3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ROADKILL: Max takes Mustang to the cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2000, 09:35 AM

I've had my share of incidents where I've been the agressor, but this time was different. You see, I was just minding my own business when I was entering an on ramp to a rural four lane highway, when I see a white Mustange all blacked out in the front (and rear). I entered the highway, passed two cars, and promptly switched into the right lane at 85 mph. Here comes the Rustang, on my rear, a little too close. I looked in my rear view mirror, to see it was a couple of guys probably in their lower 20's. They went out in the left lane and pulled up beside me, the passenger looking over. I looked over, and they just paused there. I immediately took notice to the badge on the door, which indicated a V6 Mustang. So they hang there until I have to back off to fall behind them in order to pass an upcoming car. So, I fell back, switched to the left lane, passed the car, then got on it and passed the Stang with some authority, pulling back in the right lane and backing down to around 90. Here comes the Stang, probably doing at least 100 mph coming up to pass again. I tapped my brake lights to make it known I was not accelerating. They pulled up next to me and paused (at this time 85 mph again). I looked over, the passenger was looking over at me. I took my hand and gave the (pass on the blackjack table motion). I proceeded to open the Max up and just simply dominated and walked away. All 4 doors, pushing away from the Rust. I wish I could have heard them in there. I backed down to 85 again, tapping my brakes, and they passed. Lesson over.

Old 10-22-2000, 12:25 PM

Man. I find that kind of hard to believe. The V-6 stangs are a lot quicker than our VG engines. I know you guys werent racing off the line but I still think a stang should take our max's unless you have substansial mods. I could take one with my NOS but I rally doubt it without it. If you did though, I give you props. But just remember that it was only a V-6. The V-8's are the real stangs. When you beat one of these, then you can have something to brag about.

]

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 10-22-2000, 12:35 PM

I'm not sure which V6 I raced, but once again, it wasn't a struggle to win. This was the previous generation body style- I have no idea what year it was. Also don't forget the "person" factor. If there was an extra 200 lbs in the car, that's close to 20 hp loss, as Steve Cutcheon once mentioned from the Maxima list (or a value therebouts).
Old 10-22-2000, 04:32 PM

O.K. Well the 94'-98' V-6 stangs are considerably slower than the newer ones. Did you say you beat him by a long shot? I still figure that the car should at least be able to keep up. If it was civic I'd understand, but I've driven to many Mustangs to think that you totally destroy it. I believe you though. Maybe your stock Max is a hell of a lot faster than mine was.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 10-22-2000, 04:40 PM

They could have been driving an auto V6 mustang. They are slow as hell. My cousin has a 96 Mustang auto and I've raced him numerous times with my old SkyBlue 90 SE auto and beat him everytime.

Originally posted by chris92gxe
O.K. Well the 94'-98' V-6 stangs are considerably slower than the newer ones. Did you say you beat him by a long shot? I still figure that the car should at least be able to keep up. If it was civic I'd understand, but I've driven to many Mustangs to think that you totally destroy it. I believe you though. Maybe your stock Max is a hell of a lot faster than mine was.

Old 10-22-2000, 04:56 PM

Chris, are my mods not showing up on your browser, I'm not stock. Also, I've been on the list a few years and there was an account of a 93 GXE beating a Mustang GT!!! Yeah, there was some doubters there too. I've heard that the automatics were not that fast on that 4.6 V8 either. Low 16's/high 15's on the V8 autos I heard?? Now just because I don't have nitrous like you do, doesn't mean that I'm slow. The V6 Mustang I raced was weak and I bet I would have still got him stock. In 15 seconds, I was a good 3 - 4 car lenghts ahead of him. I'm guessing I'm at about 16.5 or less now myself. I've heard the first V6 Mustangs are up on the mid 17's awhile back, but I don't have the data to prove it. What are the new V6 Stangs at? My friend said they were at 190 hp. There were at least two people in there, which would bring them down. I don't know how the torque/horsepower curves match to the VG engine. All I know is that it was reading M A X I M A as I pulled ahead from him into the triple digits. The Mustang could not keep up and did not keep up. I steadily pulled away, I think my 15 seconds/ 3 car length is a fair estimate, which gives a car length every 5 seconds. Furthermore, I think it hit a limiter of some sort, which made me pull ahead even more. If you keep the bottle off, I'll give you a little taste myself- come on over to Indy.

