3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

problem with my gxe tear*

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 06:10 PM
heresmymind

problem with my gxe tear*

Alright heres the problem. Whenever the car is warmed up the temp gauge is up 2/3 -3/4 (running hot) I couldn't even touch the intake manifold without getting burned. It has a very very slight chug when I accelerate from a dead stop for maybe 200rpms. 800-1000/1100. It shifts smooth. idles smooth. I just did a oil change since i slightly leak oil and replaces all my spark plugs with bosch platinums. and I still have the issue. I know it cant be an injector because of how small the chug is. but it has been doing it for awhile. and i still feel like i am not getting all the bottom end that i should be. Could it be a thermostat? should i flush the coolant? I was dreading thinking i have a leaky head gasket but the coolant is is 95% clean and I don't get a milky ring on the oil cap. any ideas? its a 94 gxe sohc uh-duh.

-B

Old 07-29-2007, 07:03 PM

A compression test will verify if you have a problem with the head gasket / head / block. You might as well start there. If compression is good on all cylinders, then troubleshoot the heat issue first. Is the temp gauge / sender working right, fans working, radiator plugged up? Does turning the heat on cool the engine down? Does it have the chugging problem when you first start it, before it warms up?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

well the spark plugs are not your overheating problem but can be the cause of your chug. For some reason the Nissan motors (VE and VG) dont take too well to Bosch. I know it sounds crazy but I had a problem with my old GXE shortly after replacing the plugs with Bosch. Took them out and put in NGK and it went back to normal...now they could have been bad plugs or something but I havent used Bosch plugs since.

If you were having the problem before you put the plugs in then obviously thats probably not it but if it came up after the plug change it might be something to check.

Also dont rule out the injector because it could just be dirty or on its way out and cause a really slight chug.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Tquick
A compression test will verify if you have a problem with the head gasket / head / block. You might as well start there. If compression is good on all cylinders, then troubleshoot the heat issue first. Is the temp gauge / sender working right, fans working, radiator plugged up? Does turning the heat on cool the engine down? Does it have the chugging problem when you first start it, before it warms up?
to all of that.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:25 AM
heresmymind

Alright. Ill have to return my plugs and get another set of ngk irrideums. (spelling). It chugs all the time not just after it is warmed up. I will run some injector cleaner to see if that helps at all. if it helps at all my car backfires every now and then when shifted at high rpms. the gauge works. turning the heat on does not help. the radiator might be plugged up I am not sure. I am going to drain all the coolant and flush the system today or tomorrow and see if that helps. (ps i love firefox spell checker. im mad tired aty 6:38 am and off to work)

-B

Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by heresmymind
Alright. Ill have to return my plugs and get another set of ngk irrideums. (spelling). It chugs all the time not just after it is warmed up. I will run some injector cleaner to see if that helps at all. if it helps at all my car backfires every now and then when shifted at high rpms. the gauge works. turning the heat on does not help. the radiator might be plugged up I am not sure. I am going to drain all the coolant and flush the system today or tomorrow and see if that helps. (ps i love firefox spell checker. im mad tired aty 6:38 am and off to work)

-B
I wouldnt even go with the fancy plugs...I dont think you see a gain worth the money. Either get regular NGK copper or plats.

Also I have read on here from several people that the FI cleaners are bad for the 3rd gen injectors because it eats at the seals or other parts (cant remember) so be careful there.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 AM
- Product of Maxima.org -

i bought some platinums one time, like a $60 set of plugs, and it ran like crap, with alot of chugging, and what sounded like a miss.....i got on here and was told to pretty much only use the NGK iridiums...and bam. problem solved.

now the overheating, i have no idea. is the fan working properly? could be a thermostat problem?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:10 PM
mod or sell?

if the plugs are causing a chugging problem or an incorrect burn it can raise the motors operating temperature.
swap in some basic NGK coppers (BKR6ES-11 stock #5553) that the factory put in. and see how much that helps.

Bosch plugs have become such a problem that most OEs no longer use them, including VW/Audi/BMW et al. NGK is now the largest supplier of plugs to the OEs
Old 07-30-2007, 07:25 PM

What makes you so certain that the temp gauge / sender are working properly? If you turn on the heat, and you are getting heat inside the car, then the engine temp should go down.

I too have read a number of posts by folks that know more then me saying not to use injector cleaner on 3rd gens.

I still say verify compression before messing with anything else, or throwing money at it.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Alex_V

The only injector cleaner that seems to work and not kill them is techron. You can get it at advance auto and maybe auto zone and napa.

~Alex

Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 AM
heresmymind

i just returned the bosche and put in ngk iridium's and vwah lah no more issues with chugging. not just a temperature issue

Old 08-01-2007, 06:54 AM
mod or sell?

i just returned the bosche and put in ngk iridium's and vwah lah no more issues with chugging. not just a temperature issue
now or not?
is the temp issue gone?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Has anyone else heard the superstition/rumor about Japanese engines liking German plugs, and German engines liking Japanese plugs? I wish I could remember which ones I put it last time...
Old 08-01-2007, 02:39 PM
heresmymind

yeah. the chugging is GONE. and the guy at IDIOTzone said that Japanese cars aren't fans of bosch plugs

Old 08-01-2007, 04:22 PM
mod or sell?

so both issues were fixed with the CORRECT plug being used?

and bosch plugs are the absolute worst out there, that is why autozone sells them...
Old 08-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by mikekantor
Has anyone else heard the superstition/rumor about Japanese engines liking German plugs, and German engines liking Japanese plugs? I wish I could remember which ones I put it last time...
Its the opposite. Japanese engines like jap plugs and germen engines like german plugs. Some even use japanese plugs in some germen engines but usually thats not the case.

~Alex

Old 08-01-2007, 06:37 PM

IDIOTzone