3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

cv joint info

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

cv joint info

what's the bind angle? enough that i can run out my steering stopper until my tires rub? I want to max out my steering, but i don't want to shred my CV joints in the process...

ibwaynehasgoodinfo
ibmatthasgoodinfotoo
Old 08-22-2007, 10:07 PM
STFU n00b!

steering stoppers are there for a reason. they keep toher things (like expensive steering rack components) from extending too far, as well as it keeps tires from rubbing the inside edge of the wheel well.

If you don't rub tires on the inside of the wheel well with stock steering settings, then you need wider tires before you touch anything else.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
steering stoppers are there for a reason. they keep toher things (like expensive steering rack components) from extending too far, as well as it keeps tires from rubbing the inside edge of the wheel well.

If you don't rub tires on the inside of the wheel well with stock steering settings, then you need wider tires before you touch anything else.
well.. wider tires won't make my parking-deck maneuverability more nimble...
Old 08-23-2007, 07:53 PM
STFU n00b!

damaging your steering rack won't make it any more nimble either. be careful if you start messing with the stops.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

damaging your steering rack won't make it any more nimble either. be careful if you start messing with the stops.
so are you saying not to touch them at all, or to just make small adjustments and see how it works? Granted, I do have that torn boot and such, so there is a risk of overextension and whatnot.. I won't do anything until I replace/repair my passenger side LCA anyhow.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:35 AM
STFU n00b!

IF it were me, I personally wouldn't touch it. it's possible to damage the steering rack, but exactly how far you can go I dunno. and I don't think you're going to see the damage happen immediately or run into another stop when you slowly move the stops.

basically you could wind up stripping the gears inside the steering rack, and you don't know until it's time to throw the rack away and buy another one.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

...or run into another stop when you slowly move the stops.
huh? that didn't make sense, sorry. the rest did, just not that part.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:08 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

The development of Constant Velocity (CV) joints has greatly improved the angle at which a driveline may operate from a straight line before loss of power and/or vibration occurs.

The Constant Velocity joint's driving members are steel ***** constrained in curved grooves between the forks of the joint. The design is such that a CV joint may operate efficiently up to an 80 ° deviation from a straight line. By operating in pairs, this angle can be increased accordingly.

As with the Cardan Joint [Universal Joint], the effective life of a CV joint will be shortened as joint angles increase. While equalization of joint angles is still important, it is less of a concern for CV joints by their nature. For large angles, ther still may be some vibration if the joint angles are not equal.

as with most safety devices, there's still excess wiggle room above what the rating is. Say a ladder is rated at 200 lbs, it's actually rated for more like 300.....so if your stops are at, say 40 degrees, then i'm sure you still have some wiggle room, but i wouldn't just guess at it. i would keep researching, and find the maximum bind angle, and stay under it.

just my .02
Old 08-29-2007, 01:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

as with most safety devices, there's still excess wiggle room above what the rating is. Say a ladder is rated at 200 lbs, it's actually rated for more like 300.....so if your stops are at, say 40 degrees, then i'm sure you still have some wiggle room, but i wouldn't just guess at it. i would keep researching, and find the maximum bind angle, and stay under it.

just my .02
It not really the same. As you increase this angle it will generate heat in the CV's during the times you use the the increased turn angle. If the CV's are worn then it is possible for complete failure by dropping out the ball bearings.

The increased heat will effect the life of the CV.

The rack should allow tweaking as you suggested however if you reach it's limit again you will cause failure of this componet

Personally I wouldn't touch the bind angle unless you need to for a real reason other than trying to invent failure of components.

just my .02