I might be talking to you soon about your nitrous setup, as I'm interested. I was thinking of putting a 40 hp shot in awhile back. Do you think it's worth it? Is it a big straing on your tranny? Let me know. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2000, 06:48 PM

Hey guys. I don't doubt what Bryan91SE says for a second. Don't quote me because I may be wrong, but I believe the 94' through 98' rustang V6 had 140HP, 20 less than a VG-powered Max SE. Torque wise I believe it had more than a Max,but the stang weighs about the same. Also, a good running VG 5 speed Max SE (totally stock) will do 0-60 in about 8 seconds flat and top out at about 130 mph. My old 85' 300ZX N/A couldn't touch that!!! With Bryan's car being an auto, it wouldn't be quite as fast in a racing start off the line, but performance would not suffer at all in the type of freeway mid-speed race he encountered, especially with his mods. Good job Bryan!
Hell, even a 4.6 96' through 98' 5 speed rustang GT wasn't that fast. They could only manage 0-60 in about 7.1 seconds with the scant 215HP that they offered. I think a VE-powered Max SE 5 speed could spank that one with a good driver. The cobra, of course, was an entirely different story!!! We wouldn't want to F--- with one of those without a turbo VG or serious NOS.

Best Regards,

Ben

Old 10-22-2000, 07:39 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

i'd believe it too. i smoked a v6 rustang. he had cobra stuff all over it, but it turned out to be a v6 with a bunch of cobra gt crap all over it. and it was a stick. we raced from a rolling start, so when i floored it the engine revved all the way up, kicked into gear, and i just left him.he had a stick and chirped the tires but but didnt go very fast doing it. he was so pissed. i have the ve, but i dont think the vg was that much slower.
Old 10-22-2000, 07:51 PM

Mustang

I don't doubt the story either the V6 stangs of that gen were prolly a close/fair match to a VE/modded VG except in turning where mustangs always rule. But when you get into the GT's I wouldn't even begin to say a stock VE could touch a stock 4.6 V8 'stang. You may say "oh I got the bottle, y pipe, exhaust, intake" watever...but a mustang can get all those same things/a lot more and if u put the same money into that GT as you do in your max you would get twice the results. I love the Max and all, its a great car...but the mustang IS a sports car when strapped with a V8. My bro has a 400+ hp 97 stang...superchip, supercharger, exhaust, new heads, and a lot more. It breaths fire after a day with Steeda. It's a bad car, if you had a drive you'd be wishing you had one. prolly, at leats I did.

PJ
Old 10-22-2000, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Bryan91SE
Chris, are my mods not showing up on your browser, I'm not stock. Also, I've been on the list a few years and there was an account of a 93 GXE beating a Mustang GT!!! Yeah, there was some doubters there too. I've heard that the automatics were not that fast on that 4.6 V8 either. Low 16's/high 15's on the V8 autos I heard?? Now just because I don't have nitrous like you do, doesn't mean that I'm slow. The V6 Mustang I raced was weak and I bet I would have still got him stock. In 15 seconds, I was a good 3 - 4 car lenghts ahead of him. I'm guessing I'm at about 16.5 or less now myself. I've heard the first V6 Mustangs are up on the mid 17's awhile back, but I don't have the data to prove it. What are the new V6 Stangs at? My friend said they were at 190 hp. There were at least two people in there, which would bring them down. I don't know how the torque/horsepower curves match to the VG engine. All I know is that it was reading M A X I M A as I pulled ahead from him into the triple digits. The Mustang could not keep up and did not keep up. I steadily pulled away, I think my 15 seconds/ 3 car length is a fair estimate, which gives a car length every 5 seconds. Furthermore, I think it hit a limiter of some sort, which made me pull ahead even more. If you keep the bottle off, I'll give you a little taste myself- come on over to Indy.

I might be talking to you soon about your nitrous setup, as I'm interested. I was thinking of putting a 40 hp shot in awhile back. Do you think it's worth it? Is it a big straing on your tranny? Let me know. Thanks.

Now that you say that it was an automatic that makes a whole difference. If I lived a little closer to you I would come up and give you a shot. My car is pretty fast with the bottle, but I'll admit without it my auto GXE lets me down sometimes. I think that a 40hp shot on your stock tranny wont hurt a thing. I think my shot runs like 85hp and its a big difference. I'm hoping a new Torque Converter and VB upgrade should move me up to 5-speed times, but up untill I do that I'll be doing some engine work to show some of these damn compacts around here a taste for their money. If you got any questions about the bottle just let me know.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed
Old 10-22-2000, 09:56 PM

Re: Mustang

I know what you mean. I had the chance to "tool around" in my boss's Corvette C5 this summer, which was also modded. You simply can't compare that to the Maxima- they're just not in the same class. Do you know the numbers for the 215 hp 4.6 L Automatic Mustang? I remember seeing low 15's for the 5 speed at one time. I remember like 3 years ago there being a huge debate on the list about a 3rd generation VE 5speed v. a Mustang GT 5 speed. Car and Driver had the numbers the same between the two cars. So it was close. However, the GT's now have 260 hp if I'm not mistaken and are out of our league.

