3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 08:59 PM

I have the 94 Max SE with 155k miles on it. I have noticed a smell of gas in the compartment of the car when the gas tanks gets low. It got so bad the other day I had to get out of the car to get a breath of fresh air. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this problem? And does anyone know what to do to get rid of the smell? I don't see any visible signs of any leaks anywhere. I don't think it's a leak anyway cause it ONLY happens when the gas tank only has about 2 gallons or less in it.

Also, i do not post in here much, but I would like to thank whoever had the instructioins on grounding out the VTC, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I did mine back in Nov 2000 and I have not had a problem with that ticking noise since then.

Sidney
(sxwk12@aol.com)
Check out Da Max, the only one like it.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:16 PM

I know a couple people, including myself have had a problem with a gas smell in the cabin before. But for us, it happened when there was a drastic temperature change. Evidently there is a fuel line that rubs on the engine and gets very hot. When it gets hot it expands, but when it gets cold it shrinks. 7+ years of this expanding and contracting leads to cracking and small leaks that may only be apparent every once in a while. As for why your car does this with about 2 gallons of gas left, I have no idea.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:17 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

So dont let it get to 2 gallons or lower...
Old 08-07-2001, 09:26 PM
STFU n00b!

As Cincy said, it's probably a rubber hose that's loose. the reason you only smell it at low tank levels may be due to fuel pressure changes, but that's debatable.
Have the rubber fuel lines in the engine bay replaced, and see what that does. if you're a DIY type guy, you can probably do it yourself in under an hour, unless there are some hoses hiding under a manifold or something. I know there's one or two like that on the VG. haven't had enough experience with my VE yet to tell you. (but I will soon. ;-)

good luck, and please post your results and any other findings!
Old 08-08-2001, 05:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by sxwk12

Also, i do not post in here much, but I would like to thank whoever had the instructioins on grounding out the VTC, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I did mine back in Nov 2000 and I have not had a problem with that ticking noise since then.
that would be me
I remember you emailed me a while back when you first did it and you also sent me those sweet pics of your car.
In your email, you said if you ever got some money, you would send it my way too; I'm still waiting j/k

VE rewired-vtc POWER
Old 08-08-2001, 07:05 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by Cincy94Max
I know a couple people, including myself have had a problem with a gas smell in the cabin before. But for us, it happened when there was a drastic temperature change. Evidently there is a fuel line that rubs on the engine and gets very hot. When it gets hot it expands, but when it gets cold it shrinks. 7+ years of this expanding and contracting leads to cracking and small leaks that may only be apparent every once in a while. As for why your car does this with about 2 gallons of gas left, I have no idea.
just a side note...NO FUEL line should be rubbing anything..esp the engine. the fuel line itself gets warm from the engine heat in the engine compartment. but it should NOT rub on anything.

SX check the rubber hoses around the engine bay and towards the back ..around the gas tank.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:20 PM

I suppose you have a VG engine?

Anyway, I have a VG too and I had to get the fuel lines that lead to the fuel rails replace not too long ago. I got a good wiff of gas whenever it was cold out and sometimes when it was hot. I lifted the hood one time to investigate and I saw fuel leaking out from around the seal made by the rubber hose and the fuel rail under the intake manifold. I think it cost me about $300 when all was said and done and I haven't had that smell since.
Another thing. The Maxima's were recalled for a fuel problem back in their days. The hose that leads from the fill point to the tank had a nasty habit of rusting by the tank and cracking causing a fire hazard. Check out the tank and check to see if your car has been fixed of that problem. They should have put a rubber hose on the last 1/4 of the metal one to complete the delivery of fuel to the tank from the fill point. If all this fails, try checking all your connections along your fuel lines from the tank to the fuel rails. There's only so many places that could come from anyway.