3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Digital Fuel Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:11 PM

Digital Fuel Sensor

Hey guys, long time I haven't been here. My max is running great though. One annoyance is how bad my fuel reading are. For example, I can start up the car, and have 4 bars of gas left (I have the digital cluster). When I turn the car on after school, it'll say I have 2 bars of gas left. Then slowly rise back up to 3 or 4. Once I had 2 bars of gas left, then I ended up with none. I filled up with 20 bucks of gas, and I was 3 bars away from full. So my question to you guys is, is there a sensor I can replace so I will get the right fuel readings? I have not been able to find any kind of sensor for sale on the web. So, help please?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
Hey guys, long time I haven't been here. My max is running great though. One annoyance is how bad my fuel reading are. For example, I can start up the car, and have 4 bars of gas left (I have the digital cluster). When I turn the car on after school, it'll say I have 2 bars of gas left. Then slowly rise back up to 3 or 4. Once I had 2 bars of gas left, then I ended up with none. I filled up with 20 bucks of gas, and I was 3 bars away from full. So my question to you guys is, is there a sensor I can replace so I will get the right fuel readings? I have not been able to find any kind of sensor for sale on the web. So, help please?
well these gauges are notorious for being inaccurate. I can drive 50 miles, the needle will hardly move, then all the sudden i drive another 5 and it's down another eighth of a tank. And given the low resolution inherent in digital gauges (big blocks instead of finer pixel measurements) there's not a whole lot that can be done about it.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 PM

I think it's more the sensor in the tank than the gauge. I have the stock 92-94 SE gauges, the gas needle hardly has a clue where it should be. There must be a good replacement for it somewhere.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like you may have a problem with a dirty contact or bad solder somewhere. This could give you somewhat random readings because the resistance isnt what its supposed to be.

If you are handy with a screwdriver, start taking things apart and look for leaky capacitors, burned resistors, or cracked solder.

The analog fuel gauge isnt much better with regard to accuracy, so I tend to look at miles driven instead. It would be nice to have an in-line flow meter to measure how much gasoline is actually flowing out of the tank. I'd like that much better, but its not a priority.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by prappl
I think it's more the sensor in the tank than the gauge. I have the stock 92-94 SE gauges, the gas needle hardly has a clue where it should be. There must be a good replacement for it somewhere.
yes i didn't finish my thought. the inaccuracy of the sensor relays bad info to the gauge which therefore shows a bad reading. The gauges themselves are fine. Just that adding 2 big bars on a chunkily-incremented gauge looks much fishier than ten pixels on a finely-incremented gauge.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:50 PM

Part number 25060-86E00. It is the sending unit for the digital gauge, I need one myself, costs about $100 from the dealer. We've talked about this already and you asked this same question about a month ago.. If you're still up to convert to SE gauges let me know. If you replace the sending unit, i'd be interested in taking the faulty one off your hands.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Part number 25060-86E00. It is the sending unit for the digital gauge, I need one myself, costs about $100 from the dealer. We've talked about this already and you asked this same question about a month ago.. If you're still up to convert to SE gauges let me know. If you replace the sending unit, i'd be interested in taking the faulty one off your hands.
Ouch, I'd knew the stealership would charge a lot. And I'm strapped for cash since I started school, so the digi cluster is going to stay.