Originally posted by speednsound007
I don't doubt the story either the V6 stangs of that gen were prolly a close/fair match to a VE/modded VG except in turning where mustangs always rule. But when you get into the GT's I wouldn't even begin to say a stock VE could touch a stock 4.6 V8 'stang. You may say "oh I got the bottle, y pipe, exhaust, intake" watever...but a mustang can get all those same things/a lot more and if u put the same money into that GT as you do in your max you would get twice the results. I love the Max and all, its a great car...but the mustang IS a sports car when strapped with a V8. My bro has a 400+ hp 97 stang...superchip, supercharger, exhaust, new heads, and a lot more. It breaths fire after a day with Steeda. It's a bad car, if you had a drive you'd be wishing you had one. prolly, at leats I did.

PJ
Old 10-23-2000, 04:28 AM

Yup, the new 260 HP GT's are animals. Around 1 second quicker in most all catagories: 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. Out of a VE's league, a total embarrassment to a VG.

Old 10-23-2000, 05:10 AM

Re: Re: Mustang

Heres some info I found on the web, that might help.

1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0--- 6.4- 14.9
1991 Ford Mustang GT--- 7.3- 15.6
1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0--- 6.2- 14.8
1993 Ford Mustang Cobra--- 5.9- 14.5
1993 Ford Mustang GT(auto)--- 8.0- 16.1
1994 Ford Mustang Cobra--- 6.9- 15.3
1994 Ford Mustang GT--- 6.7- 15.1
1995 Ford Mustang 3.8--- 9.9- 17.3
1995 Ford Mustang Cobra R--- 5.2- 13.8
1996 Ford Mustang Cobra--- 5.5- 14.0
1998 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT--- 5.4- 14.0
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT--- 5.4- 13.9
1999 Ford Mustang Convertible V6--- 8.6- 16.5
1999 Ford Mustang GT--- 5.5- 14.1

-Jon

Old 10-23-2000, 05:14 AM

no doubt you beat the v-6 mustang. I kept side by side with a 94 - 98' GT without any mods, 5 speed stang at that. i got alot better jump and the guy couldn't drive worth a damn but i still hung side by side and then around 55 he started to pull very slowly. He was trying also cause you could hear that thing give it all it has.
Old 10-23-2000, 06:31 AM

Thanks for those numbers Jon. Interesting, it looks like a third generation could hold very well against a '99 V6 Mustang. I assume the non-convertible model would be even heavier, making it slower. I'm almost sure I could produce those numbers at a track right now with my car. As for the other V6. 9.9 to 60? Wow! That's really slow. I know the VG is close to a second faster than that stock in an auto.
Old 10-23-2000, 07:54 AM

I knew a kid with a 95 rustang 3.8 auto and that thing was dog sh*t. He put 5.0 bagdes all over it but every one knew he was full off sh*t because the way it performed. In my 99 wrangler 5 speed 4.0 he had trouble keeping up.
Old 10-23-2000, 07:54 AM

going to school in College Station, TX...

This seems like Rustang territory. I can't even count how many of them are down here. Every once in a while one of them hears me step on it (SSYpipe+hiflowcat)...and they think to themselves who is this moron, that can't be fast its not a mustang or a camaro even. So we race...and many more times than not I show the GT his guts. I don't look for the stoplight races tho, I'm smarter than that. Have raced a few at 45 punch (2 old school 5.0's, couple GT's<95GT & ?>). Well, to make a long story short they have all been taken with the exception of a GT when I had only an intake. Moral of the story is don't race a RWD car from a stoplight with your Max, but show them your rolling power especially if you have quite a few mods.

Later

Bret
sorry no love for the rustang here, wrong board
Old 10-23-2000, 10:28 AM

your track results- how were they?

Bret, I knew you posted awhile back on the other bbs that you were going to the track. How were the results? I replied as did some others for tips. Did you get them?
Old 10-23-2000, 11:17 AM

Man, many sport utes and pickup trucks could spank that 3.8 rustang! Pretty sad. I can't wait until I get my 91' SE so that I can spank one. Only a week to go before she's mine!!! Whoooo Hooooo!!!!!

