3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I Really really need some help finding some mods 4 this 92 max

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2000, 03:48 PM
MILLENIUM MAX

I hav seen some upgrade parts around 4 my 92 max but nothing really big.does anyone know about the 300zx motor swap and how to perform 1.Please let me know because i wanna upset my friend and his m3(show off mike).I wanna hit him hard when he least expect it.The mods that i currently hav on my car is a greedy cat back,r/t free flow cat,asp ud pulleys,place racing cai,port&polish heads,honed intake,light weight fly and stage 1 clutch,and a venom 400.All of these and i still can't kick his $**

Old 10-21-2000, 05:52 PM

Try getting an NOS kit. That should give him a run for the money. Esspecially with your 5-speed.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed

Old 10-21-2000, 06:04 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally posted by chris92gxe
Try getting an NOS kit. That should give him a run for the money. Esspecially with your 5-speed.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed

The 300zx engine swap should be simple. I think everyone is just overwhelmed with such an idea. Yeah, the exhaust manifold will have to be cut for the turbo side and the Maxima bottom of the manifold welded on or something, motor mounts should swap. Get the engine, ecu, and motor wiring harness and the rest should be only time consuming. I know a guy who put a 300zx turbo in his Nissan truck. I thought the blocks wouldn't work with the truck tranny, but appearantly so. He just took off the turbo so he didn't have to do an ecu change and it ran fine, increased hp of course. Anybody got a cherry picker?
Old 10-21-2000, 06:09 PM

Thats what I have always thought too. I was going to buy a 95SE max engine and swap it in my car. Then I could buy the supercharger for it. I think just the swap itself would make ahell of a difference compared to my VG engine. I still know it could be done, but I want to find out the potential of my VG.

Old 10-21-2000, 06:23 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Thats what I have always thought too. I was going to buy a 95SE max engine and swap it in my car. Then I could buy the supercharger for it. I think just the swap itself would make ahell of a difference compared to my VG engine. I still know it could be done, but I want to find out the potential of my VG.

I called International Parts Search to get a price a year ago on a 300zx turbo. $950 dollars for one that had around 40,000 miles on it, in writing! I figure with wire harness and computer, for $1500 and labor, this can be done. Kinda like the Calipers off a Z, someone needs to go out to a junk yard and see if they match up. I just bought new slotted for mine or I would do it.
Old 10-21-2000, 06:51 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally posted by Chris Gregg

Can the timing be modified on an '89 Max? My car backfires every now and then, I think becuase I have no exhaust restriction (straight pipe/ no converter!) except a glass pack and tip. Would advancing help this?
I called International Parts Search to get a price a year ago on a 300zx turbo. $950 dollars for one that had around 40,000 miles on it, in writing! I figure with wire harness and computer, for $1500 and labor, this can be done. Kinda like the Calipers off a Z, someone needs to go out to a junk yard and see if they match up. I just bought new slotted for mine or I would do it.
Old 10-21-2000, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by MILLENIUM MAX
I hav seen some upgrade parts around 4 my 92 max but nothing really big.does anyone know about the 300zx motor swap and how to perform 1.Please let me know because i wanna upset my friend and his m3(show off mike).I wanna hit him hard when he least expect it.The mods that i currently hav on my car is a greedy cat back,r/t free flow cat,asp ud pulleys,place racing cai,port&polish heads,honed intake,light weight fly and stage 1 clutch,and a venom 400.All of these and i still can't kick his $**
First off how much does your car dyno to the wheels? Have you been to the track to get some timeslips? Unless he has the 3.0 M3 his car has way more power than yours does. If you can't beat him now be prepared to spend lots of $$ to win. You should get the JWT ECU with NOS program, then run 50shot. This mod along with drag radials should get you into the 13's. With those mods your VE should be running mid-low 14's. I would like to see a dyno chart of your car so we know how much power you have. It takes a supercharged 4th gen max to beat a M3 so you will need a ways to go.
Old 10-22-2000, 12:04 PM

The NOS should do it for sure if a 4th gen w/SC can beat an M3. Expect better results from NOS than from the SC even with just a 50 shot.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 10-22-2000, 05:10 PM
Get Off My Lawn

The NOS should do it for sure if a 4th gen w/SC can beat an M3. Expect better results from NOS than from the SC even with just a 50 shot.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Don't want to go Nitrous! This is my daily driver at 140,000 miles. I've just started taking it to the track and quickest run was mid 16's. I know I could do better cause my fastest response time is like .700 and my wheels get loose on take off cause the 5 speed and dropping the clutch too hard. With work I know that I can run low 16's or high 15's. I just don't have the experience! Plus, my lard A@#$ weighs like 300 pounds! There is no place to dyno my car around here or I would, I'd like to perfectly set my fuel pressure riser!
Old 10-22-2000, 09:00 PM

My car is a daily driver with like 160,000 miles. Do you think that NOS is gonna blow your engine or something. Its perfectly safe to run if installed correctly. With a 50shot I can almost guarantee at least a second off your ET's, even if you cant drive. For the money its definitely the best mod you can get.

Old 10-22-2000, 09:04 PM
Get Off My Lawn

My car is a daily driver with like 160,000 miles. Do you think that NOS is gonna blow your engine or something. Its perfectly safe to run if installed correctly. With a 50shot I can almost guarantee at least a second off your ET's, even if you cant drive. For the money its definitely the best mod you can get.

No, not scared of blowing enging, that would only give me a reason to drop a 300z in the car! I've been told by Nissan techs and a friend who's family used to own a Nissan dealership in my area that the pistons, in the long run, can't handle it. Nitrous will burn a hole in the pistons, not "blow" the engine. Just don't wanna take the chance unless I replace the pistons first and the gain just doesn't seem great enough to replace pistons just for a small shot of nitrous. Plus, I've already replaced one 5-speed tranny.
Old 10-22-2000, 09:08 PM

If you replace the pistons than you can mod on a whole new level. That is what I plan on doing, and changing a few other things offcourse like the fuelpump. After all this you can run a big shot and gain like 200hp. After all that work it would still be cheaper than a turbo or engine swap, and it would also easily take them on the track.

Old 10-22-2000, 09:10 PM
Get Off My Lawn

If you replace the pistons than you can mod on a whole new level. That is what I plan on doing, and changing a few other things offcourse like the fuelpump. After all this you can run a big shot and gain like 200hp. After all that work it would still be cheaper than a turbo or engine swap, and it would also easily take them on the track.

What is the deal with the new fuel pumps? Why not go with just a fuel pressure riser? Easy to install.
Old 10-22-2000, 09:15 PM

I dont know if the stock pump could handle the fuel load of a big shot of NOS. With all that money in pistons I'd want to make sure my fuel mixture right. If its not, thats when your NOS system will start taking rods for prisoners.