3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Speed Sensor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 08:18 AM
robmax91gxe

Help. Can someone please tell me how I'm supposed to unplug my speed sensor (91 GXE). I removed it from the socket, but I don't see how the wire comes off. Is it supposed to pop off or unscrew? Does the clip under the bottom of the yellow turbine thingy need to come off? I don't have the replacement for it yet, so maybe it will be obvious when I get it. BTW, Courtesy quoted me $120. I'm planning on checking the junkyards. Does anyone know what years would be good to grab. Would a 92-94 SE work, just 89-91 GXE???

Thanks - Rob

Old 08-13-2001, 10:06 AM
tazmoe

same problem 92 Maxima GXE

I took a look at my speed sensor today and tried to unbolt it from the transmission. I was able to take off the one bolt holding it into place and was able to remove a plastic black top looking(sort of like a cylintrical can looking)can looking thingie. My question is what exactly does the speed sensor looks like because when take off the bolt a chunk of metal came off with it. I think it suppose to hold the speed sensor down but I was only able to remove top of it not the bottom part. Can anyone give me a description of how it looks like and the removal process? I think I got the removal process down but I'm not sure...and is it true that it is held in tightly by a stubborn o-ring?

Old 08-13-2001, 10:11 AM
I'm needing a caw

The wire plug is a "squeeze and pull out" type of deal. Look on the side of the plug and you will see the part where you have to press in before the plug will seperate.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:36 AM
robmax91gxe

Originally posted by Jeff92se
The wire plug is a "squeeze and pull out" type of deal. Look on the side of the plug and you will see the part where you have to press in before the plug will seperate.
Thanks. I think I'll be able to get it now. I didn't want to yank too hard on it since I don't have anything to replace it with yet.

Anyone know what years would work for a 91 GXE??? I don't know the part numbers

Old 08-13-2001, 11:02 AM
I'm needing a caw

That I can't answer 100%, but I would say any 89-94 VG30 auto maxima will probably work.

Originally posted by robmax91gxe

Thanks. I think I'll be able to get it now. I didn't want to yank too hard on it since I don't have anything to replace it with yet.

Old 08-13-2001, 12:24 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by robmax91gxe

Search revealed some useful info:

Search result for "speed sensor number":

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

Search result for "speed sensor part":

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

The search results above revealed this post, which answered the original question about removal:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....art#post195132

[soapbox]Search is a tool that can be used by anyone.[/soapbox]

Like Jeff said, any 89 to 94GXE speed sensor should work. Based on the search results, a speed sensor for a 92 to 94SE doesn't look like a good idea.
Old 08-13-2001, 01:46 PM
robmax91gxe

Thanks for reminding our viewers how helpful the searching tools on this site can be. I spent a good couple of hours doing my research here to determine: a.) I had a speed sensor in my Maxima; b.) when the speedo and odo go dead together, it's probably due to the speed sensor; c.) the exact location of the unit and size of the nut; and d.) how to remove the unit from the socket. However, none of my searching found any references on how to get the wire plug off. So, since I know virtually nothing about cars (or speed sensors), I figured it was time to post. I tried hard not to waste anyone's time. Thanks to Jeff92SE for the "squeeze and pull out" trick. The next searcher will have one more helpful post to read.

Respectfully - RobMax91GXE

Old 08-14-2001, 03:23 AM

I got a spare speed sensor >> email me @ gen3@usa.com

lemme know if you want it.. it works and is used ..taken out of my car cause I thought it was dead, turned out to be the in dash unit (speedometer) etc..
Old 08-14-2001, 09:17 AM

Re: I got a spare speed sensor >> email me @ gen3@usa.com

Since you taken your speed sensor out, then maybe you can help me get mine out. I have a dead speedometer and odometer. Do you think the cause is a broken speed sensor or a dead speedometer?

Originally posted by mentor
lemme know if you want it.. it works and is used ..taken out of my car cause I thought it was dead, turned out to be the in dash unit (speedometer) etc..
Old 08-14-2001, 12:24 PM

Unplug your sensor under the hood, its next to the firewall above the tranny>>>

if the speedo still keeps on jumping then your speedometer head unit needs to be replaced, cheaply ~ can be done for around $50 if u find the right junk yard [ or go to car-parts.com ]

later
Old 08-14-2001, 01:08 PM

Your can check your sensor if you have a multimeter. Remove the sensor and unplug ig from the harness. Place the two probes into the output leads from the sensor and spin the plastic cog on the sensor. You shold get a small DC voltage.
No voltage, then a faulty sensor.

Brent.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:14 PM

Re: Unplug your sensor under the hood, its next to the firewall above the tranny>>>

Thanks, but it doesn't jump anymore, it started out that way then it just stopped working along with the odometer. i haven't gotten a chance to look at the sensor or taken apart my speedometer, so i'm not sure which it is. So do you have any suggestions as how to find out?

Originally posted by mentor
if the speedo still keeps on jumping then your speedometer head unit needs to be replaced, cheaply ~ can be done for around $50 if u find the right junk yard [ or go to car-parts.com ]

later
Old 08-14-2001, 05:05 PM

my speedo randomly cuts out, the odo still turns and the tach hasnt given me any trouble, someone said it was a loose solder joint, any ideas?
Old 08-14-2001, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by MaDMaX024
my speedo randomly cuts out, the odo still turns and the tach hasnt given me any trouble, someone said it was a loose solder joint, any ideas?
If your odo is still turning then it is getting the signal from the speed sensor. The gauge cluster is acutally 3 separate units inside the assembly. 1 unit for the temp, fuel etc; 1 for the speedo ; and 1 unit for the tacho. If you take your assembly out you will see what I mean. That's why your tacho is not playing up but your speedo is.

Each unit has its own PCB and solder connections. Also on the back of the gauge cluster assembly there is a circuit membrane which also has some solder joints, and screw connections. These should also be looked at.

Brent.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:26 AM

Where exactly is the speed sensor?

Hey after searching on how to remove the speed sensor, I still don't know where it is.. I thought you may be able to help me. I have a 91 GXE also and I tried looking for a cylinder thing on the transmission but with no luck. Is it accessible through the top or bottom? Is it close to the firewall? How many wires are connected to it? It would be great if you can guide me further.
Old 08-20-2001, 11:47 AM
robmax91gxe

Re: Where exactly is the speed sensor?

Originally posted by johnnyo319
Hey after searching on how to remove the speed sensor, I still don't know where it is.. I thought you may be able to help me. I have a 91 GXE also and I tried looking for a cylinder thing on the transmission but with no luck. Is it accessible through the top or bottom? Is it close to the firewall? How many wires are connected to it? It would be great if you can guide me further.

The sensor is located directly below the oil filter and about 1 inch toward the firewall. It has a single 10 mm bolt with a phillips head on it. There's also 1 medium thick wire going into the side of it. You can reach it pretty easily from the top of the driver's side.