Old 10-23-2000, 05:39 PM

Bryan91SE

I took it to the track but no one was there so I emailed the webmaster of Texas A&M Sports Car Club's sight and...He said sorry he didn't put it on the website but track closed due to inclement weather. So blegh,...next time this old old strip is open in Navasota, TX (to the sports car club) is Nov.1st. I'll run it then. I forget what was said on shift points and launch tho...I kinda have an idea. Slip clutch at 2500 for launch, not too much spin, and ~6000rpm shifts? Hopefully they'll line me up with a stock 4.6gt or something similar, hehehe. I'll let you know what happens.

Laterz
Old 10-23-2000, 05:45 PM

I'm sorry bro but if you race against a stock 4.6 5-speed, you'll get your *** kicked. My cousin has a 99' GT. It hauls ***. The specs dont show it in motor trend but the torque stangs have is unbelievable. I'd place my bet on the stang in that race.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed

Old 10-23-2000, 06:28 PM
Johnny Blaze

INFO ON VQ vx VE engines

Hey Chris92gxe keep in mind how great that you think your GXE is. But,.....the SE model which Bryan has will eat a Mustang if you know how to drive. I also have a SE mine is 5 spd, even faster than the auto SE. Heres the difference. Your VG engine is weaker than the VE engine which Bryan and I have in out SE cars. If you know how to drive stick and can get your hands on a 3rd gen 5spd SE model you will get the understanding of this cars awesome power. Quick tip: what ever cars a stock 300zx can beat, the 5spd SE w VE engine can eat for lunch too. I've beaten camaros, firebirds, mustangs, civics, VTEC integras and others on the highway and off the line. The only sacrafice is the tread on my front tires :-)

Old 10-23-2000, 06:31 PM

I know an SE would woop my ***, but there is no way you will beat a 5-speed mustang without having NOS or a turbo. No way, go to a dealership and drive a new Mustang. I'll let you know I can drive, and with a 5- speed I'll rave the best of ya.

Old 10-23-2000, 06:32 PM

I think you underestimate the VG aswell.
Old 10-23-2000, 06:36 PM

I have the damn car, I know what its capable of without NOS and TC/SC. They will not beat even a stock 4.6 GT. Try racing other V-6's for now cause your not going to beat a newer V-8 sports car with a good driver.

Old 10-23-2000, 06:41 PM

I was talkin to Blaze.
And Beating a V-8 Sports Car and Putting up one hell of a fight with a V-8 sports car in your V-6 4 Door Sports Car are to different things.

I know i will loose against a good driver in a New Stang GT. But i also know i will give it one hell of a shot and put up one hell of a fight for my 10 year old V-6 "grocery getter".
Old 10-23-2000, 06:43 PM

True that man. Just stating a point.

Old 10-23-2000, 06:44 PM

It's all good.
I hope you kick some stang *** at the track when you get it all done. It's starting to turn into a war between stangs and max's.
Old 10-23-2000, 07:23 PM

I think that the older 4.6 GT's can be beaten by a modified VG and a stock VE. The older 4.6's had 215 hp, and their numbers corresponded with the VE Max in a 5 speed to 5 speed comparison. HOWEVER, the new GT's have 260 hp as of 1999 I believe. Those, we cannot beat and are out of our league. I feel that if Bret89SEr with his 5 speed, raced a automatic 4.6 L GT V8 Mustang with 215 hp, he would win. I think that model GT runs the quarter in low 16's. All of my car and drivers are at my parents house, but I would love to look up the 215 hp GT engine in the Mustang that came out in 1994. Moreover, I also recall them slowing upping the horsepower throughout the mid to late 90's. So, because of the variation, there may be different outcomes. But, once again, the one I would love to go up against (and would probably lose to) or have someone in a 5 speed VE or modded VG go up against is a 4.6 L 215 hp automatic GT Mustang. That is the GT that I know is beatable by the stock VE 5 speed and quite possibly by other 3rd generation Maximas.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chris92gxe
[I]I have the damn car, I know what its capable of without NOS and TC/SC. They will not beat even a stock 4.6 GT. Try racing other V-6's for now cause your not going to beat a newer V-8 sports car with a good driver.

