3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Simple question, or observation..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Simple question, or observation..

OK, my flame suit is on. I won't name names, but I just wanted to state something that quite honestly drives me nuts. I have seen and been part of many posts that start off innocently enough. Yes maybe these questions have been asked before in the last x number of years, or perhaps the information could be found with a search. I just want to add that the responses that always jump all over it is, in my opinion a little over the line quite often. This is a forum, driven by the users.. all the wealth of information that is posted on here was at one point started by a question. If noone asked, and noone answered this site would be more like looking at yourself in the mirror and trying to figure everything out instead of the great site it has become.. All I am saying it lighten up, go easy on users (especially the new ones) and let them ask their questions and get their answers. Trust me, if they ask someone will answer (preferably with more than a "use search" or a stfu, this has been asked 4.5 years ago answer.. ok, I said my peace.. you may now return to your regularly scheduled programming :-)
Old 08-24-2007, 08:30 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

when i first learned of maxima.org, i came on here and asked a question about something (i can't remember what) and i'm sure i could have searched for it, had i donated.....well, i hadn't so i didn't search. But my question was answered....and politely might i add, by more than a few people.....one of the main reasons i became addicted to the board.

Soaknfused is right when he says it's rough in here these days, and alot of people do need to lighten up, in my opinion....i've seen more than a couple 'noobs' scared away by the flaming and the attitudes.

If someone asks a question that was already asked, and they didn't use the search function.....maybe if the question was just answered nicely, the post would just die away and not bother anyone....and soon thereafter, that 'noob' might donate and search because he believes in the wealth of knowledge that the .org has to offer.

and i've said my peace. ;x

edit: and to keep this on topic: how's your max doing? do you miss fob cobra yet?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 PM

Max is getting better every day, pretty much have everything replaced to get it as close to "new" as possible.. Only thing left to fix is y-pipe and control arm bushings, then on to performance mods like drop, 5-speed swap and turbo ;-) As for cobra, I won't lie.. I don't miss that place, but I do miss some of the people. Hows the wife and new kiddo?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:16 PM

they're good....the wifey is deploying again, to iraq...near taji i think. she got held up on medical hold for 2 weeks, but she's good to go now.

the boy is growing up super fast, too fast sometimes. very smart kid. running around, going so fast he trips himself up, hits the gravel hard, and keeps going.

i'm beginning to work on the max again, now that i have a little extra free time to do so. couple body mods i'm workin on right now, then it's down to the nitty gritty......quarter panel replacement, exhaust studs, gonna go dual exhaust....change my trunk a bit (you'll have to just see it to understand)...new interior, etc. etc.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:52 PM

you all should have searched for a thread like this before posting. ha ha jk.
for real on the just search. Sometimes it is hard to wade through the results. Many times you just get results that pertain to a 4th gen.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Soaknfused
OK, my flame suit is on. I won't name names, but I just wanted to state something that quite honestly drives me nuts. I have seen and been part of many posts that start off innocently enough. Yes maybe these questions have been asked before in the last x number of years, or perhaps the information could be found with a search. I just want to add that the responses that always jump all over it is, in my opinion a little over the line quite often. This is a forum, driven by the users.. all the wealth of information that is posted on here was at one point started by a question. If noone asked, and noone answered this site would be more like looking at yourself in the mirror and trying to figure everything out instead of the great site it has become.. All I am saying it lighten up, go easy on users (especially the new ones) and let them ask their questions and get their answers. Trust me, if they ask someone will answer (preferably with more than a "use search" or a stfu, this has been asked 4.5 years ago answer.. ok, I said my peace.. you may now return to your regularly scheduled programming :-)
I couldn't agree more with you. Besides that, it can't really hurt to bring some things up again later because there might be some more information that can be given besides what was in the previous thread, and hey if nobody started threads there would be no conversation in here and it would most likely turn into a ghost town right?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:02 PM

i notice that a lot of you guys have only been here for 2 years. let's just say that i've been lurking here since 2000. search has always helped me (except for those times it wasn't working). i didn't even need to post a question for about 3 years.

i have no problem when someone is in an emergency and needs a quick answer...post away. it's just that it gets really annoying when a newbie makes multiple posts when it's obvious that they're just trying to increase their post count.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:33 PM

+1 to unnecessary post-whoring

no noob is gonna pay 20 bucks to search a forum that he doesn't know anything about, and won't donate to a website that hasn't yet given him reason to. by being more accepting, and tolerant....and less short tempered, more noobs will be lured into the greatness that is the .org, and one day contribute to the community.

on another note, you've been here since 2003.

the friendliness of the mods and members was what kept bringing me back. sometimes im scared to post nowadays due to fear of being over-criticized or even............flamed! (half-joking)

soaknfused: where's the max?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I won't name names

sorry, I've been saying it lately but...I now know why the old guys said it to me when I was a noob...after seeing the same question 9-10 times in less than a month or have 3 different threads with the same question AT THE SAME TIME. its like...such a waste. but then again I guess its what keeps the forum moving.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:16 AM
I can has?

