3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

HELP! Disconnected wires causing transmission to go haywire...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 10:02 AM

Ok, I accidently disconnected some wires in the engine bay. I hooked them back together and now my transmission is acting like it is about to fail. Very hard 2-3 shift with almost a clunking noise. The wires seem to be the culprit because the transmission keeps going into fail safe mode whenever I disconnect them. The wires branch off from the bundle of wires that goes to the MAF. The smaller group of wires connects to a snap connector. Here is a little diagram:

wires-->| |
| |
top of snap in
connector

bottom of snap
in connector
| |
| |

The wires running out of the bottom part of the snap connector came out of the snap connector. The wires look identical and either one fits in either hole of the snap connector. I have tried driving the car with the wires connected one way, the other way, and not at all. Nothing seems to work. The transmission acts the same no matter what. Does anyone know which wire goes where?
Old 08-10-2001, 10:10 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by Cincy94Max
Ok, I accidently disconnected some wires in the engine bay. I hooked them back together and now my transmission is acting like it is about to fail. Very hard 2-3 shift with almost a clunking noise. The wires seem to be the culprit because the transmission keeps going into fail safe mode whenever I disconnect them. The wires branch off from the bundle of wires that goes to the MAF. The smaller group of wires connects to a snap connector. Here is a little diagram:

wires-->| |
| |
top of snap in
connector

bottom of snap
in connector
| |
| |

The wires running out of the bottom part of the snap connector came out of the snap connector. The wires look identical and either one fits in either hole of the snap connector. I have tried driving the car with the wires connected one way, the other way, and not at all. Nothing seems to work. The transmission acts the same no matter what. Does anyone know which wire goes where?
i would take a guess you disconnected the dropping resistor.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by DanNY

i would take a guess you disconnected the dropping resistor.
It seems to me, after looking at it again, that I'm not able to fully connect the wires. The wires don't stay in the connector no matter how I put them in. I have to use electrical tape to make sure they stay in there. That makes me wonder if the wires are actually connecting at all. Thank you for your help. The wires sit right next to the air filter and the connectors are mounted on a small black cylinder directly behind the air filter. Does that sound like the right place for the dropping resistor? Would disconnecting the dropping reisistor cause any permanent damage? Can I fix it myself or should I leave it alone and take it to a mechanic?
Old 08-10-2001, 11:00 AM

After doing some searching for "dropping resistor" I found answers to all of my questions. I did indeed disconnect the drop resistor and now I just have to figure out why it doesn't work when I reconnect it.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:17 PM
STFU n00b!

Yup.. you kiled it.. the connector itself is probably damaged. I'm heading to my dad's house in about an hour.. that's where my parts car is.. if you want me to chop off my dropping resistor and the connector (and a few inches of wire), I'll be glad to... paypal me $10, and give me your address and I'll ship it priority mail tomorrow morning. should be there by tuesday that way.