3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Should I.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Should I.........

Whats up fellas? Been a while. My last post if anybody remembers was that I was moving and could my MAX make the daily commute of 144 miles round trip a day.Alot of orgers said it could be done. So far so good for the last 2 months. the max has been handling very well.So thats 720 mile for 5 days and it sits Sat and Sun.Now I brought my MAX with 187.000 miles on it.It now has 238.000 miles on it. Never changed the tranny fluid. Or dont know when was it last done. Would the tranny start slipping?

Should I?
Or leave it as is?
Anything I should do. I did some searching. but nothing much. Except one orger that put lukas treatment in his tranny.

So is the rumor true about the tranny slipping if you never changed it?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

there are some people here who believe in changing the fluid religiously......i own a VE5 so i know nothing.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

sometimes changing the fluid after it's been in there for a LONG LONG time, it can actually cause slippage when there was previously none. That's because fluid out.. metal filings out too. Those metal filings sort of hold stuff together haphazardly, and once you take it out... and clean it... and put new fluid in. Well just ask my brother where 2 months' salary went for his camry.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 AM

I jest went through a long discusison on this with most people here, some good info here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=533900

I changed my fluid 3 times in a row to get as much as possible of the old stuff out (plus it had water in it). It shifts much better now, but I'll be cleaning the screen as well to prevent the possible failure.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
sometimes changing the fluid after it's been in there for a LONG LONG time, it can actually cause slippage when there was previously none. That's because fluid out.. metal filings out too. Those metal filings sort of hold stuff together haphazardly, and once you take it out... and clean it... and put new fluid in. Well just ask my brother where 2 months' salary went for his camry.
BUT....

really old fluid has lost a lot of its viscosity as well.... and you want high viscosity oil in your transmission
Old 09-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by fred
BUT....

really old fluid has lost a lot of its viscosity as well.... and you want high viscosity oil in your transmission
i mean, if any damage will come from it, you'll know soon enough. you already changed it 3 times so... if it fails, i guess you'll know why. but maybe it won't, and you will be lucky, but it cost my brother a transmission when he changed his.

EDIT: i was actually talking to mikekantor. but his had water, so he had t change it.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:12 AM

I wouldn't do a flush but I would change the fluid and add a Tranny cooler with an inline filter.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:18 PM

I remember a while ago i did it to an 75 olds cutlass salon. Which they stole.Mechanic didnt want to do it. Cause he didnt want to be responsible because of the high milage. But i signed a receipt saying he wasnt going to be responsible. I maybe lucked out. Car ran good. Big decision here. Dont wanna burn the MAX.But knowing the way I am im always taking risks and in no mood to be looking for a tranny.Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mikekantor how many miles on your MAX when you did this fluid change?