold. So the IACV will always be hot b/c of the coolant that flows through it. You don't want the IACV heating up the intake manifold.
Oh. I was figuring it was the other way around.
So the purpose of the TB and Dual-duct spacers is to prevent heat from transferring from air-plenum to the TB and Dual-duct, right? Not to prevent transfer from TB/Dual-duct TO air-plenum?

Quick Reply: Just Recieved VG Phenolic Spacers!