Old 10-23-2000, 07:48 PM

Just for everyone's common knowledge the 94' and 95' rustang still used the old 5.0 (302 CID) pushrod OHV V-8 from the 87-93 stang (with 10 less horses). Ford dropped the 4.6 OHC V-8 into the engine bay for 96'.

Old 10-23-2000, 07:57 PM

Ohh, thanks Benny. I think I remember that now.
Old 10-24-2000, 12:24 AM

A stock Maxima wont beat any V-8 mustang in the 90's. They all run in the 14's. A heavily modded max could easilt beat a stock stang, but wont even come close to a modded stang. Thats why my next car will be a 94 cobra. They haul *** when modded, and are the funnest cars I've ever driven.

Old 10-24-2000, 07:57 AM

Have fun with...

the archaic suspension...unless you're goin in a straight line that suspension sucks. Can you say solid rear axle.

Old 10-24-2000, 08:01 AM

chris92gxe

Go get a job or something...You post way too much on this board. Maybe you should get a job so you can support the 250 shot or whatever it will take to get your auto vg to 400hp. And as for beating V8 stangs I've beaten more than I can count on one hand...sure they were probably all stock but thats not the point. Go get your 94 Cobra cause you're not worthy of a VG.
Old 10-24-2000, 01:55 PM

Re: chris92gxe

Originally posted by Bret89SER
Go get a job or something...You post way too much on this board. Maybe you should get a job so you can support the 250 shot or whatever it will take to get your auto vg to 400hp. And as for beating V8 stangs I've beaten more than I can count on one hand...sure they were probably all stock but thats not the point. Go get your 94 Cobra cause you're not worthy of a VG.

Thanks for the oppinion ***. I have an income of "0" while I'm in school right now and my auto VG will still kick your's ***. Not worthy of a VG ey, well just because I like Mustangs I'm some kinda traitor. Sure man. You race all thr stangs you want, and I hope it feels good, but when you come up to me at the line don't expect a win.

Old 10-24-2000, 02:09 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

CAT FIGHT!! he he, just messing with you guys. but i do agree with chris. just cuz he likes mustangs, doesnt mean he's a traitor. and you guys do know that max's cant beat everything and he's just saying that. it's ok for people to like things other than maxima's.
Old 10-24-2000, 04:21 PM

Thanks James, thats the only point I'm trying to prove. I got nothing against anyone on this forum, but some guys just think that their Max's are unbeatable. I like to think of my Max as fast, but thats only compared to other compacts or luxury's. I dont try to compare it with V-8 sports cars, because the truth is that if a V-8 has the same mods you do he's gonna be faster. If you guys are all about speed and not about the originality of customizing a Maxima you have the wrong car. Go get a sports car. The whole thrill of making A Max fast isnt the speed itself, its knowing you've got a car like no other.

Old 10-24-2000, 04:28 PM

How did we get on the subject of V-8's, when this whole thread is about V-6 rustangs. V-8's are in a whole differant power range than V-6's. Now back to the origanal subject V-6 Rustang against Maxima. We should all know that a V-8 sports car will beat a maxima because of the two extra cyclinders.
Old 10-24-2000, 04:41 PM

The year the 4.6 L V8 was introduced (1996?) is the year a third generation VE could run with. 5 speed v. 5 speed, Car and Driver had the numbers almost identical in two tests independently on each car (not a comparison between Max and Mustang). So, with that being said, that 215 hp V8 could be beaten, especially if the Max was a 5 speed and the Mustang an automatic. Not saying it would be an easy win, but it could go either way.

I urge everyone to keep an open mind here. I'm going to have to stop posting my road kills before a BBS kill is posted!

One more word, driver skill has a lot to do with who will win a race too- especially when the numbers are this close.
Old 10-24-2000, 06:51 PM

Thanks James, thats the only point I'm trying to prove. I got nothing against anyone on this forum, but some guys just think that their Max's are unbeatable. I like to think of my Max as fast, but thats only compared to other compacts or luxury's. I dont try to compare it with V-8 sports cars, because the truth is that if a V-8 has the same mods you do he's gonna be faster. If you guys are all about speed and not about the originality of customizing a Maxima you have the wrong car. Go get a sports car. The whole thrill of making A Max fast isnt the speed itself, its knowing you've got a car like no other.
to 5-speed.
isn't that exactly what I was saying a couple pages ago??? And someone said something about Mustangs having bad handling? but last time i checked they are some of the BEST handling cars, smoking the camaro/firebirds...Not too expensive either. Someone gonna call me a traitor now?

Quick Reply: ROADKILL: Max takes Mustang to the cleaners