3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Questions questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2000, 09:18 PM
marke

This is my first post on this forum.

I just recently bought a 90 Maxima GXE. I love the car to death but have some issues. Just so you know, I have very limited knowledge about cars in general (working on that part).

First off, my car leaks. The front windshield has a gap somewhere in the top driver side section. I've tried using the windshield plaster stuff but have had no luck. I plastered the hell out of the entire top windshield but can't find out where the freaking water is coming in. I know I'll probably have to have it done professionaly (grumble grumble) but does anyone have any advice? How much does something like that cost to get fixed?

Another complaint... my breaks squeak when I first turn the car on. They will squeak for a little bit until I attain some higher speeds and break more. What exactly does this mean? My break fluid level is right where it should be. Is there a problem somewhere with the brake fluid transfer? My car breaks fine, it's just annoying and embarrasing hearing that damn sqeaking whenever I first start driving the car.

Last complaint. The seatbelt light in my car periodically turns itself on and starts beeping. It will turn on and then off really fast, or it'll turn on and stay on for 30 seconds, or it'll just stay off. It doesn't matter whether or not both seatbelts are fastened. It's kind of tempermental. Why does this happen?

I want to get these little things fixed before I actually start concentrating on modifying the car.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 10-22-2000, 09:24 PM

Well most of the Max's with drums tend to make thatc squelling sound. Mine used to do it to but after I had them cleaned I havent had the noise anymore. As for the seatbelt thing that beats me. Once again it does that in my car every so often. Its kinda annoying cause when I have a passenger they always ask "whats that" I guess Its something you have to get used to. I'm sure its in the computer so I'm sure you can get it reset. I dont personally worry about it cause it dont slow me down.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed

Old 10-22-2000, 09:57 PM

Wassup marke! Im new to this place to and am also getting my 90' maxima gxe tomarrow! Do you put the manual lap belt on when you drive and does it still beep? That may be your problem. My breaks squeaked a bit on the test drive too, when i first started out.
Old 10-23-2000, 03:12 PM
marke

What color is champagne? I think that might be mine. Not sure though. Mine is kind of a gold/brownish tint, but it is not the light gold color that is pretty common among Maxima's.

I try to remember to put the manual lap belt on whenever I can. I was just in a horrendous car crash where my best friend lost part of her hand. I wasn't wearing my seatbelt and got flipped into the backseat (It was a side collision with a telephone pole). Either way, the beeping doesn't go away if I put the lap belt on. I've heard that if you don't wear the lap belt, in a front end collision, the seatbelt would strangle you.

How much does it cost to have the drums cleaned? I might want to have that done.

Thanks.

Old 10-23-2000, 04:10 PM

take your seatbelts into a Nissan dealer. Seatbelts have a lifetime guarantee, and if one of your motors is going out it will do that.
Old 10-23-2000, 04:23 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally posted by Sith
take your seatbelts into a Nissan dealer. Seatbelts have a lifetime guarantee, and if one of your motors is going out it will do that.
The water may not be comming in through your windshield! If you have a moonroof then the seals around it could be leaking down into the floor. The brake thing could just be dust!
Old 10-23-2000, 05:47 PM

Ya your brakes could be dust or if the person rode their brakes alot and slammed on them they could be glazed over, then all you have to do is get some sandpaper and sand the glaze off. I got cheap pads that the material on the back got so hot and warped off and flaked and got caught between the disc and pad so it squeels once ina while.
Old 10-23-2000, 05:53 PM

I think that his squeeking should be coming from his rear drums, not his front discs. I'm not sure he never specified, but thats where my squelling came from.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed

Old 10-23-2000, 06:02 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marke
[I]This is my first post on this forum.

I just recently bought a 90 Maxima GXE. I love the car to death but have some issues. Just so you know, I have very limited knowledge about cars in general (working on that part).

First off, my car leaks. The front windshield has a gap somewhere in the top driver side section. I've tried using the windshield plaster stuff but have had no luck. I plastered the hell out of the entire top windshield but can't find out where the freaking water is coming in. I know I'll probably have to have it done professionaly (grumble grumble) but does anyone have any advice? How much does something like that cost to get fixed?
>>>>>
make sure the car has not been in an accident. if yes then the frame around the windshield may be a little off and the flat glass my not sit right. like somone said..check around the sunroof also and see if it's leaking. pour some water on it and see if it leaks. try some clear/black silicone around the windshield. if that doesn't work have someone cut the seal..clean it out and reinstall it and see if that helps. figure 50 or 60 bucks to do that..maybe less.

Another complaint... my breaks squeak when I first turn the car on. They will squeak for a little bit until I attain some higher speeds and break more. What exactly does this mean? My break fluid level is right where it should be. Is there a problem somewhere with the brake fluid transfer? My car breaks fine, it's just annoying and embarrasing hearing that damn sqeaking whenever I first start driving the car.
>>>>
dust maybe.. do u have a hard time stopping when cold. the pads may have a high metal content. once it heats up the pads don't squeek. also if u don't drive too much it could be some surface rust on the rotors. also check if the pads are low.

Last complaint. The seatbelt light in my car periodically turns itself on and starts beeping. It will turn on and then off really fast, or it'll turn on and stay on for 30 seconds, or it'll just stay off. It doesn't matter whether or not both seatbelts are fastened. It's kind of tempermental. Why does this happen?
>>>>
well on my car the seat belt limiter switch was messed up. so if the seat belt was all the way back sometimes it wouldn't work correctly due to a fault switch and shoot off a signal to the dash. also make sure there's NO accident damage around the door area. the dealer WILL NOT fix it for free if there was any repair(s) in that area (door, frame, etc). other wise the seatbelts carry a life time warranty on the car.

I want to get these little things fixed before I actually start concentrating on modifying the car.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

good luck..
Dan
Old 10-23-2000, 08:26 PM
marke

thanks for the help everyone. hopefully i can find some solutions now.