3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Camber/caster plates project semi done, alignment went well

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 10:56 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Today I went to local PepBoys for the alignment. Matt I was unable to sit in the drivers seat as suggested cause I was too busy looking at the screen and what the tech was doing. I did empty my trunk of all my junk (tools,boots,oil drain container,service manual,etc) except for audio mods and I decided to fill up with half a tank instead of a full tank.

Anyway the alignment went well, all three front end measurements were able to bring into specs, no more "Set the toe and let it go" We were able to get total of about 2.75 degree total camber movement from maximum neg to pos. Could have been more if we unloaded the chassis, take the wheels of the alignment plates. The total caster movement I didn't get because the tech was able to adjust camber and caster the same time. And we did do a caster swing after each adjustment to make sure it stayed were we put it, and it did.

The drive home was unbelievable, this is how those Nissan designers intended for the car to drive. They just never designed it for our after-market suspensions and 235/45-17 tires. All this time I thought my car was pulling due to the tires (radial pull) but now it's as straight as can be. The steering wheel is once again straight, no more 10* off center.

The reason I say the project semi done because we have to figure out a way to make this install easier. If you remember I used rubber bands to prevent the bolts from dropping while installing into the tower.

Again these plates are made from 6061-T6 billet aluminum 3/8" thick. Grade eight bolts and nuts will be used with all the plates. I made sure to used a long enough bolt for the tower incase you have a strut bar, the bolt length will accomodate the strut bar bracket plus a flat and lock washer plus nut, since you'll be replace the OEM lock-type nut.

And finally for the price, how about $270 delivered to your front door we will pay for shipping. This includes our friends across the Atlantic and down under.

You can check my photo album/homepage for all my project pics http://community.webshots.com/user/candiman_93se

And for those with busted strut boots this will give you a perfect time to replace the boots. I got mine from the parts store, in the Monroe catalog.

ENJOY