Yeah. I somewhat agree with the original poster... But. Some of the threads (usually the one's the mods get mad at) are just so ridiculous, it's always the same thing...

Struts
Shocks
Cold Air Intakes
300ZX VG30DET(T) Swaps
RWD Maxima's
Etc.

When they can ALL see, if they searched that there are very simple answers to these questions. It would be like me going to a civic forum and wanting undivided attention and posting a new thread about a b16 swap on a D series car. Every 16 year old with a civic wants it, and it's been posted about a million times. It's like going to a Muscle Car Chevy thread and asking how to swap a new Crate 350 Engine in. People just don't use their head anymore.

And If I see one more post about VG CAI's I'm gonna flip...
Old 08-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

my thread called 'CV joint info', where i asked about the 3rd gen's cv joint bind angle so i could try and run out my steering stoppers for better turning... nowhere on the org has this been addressed before, at least, not using the same terminology that put in that search.

but the first couple times i posted on the org, I was flamed for idiocy, but i now see that i deserved it. Because i didn't understand the cross-compatibility of parts between years and trims within the 3rd generation.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:47 AM

Alright, I have some experience with forums/message boards, everyone needs to realize a couple of things:

1. Every forum that has users has a reason why it's able to get those users. For here it's a mix of car enthusiasts talking about their max and of people trying to learn how to work on their max.
2. People will always be leaving a forum, never to return. Obviously to stay active new people are needed then.
3. The new people will always be new, and the bulk of them are all going to come here trying to get their feet planted. The people who actually know what they're doing generally don't need to go online to find out how.

So really what it bubbles down to is that you've either got to put up with the noobs (preferably help them out so they don't stay noobs), ignore them, or leave. True for video game forums, programming forums, car forums, etc.

Everybody has to start somewhere, just because someone asks the same damn question you've read 9x a week doesn't mean in a couple of months they won't be helping you out.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:00 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by prappl
So really what it bubbles down to is that you've either got to put up with the noobs (preferably help them out so they don't stay noobs), ignore them, or leave. True for video game forums, programming forums, car forums, etc.

Everybody has to start somewhere, just because someone asks the same damn question you've read 9x a week doesn't mean in a couple of months they won't be helping you out.
Yes. Everyone does have to start somewhere...But you don't have to have some vast knowledge of the internet to look at the website you're on and find the search button. First instinct would be; hmm, I have a problem, I better SEARCH to find what it is. But instead, all you see are tons and tons of new threads that could be answered by using the search function, reading stickies, or puttering around the website a little.

You're standing for ignorance, and if you continue to allow it, there will always be. Why make excuses for people who refuse to use the information that is right in front of their faces? I just don't understand it.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:16 AM

i've been here for awhile, and i do try to answer questions without saying "use the search." BUT i do remind people from time to time to check out the stickies.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:48 PM

when i first joined, i wasn't aware of the search at all, then when i learned of it, i wasn't aware of it being so extensive....so i asked more question....and again, got politeness back, and now i like to think i contribute at least a little bit to the community/ ;x

there's obviously a thin line here, and no one knows where it is.....so why don't we just say "if it doesn't concern us, stay out of it"

who really cares if someone asks a question that's been asked a million times? (unless they do it over and over) i mean, seriously, who does it affect? if you see the post title and know it's been asked before, either go in and be helpful and polite, and maybe inform them of the search feature in a mature manner, without flaming, or just pass on by the **** thread!

if you are at the grocery store and someone asks a clerk where the biscuits are, and there's a sign nearby....are you going to interject into the conversation and call the customer a stupid ****? i think not. I think you will just continue walking and maybe shake your head........and if the clerk said "you stupid ****, it's right there, jesus." how soon do you think the customer would return to the store? exactly. it's still business.

just walk on by....or be polite about it to ensure future business and contributions. that's my stance.

good day.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:43 PM

I just want to add, there are sooooo many helpful people here that it amazes me every time I need to find out something. If it werent for this site, I would still be trying to figure out how to fix my keyless entry, clean my IACV (what is an IACV?) :-p etc etc and so on and so forth. Even the people who are harsh on the newb's are still some of the most considerate and helpful people I know. I just wanted to state that sometimes it seems a little harsh.. It is indeed a business, and customer service goes something like this "the customer is always right, even when they are wrong lol.. You are all great and I can say, thanks in part to this site I plan on keeping my Max untill it is physically no longer possible to keep is rolling.

ustfdes: I dont have any pictures of the max handy, at least since the addition of the 350Z rims.. but I will get some and post it in my sig or something :-)
Old 08-25-2007, 04:43 PM
kthxbye2u

we all need to give some "WOW"® customer service in here... Then we can stickie all the threads that are helpful and so we can make it easier on the poor lil boogas

just my .02¢
Old 08-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I say we make a sticky dedicated STRICTLY on VIDEO how-to's...it'll keep the noobs (such as myself) learning something and the redundant question rising. Anyone that posts something in it gets their post deleted to keep the sticky "clean" sorry I went a little off topic
Old 08-25-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by ustfdes
on another note, you've been here since 2003.
that was my point, though. i was doing some research on the 5th and 4th gen here and on other sites back in 99-00. a 3rd gen came along and i really liked it, so i went with that instead.

i didn't need to even register for an account because the search was activated for everyone back then (even though it didn't always work). so i lurked here for 3+ years without ever needing to post because my questions were always answered. then in 2003, i think only members could search (can't remember exactly why i needed to register). obviously, today's free google search isn't that good...but hey, it's free.

today's noobs aren't as bad as some of the noobs back in the day, though. i can recall some new threads with topics (exhaust, cai, etc.) that had been discussed just a few threads down, yet the poster failed to even read the first page. either that, or they thought they were special and need their own personal thread .

on the other hand, i've seen quite a few noobs that started with the typical questions, do a 180. they've learned quite a bit over time and turn around and help other members. my hat goes off to them.

i've always tried to be nice to noobs. it's just hard when they don't even try.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
Struts
Shocks
Cold Air Intakes
300ZX VG30DET(T) Swaps
RWD Maxima's
Etc.
5spd swap, especially from GXE owners [i can't hate too bad. i was one of these]
electric superchargers...
"how do i make my car fast?"
Old 08-25-2007, 08:32 PM
mod or sell?

if people actually read the stickies, this whole thread wouldn't have been neccessary
and this topic too has been covered many times before.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
Yes. Everyone does have to start somewhere...But you don't have to have some vast knowledge of the internet to look at the website you're on and find the search button. First instinct would be; hmm, I have a problem, I better SEARCH to find what it is. But instead, all you see are tons and tons of new threads that could be answered by using the search function, reading stickies, or puttering around the website a little.

You're standing for ignorance, and if you continue to allow it, there will always be. Why make excuses for people who refuse to use the information that is right in front of their faces? I just don't understand it.
The search here is not easy to find or use for most people, and the only useful one is locked away from new people. (Here random site, $25) The free search will bring up threads for the other gens unless you're lucky enough for it to be a 3rd gen only problem, and even then there's no guarantee that the searcher will even know what phrase to search for. "howto ground vtcs" or even "clean throttle body" are kind of hard to guess out of the blue.

By the by, I've been the jerk, it doesn't do any good. So yeah, I don't waste my time being mean to noobs.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 PM
kthxbye2u

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=391909

didnt do much for me sorry

like add things... such as:
spacers ; why and how they work
Bored TB/cylinders ; how and why they work
ported intake manifolds ; how and why they work
exhaust ; what works best and why
vg33 lists
YES a VQ can fit in a 3rd gen...
and so on... i cant think of any more

some people do actually suck at searching for info on the internet
how it works...wikipedia blah blah blah
Old 08-26-2007, 02:29 AM

I just want to add, there are sooooo many helpful people here that it amazes me every time I need to find out something. If it werent for this site, I would still be trying to figure out how to fix my keyless entry, clean my IACV (what is an IACV?) :-p etc etc and so on and so forth. Even the people who are harsh on the newb's are still some of the most considerate and helpful people I know.
definately.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:13 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Let me make this crystal clear for you..The 3rd generation forum is a technical forum to discuss problems with the THE 3RD GEN MAXIMA CAR!!

The 3rd gen forum is NOT for talking about why certain members say "search" all the time,nor is it to talk about flaming of noobs for redundant questions...

Use the feedback forum for this kind of stuff..